The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Wait Outer Wilds is leaving gamepass? WTF how am I supposed to keep pulling it up from time to time. Stop sucking gamepass.

Also one thing to note is that I don't like puzzle games, never have. I'd heard Outer Wilds is a lot like BOTW where its lots of discovery and exploration with no map markers, just letting you go where you want. But what I didn't realise is that Outer Wilds is basically just a big puzzle/ mystery game, like Return of the Obra Dinn but across a whole solar system and with the death loop mechanic. And the puzzles/ mystery is the focus rather than the follow-your-nose exploration and adventure.

That's really not my thing. Especially when its got the loop mechanic restricting you to what you can do and when, if I am gonna do a mystery I'd want it to be completely at my own pace and letting me go wherever I want at any time, follow any thread I want, without having to be reset every 22 minutes and bothering with flying back to where I was.
I think Outer Wilds blurs the lines between puzzle/mystery and follow your nose exploration. It doesn't really have puzzles and is more a "lock and key" setup. Instead of looking at something and figuring out a solution, you just go elsewhere until you are directly told the solution.

I have yet to play Obra Dinn.