4k60 is overrated and ps5 has been kind of disappointing

Started by kitler53, Apr 29, 2021, 08:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Demon's Souls and Miles Morales are the two big showcases right now.

Demon's Souls has a full glory native 4K with RT mode which runs at 30fps and a 60 fps mode with dynamic res (roughly 1440p) upscaled to 4K.

Spidey has 3 modes and each of them are really impressive.

the-pi-guy

Lol.  

I knew that Dark Souls 3 wasn't 4k, but I figured one of the others would have been.

Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone would be some good points of comparison as those have a 4K60 mode if you want to see assets made for a 1080p game at 1080p vs 4K.  
God of War isn't native 4K, but I've heard that the checkerboard is very good.  

Astro isn't a crazy graphics hog but it does run at 4K60.  Demon's Souls, Spiderman are lookers. (though I haven't played).

the-pi-guy

My absurd but honest opinion here.  

There's a point around 18-20 fps, where it is too jittery for me to play.  I've played games that dropped like that on PC, PS4.  Medieval has a very rough level...  

But a consistent 30 fps game feels absolutely fine for me.  
20 to 30 is a monstrous jump in my opinion. 60 fps is better, but not so much that I doubt I would even notice every time. I've never felt a huge difference. I am sure I'd guess which game was running at 60 90+% of the time, but it's not a feature I've ever felt was an absolute necessity.  

The framerate bit is about looking visually smoother. If you already think motion looks visually smooth you're all good, I think?  

Some people talk about gameplay enhancements but thats not really true. It's not uncommon for games to calculate logic and other things at different framerates than the visuals.  
(There's also other factors for input.  Like Dark Souls has added input lag.  Bloodborne feels so much smoother than it, despite having half the framerate).  

-----
Whether 4K is a worthwhile upgrade is kind of tough.  
I went from a fairly large standard definition TV to a full HD one.  That was an easy giant upgrade.  There was no doubt that things looked blurry on the old TV. There were times I couldn't even make out some things in a game. It was that bad.  

4K is a smaller upgrade, and it's even smaller still due to diminishing returns. At some point 4x the pixels is no longer distinguishable.
And of course for these discussions, always important to remember if you are not close enough to the screen, 4K literally can't make a visible difference for you.  

Additionally that is going to tend to be the case if you're playing content that isnt 4k.  You'll be at the mercy of whatever upscaler your TV has.  

Demon's Souls was disappointing. Looks great but imo but not the wow factor like Killzone Shadowfall when factoring out resolution.
Several people on Era said that Ratchet was the first time they felt that Killzone next gen rush.

Legend

I never care about 60 fps. It's better but as long as the framerate is stable and not super low, I prefer using that power for other things. Just need good motion blur and it looks identical to 240 fps! (as long as your eyes don't track objects on screen, which is in practice impossible)

For players that have esport mentalities however, 60 and 120 fps is more important.

Several people on Era said that Ratchet was the first time they felt that Killzone next gen rush.
I felt that today during the state of play. Not as extreme as the first Killzone trailer, but it still felt like a big "oh boy I guess this is possible now" moment. The unreal 5 tech demo however has been the most impressive thing I've seen. That was even better than Killzone, but tech demos don't count.

darkknightkryta

I remember back in the day, playing Marvel vs Capcom on PSX, I'd be fiddling with the turbo mode.  Going from max turbo back to regular speed.  When increasing the turbo, you notice it.  Though the increase in speed is like fast forwarding a vhs.  But then you adjust to it and it's like you're playing at regular speed (You're not).  Then I'd drop the turbo down and I'd be like "This is like, slow", but then I'd adjust and it's like playing at regular speed.  It's why increasing framerate above what our eyes see as fluid motion isn't as important at getting rid of jaggies (resolution) and increasing the overall level of details (Textures, models, etc).  

Do games benefit from higher framerates?  Yes, they do; I think games are probably the only media that benefit from it.  But at the same time; a locked framerate at, even 24fps, is good in itself.  As long as the framerate stays locked, it's good.  Hell, Vanquished was one of the smoothest games I've played and that game runs at what?  27fps?

kitler53

My absurd but honest opinion here.  

There's a point around 18-20 fps, where it is too jittery for me to play.  I've played games that dropped like that on PC, PS4.  Medieval has a very rough level...  

But a consistent 30 fps game feels absolutely fine for me.  
20 to 30 is a monstrous jump in my opinion. 60 fps is better, but not so much that I doubt I would even notice every time. I've never felt a huge difference. I am sure I'd guess which game was running at 60 90+% of the time, but it's not a feature I've ever felt was an absolute necessity.  

The framerate bit is about looking visually smoother. If you already think motion looks visually smooth you're all good, I think?  
it's not absurd,.. it's my opinion as well.   below 20 fps is really bad but 30 fps is the cut off for me of when i notice it.   heck,.. even in those gif my "pc master race" friends have shared with me for ages i can't really tell and these gifs are designed to isolate and accentuate the differences.   can i see the difference between the 15 and 30 balls?  yes.   between the 30 and 120 balls?  nope...

i've got a new complaint of the day.   i've been playing a lot of rocket league because,.. well i play a lot of rocket league.  previously i thought the ps5 was failing me because my ps4 was wired and i was using wifi on ps5 (i only have 1 functional wire atm).    ...but i flipped that last night to give my ps5 the wired connection and my observation is:

- my rocket league ping on ps4 is typically around 20-30
- my rocket league ping on ps5 has been 60 to 150

I can play the game at 60 but the game is pretty much unplayable at 150.

for the record i was downloading games in the background but this is a thing i've done on ps4 and it's never interfered with mp gameplay.  i mean, that's exactly what i was doing on ps4 yesterday because i was downloading all the lego games my kids likes now that i moved my games to ps5.   no idea what's going on but i'm going to go back to playing rocket league on ps4 instead of ps5 if i can't figure out how to fix it. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

oh, and i also had the location and shape of the home button on the dual sense.   it's too high and i can't reach it without knocking the right analog stick up.  instead i keep hitting the mute button.   this is definitely a product of "form over function" and i don't like it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

oh, and i also had the location and shape of the home button on the dual sense.   it's too high and i can't reach it without knocking the right analog stick up.  instead i keep hitting the mute button.   this is definitely a product of "form over function" and i don't like it.
Sounds like you just need to get rid of it.

the-pi-guy

Pezus's address is _______________, he will send the money for shipping.  

Go Up