Battle of the Backlog

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

my opinion is unless you are doing a historical period piece or a thing about "true events" you just shouldn't ever put a date on it.

I mean that for all media btw, games, movies, shows, songs.  adding a date does not enhance an experience when consumed at launch but sure as hell makes it age badly when consumed late.
One of my favorite things was the final season of parks and rec. They specifically dated it as 2017 with a 2 year time jump into the future. Had more drones and random future things that were played off as jokes.

Outside of that, yeah don't put a date unless you have a specific need for it. In Hapax I have a specific date because props need a date but it just causes issues. Either the date is too soon and people think it's unrealistic or the date is too far and people expect Star Trek.

Watching reviews for Observation though it's funny how few mention the slow gameplay. This is the only video I've found that dissects it in any way.

the-pi-guy

Playing Demons Souls, and it just makes me dislike Dark souls even more.  

There's something about the movement in Dark Souls that feels laggy.  Demons Souls feels better remotely than playing Dark Souls locally.  It's weird because I don't see people talking about the lagging feeling.

the-pi-guy

After playing:

Something like 400 hours of Bloodborne.
Several hours of Dark Souls

A few hours of Demons Souls on PS3

Several hours of Demons Souls on PS5.

I don't know how different it is from the PS3 version, don't really want to pull it back out for back to back comparisons. But I know I'm having a lot more fun with it.  

I'm also liking it so, so much more than Dark Souls.

It's a bit worse than Bloodborne though. But it's the first time I've felt a Souls game click since then.

kitler53

I've played: demon's souls, dark souls, dark souls 3, and Bloodborne each for dozens to hundreds of hours. 

demon's souls is still my favorite. it is probably a lot about "first love" but I mostly feel the bosses were so we'll crafted and despite everyone else's opinion I liked tendencies. 

all were great.  demon's was special. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Demon's is a very different game I found, because you can do a lot of the game first try it feels a lot more like a "normal" game where you have steady progression through it,

kitler53

Demon's is a very different game I found, because you can do a lot of the game first try it feels a lot more like a "normal" game where you have steady progression through it,
really?!?

that was my main complaint about bloodborne and in the ps3 days that was not a thing anyone would say of demon's souls.   many were saying is was too difficult, cheap, and rage quitting.    i always qualified it as a "puzzle" game.   yes, the game is easy once you know the attack patterns and exploits but god dang could learning the exploits be difficult.   that's been true of all the games though and i really think once you master 1 game you can manage the rest a lot better.   i was "disappointed" by how easy dark souls 1 was when i picked it up.   i cap my level at 19 for no reason other than to increase the difficultly for myself when i played though it.  got all the way to the four knights on new game plus before i couldn't manage.

although to be honest i watched videos to both the armor spider and the flamelurker bosses.   both were clearly nerfed in their attack patterns and both had their environmental exploits removed.    maybe DS on ps4 is just easier.

Xevross

Jun 28, 2021, 11:08 PM Last Edit: Jun 28, 2021, 11:10 PM by Xevross
really?!?

that was my main complaint about bloodborne and in the ps3 days that was not a thing anyone would say of demon's souls.   many were saying is was too difficult, cheap, and rage quitting.    i always qualified it as a "puzzle" game.   yes, the game is easy once you know the attack patterns and exploits but god dang could learning the exploits be difficult.   that's been true of all the games though and i really think once you master 1 game you can manage the rest a lot better.   i was "disappointed" by how easy dark souls 1 was when i picked it up.   i cap my level at 19 for no reason other than to increase the difficultly for myself when i played though it.  got all the way to the four knights on new game plus before i couldn't manage.

although to be honest i watched videos to both the armor spider and the flamelurker bosses.   both were clearly nerfed in their attack patterns and both had their environmental exploits removed.    maybe DS on ps4 is just easier.
Outside of the dragon god fight which was just super dumb I think I died like 10 times playing through Demon's Souls, only twice against bosses. Bloodborne was in the hundreds for sure, I'd guess like 300+ deaths I had in Bloodborne.

Demon's Souls felt like a Souls game with its mechanics but in terms of its gameplay loop and general progression it was just like playing R&C or Uncharted, an adventure you keep moving through, a few difficult moments but nothing big, and maybe one spot which was just dumb and ridiculous (looking at you U2 final boss).

kitler53

Outside of the dragon god fight which was just super dumb I think I died like 10 times playing through Demon's Souls, only twice against bosses. Bloodborne was in the hundreds for sure, I'd guess like 300+ deaths I had in Bloodborne.

Demon's Souls felt like a Souls game with its mechanics but in terms of its gameplay loop and general progression it was just like playing R&C or Uncharted, an adventure you keep moving through, a few difficult moments but nothing big, and maybe one spot which was just dumb and ridiculous (looking at you U2 final boss).
i think i died about a dozen times getting to the first boss (the cleric beast) but i downed him on my second try.   after that i got to the mid point of the game with just a handful of deaths.  i died a bit more often on the back half of the game,.. i think i wasn't leveling fast enough because i was progressing too quickly.   ...but more to the point i killed like half the bosses in the game on my first attempt which really made the game feel too easy.

combat was fluid and fun but the lack of "clunk" meant it was actually pretty easy to recover from a mis-step.   demon's/dark souls was much more unforgiving of a mistake.

kitler53

oh, and by the way,.. can we get the thread title changed to soulsborne discussion?  okay thanks.

the-pi-guy

I've played: demon's souls, dark souls, dark souls 3, and Bloodborne each for dozens to hundreds of hours.

demon's souls is still my favorite. it is probably a lot about "first love" but I mostly feel the bosses were so we'll crafted and despite everyone else's opinion I liked tendencies.

all were great.  demon's was special.
Demons Souls seems more puzzley than Bloodborne, so I'm not surprised.  

