Sony announces PlayStation Classic, a $100 mini PS1

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 19, 2018, 11:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

PlayStation Classic, a $100 mini PS1 with 20 games, coming in December - Polygon

There will be 20 games in all, but Sony only announced five of them today: Final Fantasy 7, Jumping Flash, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3 and Wild Arms. "All of the pre-loaded games will be playable in their original format,"

However, the replica buttons on the top of the system do have actual functions: Power does what you'd expect; the open button swaps virtual discs; and the reset button suspends games. There's no word on whether the PlayStation Classic will include visual filters or display settings like the options available on Nintendo's retro consoles.

For that price, customers will get the system and two controllers. The gamepads are full-size replicas of the PS1's original controller, not the DualShock, so they and don't include analog sticks or vibration.

DerNebel

The SNES Classic was probably one of my biggest wastes of a purchase in recent times, played that thing for maybe an hour or so and haven't touched it since, so I'm good with these retro consoles.

Xevross

Yeah I guess its cool for people who like this kind of stuff but its a hard pass from me.

Cute Pikachu

Haven't bought any retro console. May buy a ps2 mini if it happens. Ps1 is alright
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

the-pi-guy

Haven't bought any retro console. May buy a ps2 mini if it happens. Ps1 is alright
PS2 mini would be amazing.  
FFX, Jak and Daxter, Kingdom Hearts!  
Maybe Gran Turismo 4.  

Cute Pikachu

PS2 mini would be amazing.  
FFX, Jak and Daxter, Kingdom Hearts!  
Maybe Gran Turismo 4.  
Also N64 mini would be good too.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

the-pi-guy

Also N64 mini would be good too.
Yeah.  Hopefully that comes too.  

Super Mario 64, paper Mario, Donkey Kong 64 (maybe), GoldenEye 007.
Would be solid.  

Ludicrous Speed

No thanks

I'd gladly pay to play Destructuon Derby Raw, Blood Omen, Soul Reaver, or Kagero on my PS4 though.

BananaKing

Yeah.  Hopefully that comes too.  

Super Mario 64, paper Mario, Donkey Kong 64 (maybe), GoldenEye 007.
Would be solid.  
It would need 4 controllers though but you know Nintendo would charge you 50 bucks per controller

darkknightkryta

Why is  it so hard for these people to put the proper drives/connectors in these things?  Holy hell.  

Legend

The SNES Classic was probably one of my biggest wastes of a purchase in recent times, played that thing for maybe an hour or so and haven't touched it since, so I'm good with these retro consoles.
Yea Nintendo struck gold with their NES. My local grocery store would always sell these retro systems with preloaded games from halloween to Christmas and no one really cared. Nintendo just joined the party but somehow managed to reinvent the market. Now these retro systems are super popular but I still just picture them as dorky.

Image result for king soopers retro video game system

darkknightkryta

Yea Nintendo struck gold with their NES. My local grocery store would always sell these retro systems with preloaded games from halloween to Christmas and no one really cared. Nintendo just joined the party but somehow managed to reinvent the market. Now these retro systems are super popular but I still just picture them as dorky.

Image result for king soopers retro video game system
Sega has a lot of those.  At least you can plug cartridges into them.  I think ATmega has a good looking one.

Legend

Reading the reddit thread, do you think this will have an impact on backwards compatibility going forward?

Also, Vita TV was a lot better value. I wish I bought one when they were cheap.

the-pi-guy

Reading the reddit thread, do you think this will have an impact on backwards compatibility going forward?
I am hoping not.

Also, Vita TV was a lot better value. I wish I bought one when they were cheap.
Oh yeah.  It was like $30 at one point.  I think that's when I got it.  

Holy cow, they are selling for like $150 on Amazon.   Ouch.

kitler53

i already purchased my "retro" console.  it was called raspberry Pi.

i just can't see the value in $100 for 20 retro games from one console era.  hell, even on my raspberry Pi  where i downloaded all of my favorites from nes, snes, genisis, ect,..  i still really can't get much passed 20 games i even want to replay.  i basically have it as a "training console" for my son until he is ready to try out a modern console controller.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens