Started by Legend, Jun 12, 2021, 08:06 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Jun 12, 2021, 08:06 PM Last Edit: Jun 12, 2021, 08:08 PM by Legend

Xevross

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandoraâ„¢ is a first person, action-adventure game developed by Massive Entertainment - a Ubisoft studio, in collaboration with Lightstorm Entertainment and Disney. Built using the latest iteration of the Snowdrop engine, and developed exclusively for the new generation of consoles and PC, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora brings to life the alluring world of Pandora with all of its beauty and danger in an immersive, open world experience. In this new, standalone story, play as a Na'vi and embark on a journey across the Western Frontier, a never-before-seen part of Pandora. Explore a living and reactive world inhabited by unique creatures and new characters, and push back the formidable RDA forces that threaten it.
First person? Oooooooooooooooooof. Gone way way down in my anticipated games order.

kitler53

not sure what to make of that.  portions looked amazing graphically, especially environments.  others looked hanky, especially characters.  

if that was to indicate gameplay it looks boring. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Also this was a bad trailer imo, didn't show anything interesting. Its basically just announcing they're making an Avatar game, which we already knew.

the-pi-guy

Weird to think that this is the second avatar release.

Legend

First person? Oooooooooooooooooof. Gone way way down in my anticipated games order.
I don't mind it being first person, most of the character animations looked a bit janky haha.

What I loved so much about this trailer is that it shows they're committed to the world. It felt like a love letter to Pandora and focused on the right stuff. Since this was "in engine" and release is only 1.5 years away, I think it does a good job showing the team's goals.

Legend

I think this might actually be the real game world.

The scene at 1:03 can be seen on the hill from 0:59.

Pop in can be seen at 2:08 in the lower right corner.

It has real time motion blur. Objects are blurred but their silhouettes stay sharp. Is what you would expect for a game at high settings.

Also saw a depth of field glitch at 2:16.

The helicopter explosion looks like a real game one, not something just for this showing.

The human base looks kinda simple on the inside. Seems designed for external gameplay, maybe raiding for explosives for arrows.

I'm not saying I expect the final game to look this good, but I think this trailer was much more comparable to real gameplay than it initially felt.

nnodley

Yeah while not really showing anything in depth. The dedication to making it feel like Pandora and all the beautiful lush environments is gonna be so good. Hopefully it's decently explorable and not super on rails.

BananaKing

I am thinking it will have gameplay somewhat similar to farcry if its first person. Probably a lot like farcry primal. But its a massive game, so maybe it will feel different.

I didnt think the trailer was good as a trailer to be honest. But they seemed to focus on the world and they seem to have put a lot of effort into it. Which seems cool. Theocratically PS5/XBX should be able to make games that look like that. But this is ubisoft so I expect a downgrade

Legend

I am thinking it will have gameplay somewhat similar to farcry if its first person. Probably a lot like farcry primal. But its a massive game, so maybe it will feel different.

I didnt think the trailer was good as a trailer to be honest. But they seemed to focus on the world and they seem to have put a lot of effort into it. Which seems cool. Theocratically PS5/XBX should be able to make games that look like that. But this is ubisoft so I expect a downgrade
I will be shocked if the trees stay that good looking. There are so many of them.

Grass is actually pretty simple at least when touching the sleeping animal. Don't know if they'll have to cut that back.

Need to watch again with a focus on lighting and reflections. Those tend to get scaled back a lot.

Xevross

Yeah I'm basically expecting Far Cry on Pandora from this.

Setting expectations fairly low.

Legend

Jun 13, 2021, 12:31 AM Last Edit: Jun 13, 2021, 12:33 AM by Legend

Official screenshots show the same scenes but different shots.

Legend

Jun 13, 2021, 02:36 AM Last Edit: Jun 13, 2021, 05:08 AM by Legend
I found a loot crate in the trailer lol.

It's already open so maybe it's just world building!

Also going against my theory that the trailer is the real game, an identical giant tree can be seen in the middle and at the end. I think this is because the chase jumps between map points, but it's also just a reused prop and nothing is final. The screenshots above and the trailer have minor asset changes too, beyond just camera location.

edt:

no signs of global illumination or raytraced reflections.* It is actually really interesting watching it on slow mo and noticing all the flaws. For example the scene in the helicopter when the guy is skewered by the arrow. His face mask shows the reflections of the sky even though at one point you should see the inside of the helicopter. Simultaneously there is a red light inside the helicopter that can be seen bouncing off a piece of metal below the helicopter which obviously shouldn't happen.

*The final shot shows reflections that are impossible with screen based reflections, but at the same time they partially act like screen space reflections. The flyer on the left flies in front of a log bridge stopping most of its reflection from rendering but not all of it.

Shadows also appear to be rasterized. During the shot in first person touching the animal, the shadow down to the left seems to jump from pixel to pixel. It is blurred making it less obvious. Also there are a few glitches of shadows disappearing for a frame or two, such as the lizard like animal when it moves away on the "fruit."

Temporal artifacts are everywhere. They are very good by video game standards, but this is definitely not cheating. One example is when the wolf like creatures are running across the field at around 30 seconds. Go frame by frame and you can see ghost lines caused by their tails.

Mesh geometry is easy to spot in a lot of places.

When the bulldozer like animals are knocking down the trees, they just "poof" into debris. The scene impressed me live but it actually looks like real video game destruction.

The main Na'vi has a bow when the helicopters first attack, then doesn't when they are running, and then does again when they are on the bird. I don't know why. Maybe it's because the game is played in first person so action with a weapon on your back isn't set up.

There is a human camp/tent at the end on the right. I think there will be friendly humans. This Na'vi is wearing a custom bullet proof vest by "TAP" I think.

Legend