E3 2021: Central Hub of Hype

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 06, 2021, 01:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Xevross

I feel like it was expected that the E3 shows this year were going to not be as good due to Covid, but I feel the impact was different than I expected.
There's just not much coming soon, and unnanounced projects are in flux too much to announce.

the-pi-guy

There's just not much coming soon, and unnanounced projects are in flux too much to announce.
Microsoft announced games that were really far off last year like Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3, Everwild? that all seem to be late 2022+.  

This conference wasn't terribly different, but it seemed like it focused more on the next ~18 months than last years show.  

Xevross

Microsoft announced games that were really far off last year like Avowed, Fable, State of Decay 3, Everwild? that all seem to be late 2022+.  

This conference wasn't terribly different, but it seemed like it focused more on the next ~18 months than last years show.  
Grubb has just said Everwild was rebooted after the creative director left, now aiming 2023-2024.

Obsidian just announced The Outer Worlds 2 and are still working on Grounded, so Avowed seems way off. Forza Horizon 5 was just announced, so clearly Playground still have most of their efforts going there.

These games they announced last year were 2 or maybe even 3 years too early. The ones this year could be as well.

Legend

Take Two panel coming up.

Xevross

Every single one of the publisher's showcases outside of xbox and devolver has been so, so bad. Why do they even bother. There being only 3-4 bigger shows was definitely the best e3 format.

The indie shows like day of the devs, wholesome direct etc. were all good though.

Xevross

Giving this e3 a 2/10 before we see Nintendo.

Lets see if Nintendo can save e3 2021.

the-pi-guy

I really don't understand why Capcom thought they needed a "show".  

No one is going to be upset if they didn't. People are going to be a lot more upset expecting a show and getting...  that.

It makes no sense. Everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon for some reason.

Legend

I fell asleep and missed all of today.

Guess that worked out...

the-pi-guy

These games they announced last year were 2 or maybe even 3 years too early. The ones this year could be as well.
But they didn't really announce that much. A huge chunk of the show was updates to older games, and third party stuff that was expected this year.
I think the actual announcements were Forza, Redfall, The Outer Worlds 2. And only one of them is seemingly announced way ahead of schedule.

Last year's conference had like 5 games announced or present that aren't likely to be released until after pretty much everything at this conference with the exception of The Outer Worlds 2.

Xevross

So in the end we had Nintendo and Xbox both with good but not amazing shows. Devolver was amazing but its kind of a comedy show more than a game show. Ubi was okay at best, rest were bad.

I feel like if there was a Sony show at the level of Nintendo and Xbox's it'd have been a decent e3, not the worst but not the best. Without Sony though and that being it its probably the worst e3 I've experienced (since I started properly watching in 2013).

Legend

Ubi:
Rainbow 6 Extraction looked better than I expected, but still just ok.
Mario+Rabbids was nice.

Xbox:
Starfield was short but left me excited.
Forza Horizon 5 looks great.
The Outer Wilds 2 had a great trailer.
Stalker 2 looked interesting.
Atomic Heart looked interesting.
Contraband looked interesting.
Plague Tale 2 is great.
Redfall was extremely disappointing.

Nintendo:
Metroid Dredd looks great.
BOTW2 was extremely exciting but has left me feeling nervous.

Xbox had the best show imo. They felt like a non pandemic year which is disappointing because of the Xbox+Bethesda potential, but a solid 6 or 7 out of 10.

Ubisoft had the best reveal with Avatar imo. I'm biased but when comparing it to Starfield, The Outer Worlds 2, and BOTW2, it actually showed a lot. Don't think it makes up for the rest of the show. Solid 5 or 6 out of 10.

Nintendo had what will end up being the best game, but I don't think it was a good showing. Solid 5 or 6 out of 10.

TLDR: yeah very bad year but I'm glad the companies still put these shows together.

Dr. Pezus

Switch Pro announced?

Legend

Dr. Pezus

No.
Lies in the Nintendo thread

I'm guessing they'll announce it in August then

Legend

Lies in the Nintendo thread

I'm guessing they'll announce it in August then
That was a joke about the Game and Watch hardware being released.

Go Up