The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Broke but worth it.

Xevross

Broke but worth it.
Literally me as these are the two games for the rest of 2021 that I'm most hyped for, by a fair margain as well.

the-pi-guy

Yeah Xev is going to get Horizon and Horizon. But I bet Horizon will be better. Mark my words here.  Horizon will probably get a higher MC.

Xevross

Jun 19, 2021, 08:59 PM Last Edit: Jun 19, 2021, 09:04 PM by Xevross
I just had a go with Outer Wilds for about three hours. I can see what they were going for and see why some people rate it so highly, the way its all about exploring the solar system without much direction and just letting what you've previously discovered guide you to what to do next.

The way the game tracks what you've done and indicates that there's more to find at a location, or on a thread of discovery, really cool. And the way the planets and solar system change throughout the 22 minute loop meaning you've got to plan out what you want to do and certain things only get revealed/ get hidden after an amount of time, very very cool. But also this is annoying in that it doesn't let you play at your own pace, its a game about exploration and discovery but you've got to do it the way the game wants you to rather than in whatever way you might want. The way your progress resets and you have to get back to where you were is consistently annoying, and having to get somewhere in a certain time window is very annoying too, just running out of time to find/ read something and knowing you'll have to go back there again just to get that thing, very annoying.

Also one thing I dislike in games is walls of text, the amount of reading you have to do here is just annoying. The game would be way better if they had voice acting kind of like the new subnautica.

In general I don't like the design, the controls are bad and the graphics are horrible on a big TV. The first person perspective combined with the controls and zero-g stuff has made me feel a bit dizzy, often frustrated as well. Early on slipping up and dying or falling somewhere and losing access to what I wanted to look at, that happened a few times and felt awful.

So yeah I get what they were going for here but I do not like it at all.

Legend

I just had a go with Outer Wilds for about three hours. I can see what they were going for and see why some people rate it so highly, the way its all about exploring the solar system without much direction and just letting what you've previously discovered guide you to what to do next.

The way the game tracks what you've done and indicates that there's more to find at a location, or on a thread of discovery, really cool. And the way the planets and solar system change throughout the 22 minute loop meaning you've got to plan out what you want to do and certain things only get revealed/ get hidden after an amount of time, very very cool. But also this is annoying in that it doesn't let you play at your own pace, its a game about exploration and discovery but you've got to do it the way the game wants you to rather than in whatever way you might want. The way your progress resets and you have to get back to where you were is consistently annoying, and having to get somewhere in a certain time window is very annoying too, just running out of time to find/ read something and knowing you'll have to go back there again just to get that thing, very annoying.

Also one thing I dislike in games is walls of text, the amount of reading you have to do here is just annoying. The game would be way better if they had voice acting kind of like the new subnautica.

In general I don't like the design, the controls are bad and the graphics are horrible on a big TV. The first person perspective combined with the controls and zero-g stuff has made me feel a bit dizzy, often frustrated as well. Early on slipping up and dying or falling somewhere and losing access to what I wanted to look at, that happened a few times and felt awful.

So yeah I get what they were going for here but I do not like it at all.
Outer Wilds is one of the greatest games of all time in my opinion, but I agree that it's not perfect.

The time loop can be frustrating. As you play more it gets especially bad with things taking multiple steps. It would be awesome if there was a way to just explore at your own pace. At the same time though, it's an incredibly effective tool and I probably enjoyed the game more because of it. Every time I entered a super special location there was a significant amount of stress. Am I going to see everything I want before running out of time? It added weight to the revelations and kept me on my toes. I'd compare it to weapon durability in BOTW, in the sense that it causes issues but is probably beneficial overall.

I didn't really care for the way the game tracked progress. I specifically avoided looking at it and instead used pen and paper to track things myself. That at least to me felt more immersive and kept me paying attention to everything I read. Computer was great though near the end when I started running out of things to discover. It's great for cleaning up loose ends.

I'd disagree about voice acting. Walls of text in most games are definitely annoying but audio logs only help because they can play in the background. If you're forced to listen to an audio log in a menu, it tends to be just as bad. In Outer Wilds you need to learn what the text is saying before moving on so text works best imo. Almost every line is interesting and worth paying attention too. Plus the world pauses while reading so you can either take your time or skim it depending on your mood.

Didn't have any issues with controls or graphics but I can definitely understand getting dizzy in zero g.

Xevross

Jun 20, 2021, 09:55 AM Last Edit: Jun 20, 2021, 09:57 AM by Xevross
Outer Wilds is one of the greatest games of all time in my opinion, but I agree that it's not perfect.

The time loop can be frustrating. As you play more it gets especially bad with things taking multiple steps. It would be awesome if there was a way to just explore at your own pace. At the same time though, it's an incredibly effective tool and I probably enjoyed the game more because of it. Every time I entered a super special location there was a significant amount of stress. Am I going to see everything I want before running out of time? It added weight to the revelations and kept me on my toes. I'd compare it to weapon durability in BOTW, in the sense that it causes issues but is probably beneficial overall.

I didn't really care for the way the game tracked progress. I specifically avoided looking at it and instead used pen and paper to track things myself. That at least to me felt more immersive and kept me paying attention to everything I read. Computer was great though near the end when I started running out of things to discover. It's great for cleaning up loose ends.

