Battle of the Backlog

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Dec 26, 2020, 08:01 AM Last Edit: Dec 26, 2020, 04:45 PM by Legend
I've played more games in 2020 than any other year in my life, I think.

Finished
TLOU2
The Outer Worlds
Erica
ABZU
Soma
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
What Remains of Edith Finch
Conan Exiles
The Bridge
Control
Astro's Playroom
Outer Wilds
Subnautica
Yes your grace
Riven
Heaven's Vault-will complete in the next day or so
The Turing Test
Crusader Kings 2
Crusader Kings 3
Her Story
Sethian
FTL
Spiderman Miles Morales-will probably complete before the end of the year
Edt: Animal Crossing, forgot this one (thanks xev!)

Played a significant amount
Anthem
Ghost of Tsushima
Forza Horizon 4
A way out
The Warhorn
Outward

What an incredible and amazing year. Soma, What Remains of Edith Finch, AC Odyssey, TLOU2, and Outer Wilds are all goat contenders for me.

Xevross

Dec 26, 2020, 11:19 AM Last Edit: Dec 26, 2020, 11:29 AM by Xevross
I've played more games in 2020 than any other year in my life, I think.

Finished
TLOU2
The Outer Worlds
Erica
ABZU
Soma
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
What Remains of Edith Finch
Conan Exiles
The Bridge
Control
Astro's Playroom
Outer Wilds
Subnautica
Yes your grace
Riven
Heaven's Vault-will complete in the next day or so
The Turing Test
Crusader Kings 2
Crusader Kings 3
Her Story
Sethian
FTL
Spiderman Miles Morales-will probably complete before the end of the year

Played a significant amount
Anthem
Ghost of Tsushima
Forza Horizon 4
A way out
The Warhorn
Outward

What an incredible and amazing year. Soma, What Remains of Edith Finch, AC Odyssey, TLOU2, and Outer Wilds are all goat contenders for me.
dang, someone else does play games on here. That is a great year. AC Odyssey being a goat contender though, baffling ;D

Here's my year (in order of my rating of the games), this is an easy record for me as well, I don't think any other year comes close in terms of games played

Hades
The Last of Us Part II
Hollow Knight
Ghost of Tsushima
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Demon's Souls Remake
Astro's Playroom
Marvel's Spider-Man Miles Morales
Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary
Animal Crossing New Horizons
Rise of the Tomb Raider
F1 2020
Crosscode
Spiritfarer
Halo 3
Halo 2 Anniversary
Dirt 5
Dreams
Bugsnax
Ori and the Blind Forest
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
Dirt Rally 2.0
Doom (2016)
Crash Bandicoot 4 Its About Time
WRC 9
Nex Machina
Abzu
Star Wars Squadrons
Darksiders Genesis
Sea of Thieves
Doom Eternal (not complete)
Fall Guys
Cyberpunk 2077
Human Fall Flat
Golf With Your Friends
Minecraft Dungeons
Need For Speed Heat (not complete)
Control
Farming Simulator 2019

Some of those aren't games you really can complete, you just play until you're done with them. Those kind of games I only include if I played a decent amount to get a measure of the whole game. There's also a few games I returned to this year and played a lot of:

Cities Skylines
Rocket League
Europa Universalis IV
GT Sport

And probably some more that I'm forgetting. Also played a fair bit of Element TD2 but that's early access and releases next year, Colony Survival I played like 11 hours of but not enough yet. I think Cities Skylines is the game I put the most time into this year, about 200 hours.

