Xbro

I recommend PostgreSQL over MySQL
3 people like this

Legend

I recommend PostgreSQL over MySQL
Why do you prefer postgresql?

I've never had any trouble with mysql.

Xbro

There's really not that much difference, and you shouldn't really have trouble.

I just prefer postgres because it was the first one I used. That and it's easier to enter a date.
3 people like this

Legend

I think I've figured out what I'm going to do for a progression system in VizionEck.

1. Play the game and gain experience. This experience  can be spent as an in game currency to unlock new maps, new modes, and new titles. Outside of costing xp, these may also have other requirements to make them more interesting and unique such as needing to have at least 10 kills in a row to get a killstreak title.

2. Experience also works towards increasing your level. Every time you level up, you earn a "development coin" which at that moment you spend on one of five potential new features. It's basically like an in game poll to decide what people want the most and once features get enough coins they're developed. XP can be spent on development coins as well.

SWORDF1SH

I think I've figured out what I'm going to do for a progression system in VizionEck.

1. Play the game and gain experience. This experience  can be spent as an in game currency to unlock new maps, new modes, and new titles. Outside of costing xp, these may also have other requirements to make them more interesting and unique such as needing to have at least 10 kills in a row to get a killstreak title.

2. Experience also works towards increasing your level. Every time you level up, you earn a "development coin" which at that moment you spend on one of five potential new features. It's basically like an in game poll to decide what people want the most and once features get enough coins they're developed. XP can be spent on development coins as well.
What about loot boxes?

Legend

What about loot boxes?
Well that goes without saying.

SWORDF1SH

Well that goes without saying.

You had me worried for a second there.

Legend

No monthly update today or next month. It's the holidays!  8)

the-pi-guy

Must be nice.  Not everyone gets holidays like that.  :P

Legend

Must be nice.  Not everyone gets holidays like that.  :P
Oh I'm not on holiday.

I'm busy being a house wife.

SWORDF1SH

the-pi-guy

I've gotten like 6 rejections for a summer internship.  :P

There wouldn't happen to be an opening for a (unpaid) VizionEck summer internship, would there?  ;)

Legend

I've gotten like 6 rejections for a summer internship.  :P

There wouldn't happen to be an opening for a (unpaid) VizionEck summer internship, would there?  ;)
Well here at VizionEck we're always looking for opportunities to start developing new games and never finish them. You're accepted!

But seriously you should look into other indie studios. Most 1-2 man games almost always start with artists and shop around for programmers. Or you could fix up the forum code  ::)

the-pi-guy

But seriously you should look into other indie studios. Most 1-2 man games almost always start with artists and shop around for programmers.
I know when I'm not wanted.  :(

/s

That's a great idea!  Probably not for this summer, but after graduation.  

Legend

I'm really worried the game will not have a large enough playerbase to support matchmaking: there is a reason indie games avoid multiplayer.

Current hope is that I can get AI working good enough that playing with it is comparable to playing with random humans. Then I'd at least have some options. Too bad AI is really really hard :(

Go Up