I'd disagree about voice acting. Walls of text in most games are definitely annoying but audio logs only help because they can play in the background. If you're forced to listen to an audio log in a menu, it tends to be just as bad. In Outer Wilds you need to learn what the text is saying before moving on so text works best imo. Almost every line is interesting and worth paying attention too. Plus the world pauses while reading so you can either take your time or skim it depending on your mood.

Didn't have any issues with controls or graphics but I can definitely understand getting dizzy in zero g.
Also one thing to note is that I don't like puzzle games, never have. I'd heard Outer Wilds is a lot like BOTW where its lots of discovery and exploration with no map markers, just letting you go where you want. But what I didn't realise is that Outer Wilds is basically just a big puzzle/ mystery game, like Return of the Obra Dinn but across a whole solar system and with the death loop mechanic. And the puzzles/ mystery is the focus rather than the follow-your-nose exploration and adventure.

That's really not my thing. Especially when its got the loop mechanic restricting you to what you can do and when, if I am gonna do a mystery I'd want it to be completely at my own pace and letting me go wherever I want at any time, follow any thread I want, without having to be reset every 22 minutes and bothering with flying back to where I was.

Xevross

Also played about 3-4 hours of Dead Cells. I think Dead Cells is fantastic, it definitely deserves its review scores. But man, the roguelike stuff really grates on me and I've lost my patience with it already. Not really any fault of the game, just this is the way I've felt with every single rogue-like I've played bar Hades. Hades really was just a stroke of genius, not sure I'll ever gel with another roguelike game.

Legend

Wait Outer Wilds is leaving gamepass? WTF how am I supposed to keep pulling it up from time to time. Stop sucking gamepass.

Also one thing to note is that I don't like puzzle games, never have. I'd heard Outer Wilds is a lot like BOTW where its lots of discovery and exploration with no map markers, just letting you go where you want. But what I didn't realise is that Outer Wilds is basically just a big puzzle/ mystery game, like Return of the Obra Dinn but across a whole solar system and with the death loop mechanic. And the puzzles/ mystery is the focus rather than the follow-your-nose exploration and adventure.

That's really not my thing. Especially when its got the loop mechanic restricting you to what you can do and when, if I am gonna do a mystery I'd want it to be completely at my own pace and letting me go wherever I want at any time, follow any thread I want, without having to be reset every 22 minutes and bothering with flying back to where I was.
I think Outer Wilds blurs the lines between puzzle/mystery and follow your nose exploration. It doesn't really have puzzles and is more a "lock and key" setup. Instead of looking at something and figuring out a solution, you just go elsewhere until you are directly told the solution.

I have yet to play Obra Dinn.

Xevross

Wait Outer Wilds is leaving gamepass? WTF how am I supposed to keep pulling it up from time to time. Stop sucking gamepass.

I think Outer Wilds blurs the lines between puzzle/mystery and follow your nose exploration. It doesn't really have puzzles and is more a "lock and key" setup. Instead of looking at something and figuring out a solution, you just go elsewhere until you are directly told the solution.

I have yet to play Obra Dinn.
Yeah at least you can get the app and you get notifications that games are leaving with at least a couple weeks notice.

Obra Dinn I watched a full playthrough of and wow I kind of wish I played it myself, but maybe I had a better experience watching it. Its fantastic.

the-pi-guy

I bought a Dualsense phone mount, so I could remote play on my phone. 

Hardware wise, it actually works great. 
Software is a bit lacking. Remote Play app doesn't support Dualsense on Android.

There is a little weirdness with that. 

I used a different app for remote play and it doesn't seem to get the touch pad inputs.

But still neat.

the-pi-guy

I bought a Dualsense phone mount, so I could remote play on my phone.  

Hardware wise, it actually works great.  
Software is a bit lacking. Remote Play app doesn't support Dualsense on Android.

There is a little weirdness with that.  

I used a different app for remote play and it doesn't seem to get the touch pad inputs.

But still neat.

I've actually been using this a lot... Shockingly good.

Legend

The strategic partnership of  Konami Digital Entertainment and Bloober Team - Bloober Team IR

Bloober has to be doing Silent Hill. I didn't believe the rumors at first but now...

Xevross

The strategic partnership of  Konami Digital Entertainment and Bloober Team - Bloober Team IR

Bloober has to be doing Silent Hill. I didn't believe the rumors at first but now...
The rumours have been reliable and numerous for a long time, the only way SH wasn't going to be announced is if it got cancelled.

VGC are still asserting there's two SH games in dev, the other being made in Japan.

Bloober team are awful though, this kind of sucks.

Legend

Jun 30, 2021, 04:07 PM Last Edit: Jun 30, 2021, 04:20 PM by Legend
The rumours have been reliable and numerous for a long time, the only way SH wasn't going to be announced is if it got cancelled.

VGC are still asserting there's two SH games in dev, the other being made in Japan.

Lol did you even play the medium?

It sure shows a lot of potential.

I don't know how sh will work out but I'm excited for their next game.

the-pi-guy

Lol did you even play the medium?

It sure shows a lot of potential.

I don't know how sh will work out but I'm excited for their next game.
Xev has high standards and thinks anything below an 80 is bad.

Haven't played any of their games. But critically, their recent games have been a huge step up from their earlier ones. Another step up like that and Silent Hill could be excellent.

I thought you didn't like horror games?  Wouldn't this be a good thing, saving up better content for better studios?

Go Up