Aiming to finish Hyrule Warrios AOC before the end of the year, not sure I'll also fit in Sackboy.

kitler53

I made that "my gen eight in review" thread so I'm a bit too tired of lists to make another one.  but according to that I play ~14 games a year and I'm pretty sure this year brought up my average. 

in a lot of ways it has been a good year but in others not so much.  I didn't play much in the way of truely exceptional games.  only TLoU remastered probably meets that for me.  

nothing will probably beat my 2-3 years ago when I played the witness followed by the talos principle followed by ratchet and clank.  back to back to back exceptional games for me. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

nothing will probably beat my 2-3 years ago
Nods along, thinking 2017-2018 was an exceptional time; HZD, BOTW, SMO, GOW, RDR2, Celeste, Hollow Knight, Astro Bot, Spider-Man...

when I played the witness followed by the talos principle followed by ratchet and clank.  back to back to back exceptional games for me.
Oh... um... yeah. Sure, why not.

To be fair, I haven't played the witness or talos principle because puzzle games just aren't a fun time for me, but I know these are well received.

kitler53

Nods along, thinking 2017-2018 was an exceptional time; HZD, BOTW, SMO, GOW, RDR2, Celeste, Hollow Knight, Astro Bot, Spider-Man...
Oh... um... yeah. Sure, why not.

To be fair, I haven't played the witness or talos principle because puzzle games just aren't a fun time for me, but I know these are well received.
yeah, i think i played GoW that year too.   it was a great year.    puzzle games are my favorite but few release and most are just eh.   i mean, i still enjoy the eh ones but to play 2 exceptioanal ones back to back was a special moment for me.   i anticipated the witness for a long time but talos principle i went in blind so i didn't expect such a great game.

the-pi-guy

Finished Dark Cloud.
First time ever. And I started it on PS2. 

Dark Cloud
Astro's Playroom
Medieval
The Last of Us Part 2
God of War (2018)
God of War 3
Uncharted The Lost Legacy

Finished 7 games this year? 
Kingdom Hearts 3 soon enough too. 

That is not a lot by most standards here. But I think it's the most I've finished in the past 6 years.  Almost total. 
KH3 I will likely finish tomorrow at this rate.

There might be some other games I forgot, but 8 is pretty good for me.

darkknightkryta

Dec 27, 2020, 04:17 AM Last Edit: Dec 27, 2020, 06:01 PM by darkknightkryta
I picked up Assassn's Creed Odyssey.  I've been enjoying it a lot.  I'm starting to get burned with things though.  The prologue was so well done in terms of exploring and it wasn't too filled with filler open world battleship. It was filled with really nice exploration.  The rest of the game though?  Not so much.  So much cut and paste non-sense.  I think I might just use a trainer to skip the grind and avoid all the bases/bandits.

Legend

I picked up Assassn's Creed Odyssey.  I've been enjoying it a lot.  I'm starting to get burned with things though.  The prologue was so well done in terms of exploring and it wasn't too filled with filler open world battleship It was filled with really nice exploration.  The rest of the game though?  Not so much.  So much cut and paste non-sense.  I think I might just use a trainer to skip the grind and avoid all the bases/bandits.
I did almost every side mission so I luckily never had grind problems.

In general I'm a completionist with games. If I'm aware of it and it's not procedural, I do.

Xevross

Dec 27, 2020, 12:17 PM Last Edit: Dec 27, 2020, 12:20 PM by Xevross
I picked up Assassn's Creed Odyssey.  I've been enjoying it a lot.  I'm starting to get burned with things though.  The prologue was so well done in terms of exploring and it wasn't too filled with filler open world battleship It was filled with really nice exploration.  The rest of the game though?  Not so much.  So much cut and paste non-sense.  I think I might just use a trainer to skip the grind and avoid all the bases/bandits.
This was exactly my experience. I pushed on a bit more and it really started to get boring and dragged hard, and I eventually dropped it with a somewhat negative opinion of the game.

AC Odyssey is way too big and copy-pasted for its own good. If you're someone who can get through it all without getting bored then you're crazy ;D

I did almost every side mission so I luckily never had grind problems.

