Half Life: Alyx Announced, Valve's "Flagship VR Game" coming March 23rd

Started by Xevross, Nov 19, 2019, 01:32 AM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Xevross

Source 2 will ship for free with the game, that's huge. Might get a new garry's mod with modern graphics, which would be even bigger than half life for me ;D

kitler53

not going to play it since it won't come to playstation.  just not going to build a gaming pc.

but it looks AAA enough but it also still looks bad.  i hope they prove me wrong but i just can't seem to not get nauseated on the games that have free movement.  and i really hate any amount of standing up while wearing VR,.. i just don't have a room devoid of furniture to dedicate to VR gaming like they showed at the beginning of the clip with jeff.   i'll bet it is cool but just not practical for home use, imo.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

the-pi-guy

but it looks AAA enough but it also still looks bad.  i hope they prove me wrong but i just can't seem to not get nauseated on the games that have free movement.  and i really hate any amount of standing up while wearing VR,.. i just don't have a room devoid of furniture to dedicate to VR gaming like they showed at the beginning of the clip with jeff.   i'll bet it is cool but just not practical for home use, imo.
Offers pretty much every type of movement.  I'm sure they will also have a bunch of comfort options.

the-pi-guy

1.3 million views on Valves channel alone.  (Makes up most of it I think)

Very positive reception. 

Just a cursory glance, at other big VR games, there are only a few games that cracked a million views, let alone did it in less than 6 hours. 

Edit 3 million views between Valve's and IGN's page.
231k likes to 6.5k dislikes on Valve's page. 
Huge.

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

1.3 million views on Valves channel alone.  (Makes up most of it I think)

Very positive reception.  

Just a cursory glance, at other big VR games, there are only a few games that cracked a million views, let alone did it in less than 6 hours.  

Edit 3 million views between Valve's and IGN's page.
231k likes to 6.5k dislikes on Valve's page.  
Huge.
Lol yeah this game will be big

the-pi-guy

Lol yeah this game will be big
I'm super hyped seeing all the people getting into VR.  Moreso than I am to see the game.  

the-pi-guy

Valve: With Index Out 'We're Having A Blast And Feeling Highly Productive'
"In addition, we were using prototype Index hardware for much of Half-Life: Alyx's development, and that added another layer of complexity to the software development side," Grimes continued. "Now that we have a polished VR workflow and we've shipped the Index, we're having a blast and feeling highly productive."
Here Are The Minimum Required Specifications For Half-Life: Alyx

Half-Life: Alyx's listed minimum specifications are as follows:

Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM
Half-Life: Alyx Will Support 'Community-Built Environments' - UploadVR
A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve's level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game's virtual reality gameplay tools and components.
sd
Valve: Some Half-Life: Alyx Interactions Only Work With Index Controllers

"We've really tried to make the best use of Index Controllers for those who have them, while also ensuring that those who don't still have a great experience with Half-Life: Alyx. There's a small set of things that Index Controllers can do that other controllers can't do at all, and they're fun but not required - like being able to crush a can that you're holding in your hand. But there's a larger set of things that work on any tracked controllers, yet end up being better on Index Controllers because we were developing them in concert with the game. The most obvious example is the core interaction players have with objects in Half-Life: Alyx - picking up, holding, dropping, throwing, and manipulating. Players perform these basic actions many times throughout the game, and over our years of playtesting, we've found that combining the player's trigger usage with their tracked finger locations was the most successful method of supporting their intentions. So while you can perform most actions with just a trigger or a button, we just think it feels more natural with the way the Index Controllers operate. Finally, the ability for the player to relax their hands without dropping their controller turned out to be a significant factor in our Half-Life: Alyx playtests. As our Index Controller prototypes started replacing our older controllers in playtests, we started seeing players able to play for longer and longer stretches of time, because they weren't required to hold onto a real-world object the entire time. This wasn't really something we saw as a problem in our early days of VR development, but now that VR games are becoming longer and more fully featured, we think it's becoming more important."
Valve 'Would Love' To Bring Half-Life: Alyx To PC But It 'Can't Translate'

Valve's own Dario Casali fielded that question in a roundtable interview with Geoff Keighley, published today. "We would love to be delivering a version of this that you could play with a mouse and a keyboard, but like as we said it began as an exploration of VR," Casali said. "The more we used the controllers and the headset we realized -- the amount of interactions this give us, the amount of possibilities these things give us, the more we explored it, the more we realized that there's so much opportunity that we can't really translate back to the keyboard."
Gabe Newell on Half-Life Alyx: 'Valve excited to return Half-Life, VR has energized the studio'

"Everyone at Valve is excited to be returning to the world of Half-Life. VR has energized us. We've invested a lot of ourselves in the technology. But we're also game developers at heart, and to be devoting ourselves to a VR game this ambitious is just as exciting. For that to come in the form of Half-Life feels like the culmination of a lot things we care a lot about: truly great games, cutting edge technology, and open platforms. We can't wait for people to experience this."

Xevross

Cute Pikachu

The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

the-pi-guy

1060 is the minimum? Yeesh
The minimum pushes 90 fps slightly above 1080p.  

Something like 30% of PC's can run it on steam

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

Are you for arms or not?
Either is fine probably.
Most games don't have arms. Doesn't really hurt the experience.  

Go Up