The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

My gear arrived today!

Didn't expect it for another 10 days. Setting up now.

the-pi-guy

My gear arrived today!

Give your thoughts!  :D

Mmm_fish_tacos

My gear arrived today!

So how is it?

the-pi-guy

Mmm_fish_tacos

He's still gone in that place!  It's taken his mind, and his heart.  
It's nice, I miss mine. I can't wait till I get the real thing. If it ever ships.

Legend

INCREDIBLE!!!

Screen is kinda blurry, Has some screen door effect too. Jitters a bit.

Yet none of that stops it from being jaw dropping. Even the initial loading scene was crazy with me passing the headset around the house. VR is the future for sure. Virtual cinema is the best APP so far at making you feel like you're on another world. Also the gearVR has a surprisingly good feeling FOV. Would be more than fine if that's all high end VR offered.

Does have some drawbacks though. Controlling is hard and weird. Definitely need to use a gamepad. Also the quality of the experience and the weight of the device make me feel like gaming in general just wouldn't be that fun for long periods of time.

Played about an hour I think, and I'm really looking forward to some good software.

the-pi-guy

INCREDIBLE!!!

Yet none of that stops it from being jaw dropping. Even the initial loading scene was crazy with me passing the headset around the house. VR is the future for sure. Virtual cinema is the best APP so far at making you feel like you're on another world. Also the gearVR has a surprisingly good feeling FOV. Would be more than fine if that's all high end VR offered.

Does have some drawbacks though. Controlling is hard and weird. Definitely need to use a gamepad. Also the quality of the experience and the weight of the device make me feel like gaming in general just wouldn't be that fun for long periods of time.

Played about an hour I think, and I'm really looking forward to some good software.
This was your first real VR experience, yes?  

Legend

the-pi-guy

Right, so viewers of my show know I've been rolling 2 x GTX 970s for about a year now and that's gone surprisingly smooth. I only ever had one quirky demo that didn't like the pair. Otherwise, it's been plain sailing.
Well, with the recent arrival of my Vive, I've now found an added bonus of this configuration - having the extra HDMI port (2 total) means I can operate the units simultaneously!
That is pretty dang cool. One machine, two HMDs. Two DIFFERENT games. Luckey's Tale and Audioshield, for instance. No discernable lag so far. It's beautiful. We'll show this off live some night and see how the performance is with OBS and streaming in tandem, but dang, I did not expect such a cool result.
Anyway, that's my little discovery of the day. Hope it helps somebody.
SLI Bonus: Two HMDs at same time! (Rift & Vive) : oculus

Mmm_fish_tacos

INCREDIBLE!!!

I guess you know that you can adjust the screen. I had a problem with it going blurry and I think it's because the IDP isn't right for my eyes. So one eye would get kind of blurry sometimes. Screen door is there for sure, sometimes it would go away depending on the quality of the software, but when you first put it on you're looking for everything you've been reading about so it's hard to ignore. The high end headsets should be a lot better.  The weight is going to be a lot better in the real headsets, the straps are much better designed to distribute the weight around. The quailty should also be a lot better. Even though the screen is Higher resolution it's really not as the phone cant power it that well. I still believe actual resolution is less than 1080.

Try out the dreamworks app. I think that was the best vr experience I had on the Gearvr.

Legend

It's nice, I miss mine. I can't wait till I get the real thing. If it ever ships.
What happened with yours?

I've spent a few more hours in Gear VR. The fov, framerate, resoltion, blur, and screen door effect all seem good enough for this stage.

What VR needs is better comfort, better tracking, and better software.

My best experience has been the Netflix app. The environment is just so good. It simulates head movement as you look around giving everything a real feeling. With a low light show playing, it looks eerily real.

Most other software is ugly, low resolution, pivot only, and incorrect scale. 360 3d videos made by Samsung look pretty good, but everything else is just poor feeling. 360 2d is much better at not sucking. Feels like a Disney ride with projector screens surrounding you.

I've yet to feel the desire for room scale VR, but having a foot or two of movement feels needed. Bending forward and leaning around currently breaks the experience, yet in vr you can't help but feel the desire to do so.

GearVR is comfy on its own, but with headphones it gets sore fast. A full on helmet would feel better imo. Once inside you don't care about bulk.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I've spent a few more hours in Gear VR. The fov, framerate, resoltion, blur, and screen door effect all seem good enough for this stage.

My best experience has been the Netflix app. The environment is just so good. It simulates head movement as you look around giving everything a real feeling. With a low light show playing, it looks eerily real.

Most other software is ugly, low resolution, pivot only, and incorrect scale. 360 3d videos made by Samsung look pretty good, but everything else is just poor feeling. 360 2d is much better at not sucking. Feels like a Disney ride with projector screens surrounding you.

I've yet to feel the desire for room scale VR, but having a foot or two of movement feels needed. Bending forward and leaning around currently breaks the experience, yet in vr you can't help but feel the desire to do so.

GearVR is comfy on its own, but with headphones it gets sore fast. A full on helmet would feel better imo. Once inside you don't care about bulk.
I sold it. I only bought it to test out vr. Knowing it wasn't going to compare to the high end headsets. I just wanted to know what vr felt like. I also got lucky and ended up with two of them so I made some money on the deal.

the-pi-guy

Amazingly pretty much all of that is supposed to be much better on the actual sets.  I think resolution is the only thing out of those that takes a hit, but with better results.  

You're rehyping me up! :D

the-pi-guy

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Oculus Rift Launch Thread: Ballpark 2016

Has anyone gotten The Talos Principle to work with CV1? I'd love to run through those calming environments... Edit: This is what happens when you get a bunch of VR devs in a room together (I'm in the Vive):
/

Legend

Ugh I spent about two hours in GearVR without a break.

The nausea is catching up to me.

Go Up