In general I'm a completionist with games. If I'm aware of it and it's not procedural, I do.
Yeah I'm the same, if I come across a quest it really, really irks me if I don't finish it. So when a game like AC Odyssey just litters them everywhere and they're so boring and all very similar yet still fairly long, it really brings down the game for me. Then I can force myself to skip side quests if I'm feeling like this, but it sours me on the whole game and it feels wrong and makes me enjoy it less. I did this for Odyssey, decided to push on, but this combined with the main story quests being pretty boring and drawn out as well just made me drop it.

the-pi-guy

Bought Nier Automata and Skyrim on PS4.  

the-pi-guy

PS3:
-God of War 3
-Killzone 2
-Killzone 3

PS4/PS5:
-Dark Cloud
- Dark Souls
- Dark Souls 2
- Dark Souls 3
-God of War
-Killzone ShadowFall
-Kingdom Hearts 3
- Knack 2
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- Metal Gear Solid V
- Nioh
- Sekiro
- Skyrim
- Spider-man
-The Last of Us 2
-Uncharted: Lost Legacy

-World of Final Fantasy

PC:

-Binding of Isaac
-Borderlands
-Borderlands 2
-Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
-Braid
-Call of Duty: Black Ops 3
-Child of Light
-Cities: Skylines
-DarkSiders
-Dead Rising 2
-Dead Space
-Deus Ex
-Dishonored
-Dragon Age Origins
-Elder Scrolls III
-Elder Scrolls IV
-Fallout 3
-Fallout New Vegas
-Far Cry 3
-Far Cry 4
-Half Life
-Half Life 2
-Half Life 2: Episode 1
-Half Life 2: Episode 2
-L.A. Noire
-The Last Remnant
-Mass Effect
-Mass Effect 2
-Metro 2033
-Metro Last Light
-Mirror's Edge
-Portal 1
-Rage
-Remember Me
-Resident Evil 4
-Resident Evil 5
-Resident Evil Revelations
-Resident Evil Revelations 2
-Rime
-Ryse
-Saints Row IV
-Sleeping Dogs
-Star Dew Valley
-Tomb Raider
-Undertale
-The Walking Dead
-The Walking Dead 2
-Watch Dogs
-The Witcher
-The Witcher 2
-The Witcher 3
-The Witness

Games I want to get:
-Beyond
-Detroit
-Ghost of Tsushima
-Heavy Rain
-InFamous Second Son
-Monster Hunter World
-Red Dead Redemption
-Red Dead Redemption 2
-Resistance
-Resistance 2
-Resistance  3
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
Updates!  

Xevross

Your backlog is just ridiculous Pi, you're never getting through all that when you only play 8 games a year ;D

the-pi-guy

Your backlog is just ridiculous Pi, you're never getting through all that when you only play 8 games a year ;D
It's true.  

Although some of those games I'm not even really sure I want to play.  Like Deus Ex, I often hear good things.

We shall see how it goes.  

Legend

Finished Observation.

Fun game despite the slow gameplay. I'd almost recommend a lets play of it over playing yourself. One major incredibly good element is lost if you watch a video, but otherwise it plays like a video.

Lots of fun similarities to Hapax and of course lots of major differences too.

Super minor spoiler:
What is up with games and bad dates lol? Unless I missed it being an alt history game, why did they set it in 2026? Nothing in the game makes sense if that's the case, outside of the aesthetic. If the year was just never mentioned it would have been really good sci fi.

kitler53

Finished Observation.

Fun game despite the slow gameplay. I'd almost recommend a lets play of it over playing yourself. One major incredibly good element is lost if you watch a video, but otherwise it plays like a video.

Lots of fun similarities to Hapax and of course lots of major differences too.

Super minor spoiler:
What is up with games and bad dates lol? Unless I missed it being an alt history game, why did they set it in 2026? Nothing in the game makes sense if that's the case, outside of the aesthetic. If the year was just never mentioned it would have been really good sci fi.

my opinion is unless you are doing a historical period piece or a thing about "true events" you just shouldn't ever put a date on it. 

I mean that for all media btw, games, movies, shows, songs.  adding a date does not enhance an experience when consumed at launch but sure as hell makes it age badly when consumed late. 

Go Up