Twisty Puzzle Simulator OT: piece by piece

Started by Legend, Oct 23, 2018, 03:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Positive reception so far and almost 20k views already!
Yeah it's crazy awesome getting the word out to more people. It's really fun seeing comments that echo how I would have reacted when I was younger. "Rubik's Puzzle World" was a game I loved as a kid but I always really wanted a game that put more focus on puzzle solving. Stumbling across this trailer as a 14 year old would have blown my mind.

the-pi-guy

Has more likes than VizionEck.

the-pi-guy

I think it would have been hard to ask for a better first game, when it comes to mainstream appeal. Maybe not hard, but it's a game that's pretty obvious what it is.  Which wasn't as true of VizionEck.

Even though this game doesn't have the same number of years of passion put into it, it is still a game that is driven by years of passion.  Be proud of what you made here.   ;D

Legend

Has more likes than VizionEck.
And less dislikes. Double the win!

I think it would have been hard to ask for a better first game, when it comes to mainstream appeal. Maybe not hard, but it's a game that's pretty obvious what it is.  Which wasn't as true of VizionEck.

Even though this game doesn't have the same number of years of passion put into it, it is still a game that is driven by years of passion.  Be proud of what you made here.   ;D

I can really agree with that. This game isn't my magnum opus or a big work of self expression, but it's still very personal and made with lots of love. The Adventure Update cranked everything up to 11 since I really didn't have any restrictions and could just make it up as I went. The cannons are one of my favorite parts since they are so pointless yet so perfect.

I love that VizionEck Cube Royale is a game invented from scratch without any tropes or genre, but man has it been nice marketing a game like this haha. The title alone can sell the game to a lot of people.

Legend

Mar 02, 2019, 08:41 PM Last Edit: Mar 03, 2019, 04:05 AM by Legend
Patch 1.06 is live.

New puzzles:
1x3x3
1x3x3 Super
2x4x4 Super

Also adds an option when playing in vr to let go of puzzles on button press instead of button release.

Some bug fixes and more buttons move in vr now too.

xaex

Patch 1.06 is live.

New puzzles:
1x3x3
1x3x3 Super
2x4x4 Super
WOW, thank you for adding the new puzzles. The 2x4x4 is amazing!!!
I added the codes for the 3 new puzzles to the code list.

I'm currently at 36 stars in the Adventure mode, can't wait to see what's beyond the 40 star blockade.

Legend

You're too good at finding these codes!

I've started work on the Global Update. The server is set up to track all solves so I can show cool stats but I'm not sure how to display them in game. After a puzzle is solved, I'm thinking of showing the global average for solve time and move count. This would be done in a similar fashion to how the game compares the current solve to your previous best.

Then at the bottom of the screen would be the option to press Square for expanded stat info. This would bring up a full leaderboard with the world's top solves and your personal solves.

xaex

Is it a single leaderboard, or a leaderboard for each difficulty level (Easy, Moderate, Hard)?

I can easily solve a 3x3x3 on Easy and Hard, but the Moderate one took a lot longer to solve :o (without having a visual clue to line up the bottom layer parts).

I'm now at 45 stars, 3 away for the next area. You set up the puzzles in each section perfectly, gradually getting more difficult as you move along to newer areas.

Legend

One for each difficulty. In general I'm treating each difficulty as a seperate puzzle since they can be solved in different ways.

Also I'm calculating the average as the average of each player's average. That way a person who solves a puzzle over and over to get a great score doesn't skew the results.

How many coins do you have?

xaex

One for each difficulty. In general I'm treating each difficulty as a seperate puzzle since they can be solved in different ways.

Also I'm calculating the average as the average of each player's average. That way a person who solves a puzzle over and over to get a great score doesn't skew the results.

How many coins do you have?
Ah, nice, multiple boards :)

I now have 46 stars and ~500 coins (still have the 1000 coin star to buy). I already bought the Box for 2000 coins and unlocked the Courtyard's puzzle.

I found another code, for the Stubby Pentagon   U L D R U L D R O X   and added it to the code list.  Do all of the new puzzles (like 1x2x2, Helicopter Third, Pyramid, etc..) have new codes to unlock them in Free Play?

Legend

Ah, nice, multiple boards :)

I now have 46 stars and ~500 coins (still have the 1000 coin star to buy). I already bought the Box for 2000 coins and unlocked the Courtyard's puzzle.

I found another code, for the Stubby Pentagon   U L D R U L D R O X   and added it to the code list.  Do all of the new puzzles (like 1x2x2, Helicopter Third, Pyramid, etc..) have new codes to unlock them in Free Play?
All puzzles do indeed have codes for free play.

xaex

All puzzles do indeed have codes for free play.
Code hunting time ;D

I just went into Free Play mode to play the Dodecahedron and just realized that the code for the Stubby Pentagon was the same  U L D R U L D R O X  .
Did the code for the Dodecahedron change?

Legend

Code hunting time ;D

I just went into Free Play mode to play the Dodecahedron and just realized that the code for the Stubby Pentagon was the same  U L D R U L D R O X  .
Did the code for the Dodecahedron change?
It did. None of these puzzles have their codes hidden since these are easy puzzles. Instead the codes are somewhat logically related to what the puzzles are and how codes for other puzzles are set up. The dodecahedron code changed to help fit with this.

xaex

Mar 07, 2019, 02:48 AM Last Edit: Mar 08, 2019, 12:16 AM by xaex Reason: Added another code.
It did. None of these puzzles have their codes hidden since these are easy puzzles. Instead the codes are somewhat logically related to what the puzzles are and how codes for other puzzles are set up. The dodecahedron code changed to help fit with this.
Makes sense.  I took out the Dodecahedron from the code list and also added Pentultimate  L L L L L L L L L O X  .

EDIT: Found the code for Tricky Tower  D U D U R R L L O X  .  Intersting puzzle :)
And the easiest puzzle in the game, the 1x2x2  O U U L L O X  .

Legend

I'm not sure what might be needed to make it follow Sony/steam rules, but the plan is to have all leaderboards up on this website and in game.

I wrote my own server software instead of using anything else so that I can keep all players together and record multiple solves instead of just one per user. That way I can also have Ao5 leaderboards or anything else.

Go Up