4k60 is overrated and ps5 has been kind of disappointing

Started by kitler53, Apr 29, 2021, 08:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

it's been a few days so i can say with confidence that 4k and 60 fps is a negligible upgrade over 1080p30.  i sort of notice the resolution bump its just not something to be excited about.  60 fps is not noticeable at all.

i was promised via all these digital foundry episodes and the like that i'd finally "be playing the games they way they were meant to be played".   i'm hugely disappointed.  by and large i'd say that my current set of cross gen titles fails to impress much moreso than the ps3/4 cross gen titles i've played.

quite frankly, the only noticeable different between playing ps4 and ps5 is the dual sense.  it's cool.  it actually enhances the game unlike 4k60.

i've yet to play a next gen exclusive yet.  hopefully that will actually show me something worth being excited about.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Its one of those things where it does feel like a crazy bump but when you go back after adjusting it looks awful. I hate 1080p on my big TV screen, its just not nice. And switching between 30 and 60 in games makes 30 feel awful, although 60 doesn't feel like any extra special noticeable leap to me when I'm used to it.

If you don't even notice the change when comparing to games that are 1080p30 then I really don't know what to say.

the-pi-guy

4k60 is overrated and ps5 has been kind of disappointing
i've yet to play a next gen exclusive yet.  hopefully that will actually show me something worth being excited about.
Thinking.gif

/s

Xevross

Actually I'm curious, what 4k60 games have you played?

the-pi-guy

SD -> HD is a way bigger jump than HD -> UHD

60 fps isn't that big of a jump over 30 fps, in my opinion.

Dr. Pezus

Wow, 60fps is like a different world to me vs 30fps

Xevross

Apr 29, 2021, 08:58 PM Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 08:59 PM by Xevross
SD -> HD is a way bigger jump than HD -> UHD

60 fps isn't that big of a jump over 30 fps, in my opinion.
Yeah I really don't feel fps that much, even with my 144Hz monitor. Like I said, I feel fps more going back to low fps and it feeling a bit bad, but I adjust to whatever fps I'm at very quickly.

I've never been one to be blown away by anything technical. Lighting and spectacular scenes are what can get me most. Like the nightime scenes in Miles Morales.

Legend

I'm still on a 1080p tv so I'll enjoy the resolution bump when I upgrade.

Haven't had any cool graphics moments with this gen. The SSD and what those visuals enable however are well worth it.

Thinking.gif

/s
Demon's Souls was disappointing. Looks great but imo but not the wow factor like Killzone Shadowfall when factoring out resolution.

Xevross

Demon's Souls was disappointing. Looks great but imo but not the wow factor like Killzone Shadowfall when factoring out resolution.
Agree with that. It looks really nice, but it didn't wow me like Killzone did at the start of PS4. The smoothness of the 60fps and the detail of the 4K was probably the biggest upgrade of it, which like I said is nice but doesn't feel like much of a jump to me.

My experience of Demon's on my mid-high end 4K TV was like - okay this is definitely the best looking game I've experienced, if I look at the detail I can tell. But there's no one thing that really jumps out and makes me say wow, its just all put together very nicely.

kitler53

Actually I'm curious, what 4k60 games have you played?
Its one of those things where it does feel like a crazy bump but when you go back after adjusting it looks awful. I hate 1080p on my big TV screen, its just not nice. And switching between 30 and 60 in games makes 30 feel awful, although 60 doesn't feel like any extra special noticeable leap to me when I'm used to it.

If you don't even notice the change when comparing to games that are 1080p30 then I really don't know what to say.
i took the games i've been playing and then went back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.   i barely noticed it when i went to ps5 and i didn't care when i went back to ps4.  

1. sackboy's big adventure
2. dark souls 3
3. rocket league

it just feels like the same game to me.   all this extra hardware with BC boost mode and i feel like i've got nothing out of it.   just really dampens my excitement for now having a ps5.  i'm still really excited for R&C but these first few days,.. well it's the first time i've ever gotten a new console and decided i'd just rather watch tv they play the thing.

Dr. Pezus

i took the games i've been playing and then went back and forth and back and forth and back and forth.   i barely noticed it when i went to ps5 and i didn't care when i went back to ps4.  

1. sackboy's big adventure
2. dark souls 3
3. rocket league

it just feels like the same game to me.   all this extra hardware with BC boost mode and i feel like i've got nothing out of it.   just really dampens my excitement for now having a ps5.  i'm still really excited for R&C but these first few days,.. well it's the first time i've ever gotten a new console and decided i'd just rather watch tv they play the thing.

What about the load times?

Can you send it to me?

the-pi-guy

On the one hand, I feel like you're not going to see a huge improvement in the first place.  
On the other hand, I feel like that's a lame list in the first place.

kitler53

Apr 29, 2021, 10:02 PM Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 10:05 PM by kitler53
On the one hand, I feel like you're not going to see a huge improvement in the first place.  
On the other hand, I feel like that's a lame list in the first place.
what would make for a better showcase?   i have tons of games these are just the ones i've been playing.

i forgot to add (although i didn't play as much of it):
4. hollow knight

What about the load times?

Can you send it to me?
i wasn't specifically paying attention for that.  
1. rocket league's load is really network code.  i didn't notice any changes and i don't think there is any reason to expect any.
2. dark souls now that you mention it probably loaded faster.
3. sackboy was faster.
4. hollow knight is soo fast on ps4 that even a 100% improvement would be hard to notice.

the-pi-guy

what would make for a better showcase?   i have tons of games these are just the ones i've been playing.

i forgot to add (although i didn't play as much of it):
4. hollow knight
I don't even know.

Rocket league is probably a good 60 fps showcase but I feel like something like God of War would make for a better 4K showcase.

Xevross

Apr 29, 2021, 10:40 PM Last Edit: Apr 29, 2021, 10:50 PM by Xevross
Yeah none of those games are really good for showing off ps5, when in fact only one of them actually has a native ps5 version and that game is Sackboy which isn't great as a tech showcase anyway.

You've basically just been experiencing PS4 pro so far. None of those three games even have a PS5 patch that makes it act as like a PS4 pro pro afaik. It's literally just the PS4 pro version of the games but with smoother frames if any of them ever struggled.

Rocket League is checkerboarded to 4K, Dark Souls 3 is 1080p, Hollow Knight is 1080p and Sackboy (PS5 version) is a dynamic resolution averaging 75% of 4K.