Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I'm sitting here watching Russia's coverage of a rocket launch. I def wanna learn Russian at some point.

the-pi-guy

I feel like I've lost my reason for wanting to learn Japanese.

Legend

I feel like I've lost my reason for wanting to learn Japanese.
How so?

the-pi-guy

How so?
I just have been feeling like "what's the point?", lately.  

Legend

I just have been feeling like "what's the point?", lately.  
Do you enjoy learning it though? Japanese specifically might not have a point but there are always plenty of reasons to be multilingual in general.

the-pi-guy

Do you enjoy learning it though?
In a complicated kind of way.

I like it, when I'm in the middle of it. I enjoy actually writing, reading, speaking or listening to Japanese.

But it's not something I look forward to.

Legend

Game over? New language law puts Quebec's video game industry at risk, insiders say | CBC News

Quebec is essentially forcing people to learn French. Doesn't seem like the best way to preserve their culture and language.

kitler53

just another example of how "nationalism" is a direct line to poverty.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

the-pi-guy

What would make an ideal language learning companion?

A few obvious things that come to mind:
- easily accessible
- fun/addicting
- useful lessons: vocabulary, grammar, understanding (listening/reading), production (talking/writing) ideally

Something that is easy to use, something that makes you want to use it, and something that is useful.

Legend

Random idea I just had is a chrome extension that partially translates things. First it'd just replace individual words here and there with your target language but as you get better it could replace a full sentence here and there within whatever you're reading.

Then periodically you could take tests where it pulls up previously translated words/sentences. Remove all the English context around them and verify you can translate them back into English.

the-pi-guy

Nov 09, 2023, 08:09 PM Last Edit: Nov 09, 2023, 08:18 PM by the-pi-guy
It's a weird feeling for me listening to artists that don't have a wikipedia page in English.

And it's even weirder listening to an artist that basically doesn't exist in English almost anywhere on the internet.

I am pretty sure I've said this before, but it's kind of weird feeling. Like you've found a secret room online or something.

Legend

If you're talking about asian music, that's kinda impressive. There's such a large market for that in the west.

the-pi-guy

If you're talking about asian music, that's kinda impressive. There's such a large market for that in the west.

There's a Japanese wiki page, can't find an English wiki

This one is a weird thing.

As far as I can tell, the singer is mislabeled for this video. It sounds like it is actually 芝麻Mochi, who is a Chinese singer who might not even be a professional.  

A short of an English song:

the-pi-guy

Been getting back into Japanese very consistently. Been doing Anki flashcards almost every day, and doing Kanji studies almost every day this year so far.  

Go Up