Jason Schreier: Sony's Horizon coming to PC later this year

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 16, 2020, 07:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Legend

Weird.

I can see the business sense. Decima supports PC, the game is fairly old, and this move could get more people excited for Horizon 2, but it still seems weird.

I wonder if this was partially why Sony Online was sold off.

DerNebel

Oh yeah, that's what I needed. A new source for constant idiotic bickering, begging, fighting and console warring. Gonna ignore the internet for today, PS related communities will be insufferable.

the-pi-guy

We expect to see the game on both Steam and the Epic Games Store when it launches (although that may not be finalized yet).
Super weird.  I really can't imagine having Horizon on Steam....  

Legend

I really do worry about the industry at large though. Death of consoles would freaking suck even if we're all moving towards streaming anyway.

Xevross

This is very odd, why would Sony release a title like this as a one off? Maybe they want more people to play it as a marketing strategy for the sequel, but then you could ask why they aren't doing this for other games. I don't get it. Happy for PC gamers who wanted it of course, but really confused about Sony's strategy with this.

darkknightkryta

I'm assuming Sony spent the R&D to get Decima running on PC for Death Stranding.  This is probably to recoup costs.  With that said, I remember when Twisted Metal 2 and Jet Moto (2 I think) were released on PC.

the-pi-guy

Jan 16, 2020, 11:25 PM Last Edit: Jan 16, 2020, 11:54 PM by the-pi-guy
I really do worry about the industry at large though. Death of consoles would freaking suck even if we're all moving towards streaming anyway.
It's kind of strange.  
On the one hand it seems like MS, Sony seem like they're heading towards getting rid of consoles.  Consoles seem less important if you can play everything on PC.
On the other hand, a lot of mainstream games can already be played on PC.  CoD, Assassin's Creed, GTA, and all the other big multiplats are already on PC.  Yet plenty of people buy consoles to play those kinds of games.  

It seems possible for consoles to stay relevant, not for the games, but for the convenience factor.  

Editor at Eurogamer.

Legend

It's kind of strange.  
On the one hand it seems like MS, Sony seem like they're heading towards getting rid of consoles.  Consoles seem less important if you can play everything on PC.
On the other hand, a lot of mainstream games can already be played on PC.  CoD, Assassin's Creed, GTA, and all the other big multiplats are already on PC.  Yet plenty of people buy consoles to play those kinds of games.  

It seems possible for consoles to stay relevant, not for the games, but for the convenience factor.  

Editor at Eurogamer.
Xbox makes some sense to merge with Windows. Microsoft makes both and Xbox One has had its fair share of struggles this gen. Their new approach probably sits better with investors and is forward thinking for when both consoles and PCs become streaming boxes.

Sony however is in the opposite situation. PlayStation is one of their most important divisions and they gain essentially nothing from selling games on Windows. If people move out of the PlayStation ecosystem they lose PSN and PS+ money. It is literally just them transitioning to a 3rd party publisher with what is currently leaked.

I can really only make sense of this news if Sony is either doing this for select titles that make sense on a case by case basis (Horizon might be easy to port thanks to Death Stranding and Horizon 2 is coming soon for PS5, Dreams has greater potential on everything, MLB The Show was pushed for licensing reasons, etc.), or if they will shortly announce a major PC initiative that expands the PlayStation ecosystem to Windows. Something like PS Now can stream every single PS5 game.

DerNebel

Xbox makes some sense to merge with Windows. Microsoft makes both and Xbox One has had its fair share of struggles this gen. Their new approach probably sits better with investors and is forward thinking for when both consoles and PCs become streaming boxes.

Sony however is in the opposite situation. PlayStation is one of their most important divisions and they gain essentially nothing from selling games on Windows. If people move out of the PlayStation ecosystem they lose PSN and PS+ money. It is literally just them transitioning to a 3rd party publisher with what is currently leaked.

