PlayStation Partners have to pay for Cross play revenue disparities

Started by the-pi-guy, May 03, 2021, 05:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Document from the Epic vs Apple lawsuit:

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

I feel like this is largely getting taken out of context.  

I don't think it's the best policy, but I also suspect that it doesn't have the impact that a lot of people think it does.  

Legend

I feel like this is largely getting taken out of context.  

I don't think it's the best policy, but I also suspect that it doesn't have the impact that a lot of people think it does.  
Wait people are upset about this?

I think I'm just going to avoid the other place and not get sucked in by dumb drama  :P

Also kinda funny having the confidentiality notice on the slide, and also kinda unsettling having Tom Warren share people's emails.

the-pi-guy

Wait people are upset about this?
Yes...
A sample of the first 15 posts in a 1000 post thread:
Quote from: Xando, post: 64165938, member: 21387
Well that's iced up

Quote from: BananasWithGuns, post: 64166025, member: 15578
Uhh, wow, that's pretty scummy.

Quote from: BlackheartVinyl, post: 64166058, member: 72088
That's iced up.

And oh man, this lawsuit is gonna drop a lot of spicy nuggets.

Quote from: Dest, post: 64166094, member: 44485
Wow that super sucks

Quote from: Richter1887, post: 64166097, member: 16876
WTF

Quote from: Bansai, post: 64166130, member: 23345
Disgusting.

Quote from: Martin, post: 64166133, member: 1521
Haha wtf that seems scummy

Quote from: BadWolf, post: 64166148, member: 3562
Fighting games are iced.

Also kinda funny having the confidentiality notice on the slide, and also kinda unsettling having Tom Warren share people's emails.
It's all coming out of the Apple vs Epic lawsuit.

Legend

Yes...
A sample of the first 15 posts in a 1000 post thread:

It's all coming out of the Apple vs Epic lawsuit.
Is it supposed to also be made public? If it is then I retract my statement of course.

And I just said I don't want to get sucked in haha! Fanboys and entitled people gonna do what they do (although I would consider some of your quoted posts reasonable).

the-pi-guy

Is it supposed to also be made public? If it is then I retract my statement of course.

I'm not completely sure if it's supposed to made public.

Or at the very least it sounds like it came out earlier than it was supposed to.
And I just said I don't want to get sucked in haha! Fanboys and entitled people gonna do what they do (although I would consider some of your quoted posts reasonable).
Well I thought I'd let you know.  :P

BananaKing

People can call Sony out here all they want. But if it were their company they would have done the exact same thing.

As a company you need to make decisions that benefit yourself. If crossplay is gonna hurt you, then you should have some compensation. It makes sense to me.

I personally don't like cross play and thus don't give a shame about it. Yeah, its not nice that devs have to pay compensation, but if the devs are profiting from it the so should sony.

Legend

It is an interesting "solution" to cross play though. I could see an improved version of this becoming standard. Devs give a cut based off where players play instead of where they buy.

BananaKing

It is an interesting "solution" to cross play though. I could see an improved version of this becoming standard. Devs give a cut based off where players play instead of where they buy.
Wouldnt that make cross play more expensive for the dev? Rather than not implementing it at all

the-pi-guy

Wouldnt that make cross play more expensive for the dev? Rather than not implementing it at all
Depends on the arrangements.  

If the arrangement with every platform holder was something like every one gets X% of 30% of the revenue, where X is the percentage of player base, then the developers would lose a fairly typical 30%.  

If the arrangement was something like 10% for each platform holder, then it could easily be unaffordable.

Legend

Could be set so it doesn't change. Would need other platforms to do it too though.

Xevross

The epic stuff is weird but that revenue document in the OP seems completely normal and fair.

kitler53

The epic stuff is weird but that revenue document in the OP seems completely normal and fair.
i agree.   the 0.85 multiplayer even gives a pretty big cushion on the gameplay to revenue ratio.   there are probably no royalties being paid most months.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

It seems Epic pushed both Sony and Microsoft to support crossplay. I wonder if it would have happened without them.