Bloodborne is more like a twitch action RPG, and I love it.  

really?!?
I do think it's a good bit easier. I'm not completely sure why though. They said they kept the old code for the AI, and a lot of other stuff. And people say it's a very reliable remake.  

I'm not sure if they did something with the move to 60fps, the game feels more responsive than the PS3 version and it feels easier because of that. It feels less clunky than the PS3 version to me, which felt less clunky than Dark Souls does to me.  

the-pi-guy

Beat Demons Souls.  

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><ul class="bbc_list" style="list-style-type: decimal;"><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Bloodborne</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Uncharted 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">The Last of Us</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Final Fantasy X </span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Super Mario RPG</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">God of War PS4</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Astrobot</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">The Last of Us 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Demons Souls</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">LittlebigPlanet</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Skyrim</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Jak and Daxter</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Jak 3</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Jak 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Kingdom Hearts 1</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Kingdom Hearts 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Portal 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Super Mario Bros 3</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Super Mario bros 1</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Uncharted TLL</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Uncharted 4</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Bioshock Infinite</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Bioshock</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Bioshock 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Horizon</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Mario Kart Wii</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Super Smash Bros Brawl</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Age of Empires 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Age of Empires</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Pokemon Sapphire</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Pokemon Leaf green</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Pokemon Yellow</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">LittleBigPlanet 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">God of War 3</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">God of War 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">God of War</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Uncharted 1</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Dark Cloud</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">New Super Mario Bros Wii</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Super Mario Galaxy</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Radiata Stories</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Batman Arkham Asylum </span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Batman Arkham City</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Batman Arkham Knight</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Dark Souls 3</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Dark Souls </span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Dark Souls 2</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Sekiro</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Oblivion</span></li><li><span style="font-size: 1em;" class="bbc_size">Uncharted 3</span></li></ul><br>

Honestly I feel like I should redo this post, not sure if I agree with a few of the places.

kitler53

Beat Demons Souls.  

Spoiler for Hidden:

• Bloodborne
  • Uncharted 2
  • The Last of Us
  • Final Fantasy X
  • Super Mario RPG
  • God of War PS4
  • Astrobot
  • The Last of Us 2
  • Demons Souls
  • LittlebigPlanet
  • Skyrim
  • Jak and Daxter
  • Jak 3
  • Jak 2
  • Kingdom Hearts 1
  • Kingdom Hearts 2
  • Portal 2
  • Super Mario Bros 3
  • Super Mario bros 1
  • Uncharted TLL
  • Uncharted 4
  • Bioshock Infinite
  • Bioshock
  • Bioshock 2
  • Horizon
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Super Smash Bros Brawl
  • Age of Empires 2
  • Age of Empires
  • Pokemon Sapphire
  • Pokemon Leaf green
  • Pokemon Yellow
  • LittleBigPlanet 2
  • God of War 3
  • God of War 2
  • God of War
  • Uncharted 1
  • Dark Cloud
  • New Super Mario Bros Wii
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Radiata Stories
  • Batman Arkham Asylum
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Dark Souls 3
  • Dark Souls
  • Dark Souls 2
  • Sekiro
  • Oblivion
  • Uncharted 3

Honestly I feel like I should redo this post, not sure if I agree with a few of the places.
gratz.   my co-op friend and i are almost done with darksouls 3.  we're probably just about half way through the ringed city dlc and then back to beat the final boss of the main game.   

i skipped DS2 because of all the crud it got about not being as good as DS.   ...but DS3 has been great.   kind of disappointed in myself for not getting to it earlier.

i think after DS we'll move onto it takes two.  i'm really looking forward to that one.  looks soo amazingly exactly the kind of game i'll love.

Legend

I finally played event[0].

Was short but good.

the-pi-guy

Decided on taking a break from Souls like games.

Been playing Horizon from the start again. And playing Spiderman.

Spiderman has some strong qualities. Web swinging feels really good most of the time. I feel like everything works like 95% of the time. I have some often frustrations. Like swinging will feel great and then I will try stopping somewhere and he will decide to keep swinging somewhere.  

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Batman and inFamous. Except that I feel like the dynamic of being able to "fly" brings a lot of issues into the game. Spidey is able to swing from basically where ever and he's able to run up buildings and go any which way he pleases.  Like I said most of the time, it feels great and it's really impressive how good it feels. But then it stops feeling so good.  

kitler53

Decided on taking a break from Souls like games.

Been playing Horizon from the start again. And playing Spiderman.

Spiderman has some strong qualities. Web swinging feels really good most of the time. I feel like everything works like 95% of the time. I have some often frustrations. Like swinging will feel great and then I will try stopping somewhere and he will decide to keep swinging somewhere.  

In a lot of ways, it reminds me of Batman and inFamous. Except that I feel like the dynamic of being able to "fly" brings a lot of issues into the game. Spidey is able to swing from basically where ever and he's able to run up buildings and go any which way he pleases.  Like I said most of the time, it feels great and it's really impressive how good it feels. But then it stops feeling so good.  
my coop buddy and me were playing DS3 and i burnt out right before the last boss.

we've been playing it takes two instead and it is amazing.

Go Up