I can really only make sense of this news if Sony is either doing this for select titles that make sense on a case by case basis (Horizon might be easy to port thanks to Death Stranding and Horizon 2 is coming soon for PS5, Dreams has greater potential on everything, MLB The Show was pushed for licensing reasons, etc.), or if they will shortly announce a major PC initiative that expands the PlayStation ecosystem to Windows. Something like PS Now can stream every single PS5 game.
Yeah, people will throw around accusations of fanboyism for saying things like that, but if Sony is really looking to undermine their own ecosystem just to make a couple bucks on their old first party games a couple years down the line, then I'd legitimately consider that a stupid move.

And also I feel that people who keep celebrating the "platform agnostic future" are being short sighted and are ignoring the difference in design philosophies that apply to games that are primarily trying to sell a platforms/bring someone into an ecosystem as opposed to games looking to make as much money as possible by themselves. Sorry but I don't want Sony's games to be designed with the same principles as most EA/Activision/Ubisoft games are.

Legend

Yeah, people will throw around accusations of fanboyism for saying things like that
Video games bring out the inner child. It's both a positive and a negative at times. Plus it doesn't help that the vast majority of people don't know the business realities of being a platform holder, including us. It's pretty frustrating with this, Sony skipping E3, and XSX having cross gen exclusives. Games are changing and we should be able to discuss what this means. The general dismissiveness on the internet nowadays sucks.

DerNebel

Video games bring out the inner child. It's both a positive and a negative at times. Plus it doesn't help that the vast majority of people don't know the business realities of being a platform holder, including us. It's pretty frustrating with this, Sony skipping E3, and XSX having cross gen exclusives. Games are changing and we should be able to discuss what this means. The general dismissiveness on the internet nowadays sucks.
Yes, it sucks big time. I mean yes we're all just arm chair analysts here, but does that mean we should just turn off our brain and accept anything these companies do as good (or bad depending on the internet's stance on the company) when it's announced? Everything is just black and white, no nuance allowed and it all needs to be taken at face value.

Have reservations about a subscription service based future for gaming? You're just a fanboy, who's jealous of the competitions service.

See value in exclusive software as that is often designed differently than multiplatform games due to a differing end goal? You're just a fanboy who doesn't want others to enjoy your games.

And now even:

You don't want first parties picking up more and more third party developers, as it brings the industry closer to a monopoly and also potentially takes away games from people who enjoyed them on other platforms? You're just a fanboy that's afraid you'll be the one losing the games.

"Bias" is just used as the "cure-all"-argument killer and it's made me realize that I'm simply sick of gaming discussion online nowadays. I don't want to claim that it was better a couple years ago, I probably simply took a form of enjoyment out of taking part in that kind of stuff back then. Nowadays it pisses me off so much, that I'm legitimately trying to cut out Resetera (which I just find dreadful with this stuff) of my internet consumption, for instance.

the-pi-guy

Mar 10, 2020, 04:38 PM Last Edit: Mar 10, 2020, 04:41 PM by the-pi-guy

Speaking of experimentation, there have been rumors of a Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition that might be coming to PC… can you confirm or deny that?

Yes, I can confirm that Horizon Zero Dawn is coming to PC this summer…. There will be more information coming from Guerrilla, from the new studio directors [Michiel van der Leeuw, JB van Beek, and Angie Smets] pretty soon.

PlayStation is no stranger to publishing titles on the PC, but Horizon: Zero Dawn is one of the largest games to make that leap. Is there anything you would say to PlayStation fans? What does it mean for the future?

Sure. I think it's important that we stay open to new ideas of how to introduce more people to PlayStation, and show people maybe what they've been missing out on.

And to maybe put a few minds at ease, releasing one first-party AAA title to PC doesn't necessarily mean that every game now will come to PC. In my mind, Horizon Zero Dawn was just a great fit in this particular instance. We don't have plans for day and date [PC releases], and we remain 100% committed to dedicated hardware.
Hermen Hulst Q&A: Interview with Head of PlayStation's Worldwide Studios - PlayStation.Blog.Europe

nnodley

I'm guessing this is a test for sony to see how their games do on PC.

I'm expecting the games to be only on the console for the first year and then be ported to PC a year later.  Possibly

the-pi-guy