Digital Foundry vs Xbox One backwards compatibility

Started by Legend, Jun 20, 2015, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Unlike the spotty backwards compatibility available on Xbox 360, which required a custom wrapper for each individual game, Microsoft has taken a more extensive approach through the use of a virtual machine that runs on the Xbox One as a game in and of itself. This virtual environment includes the Xbox 360 OS features, though they remain unavailable to the user, enabling the software to behave as if it is running on original hardware. The Xbox One then views this "Xbox 360" app as its own game allowing features such as screenshots and video sharing. The emulator supports both digital downloads and original DVDs, though discs simply act as a key, the core data downloading over the internet via Xbox Live.

Kameo was one of two Xbox 360 launch titles from Rare and remains a lovely game to this day. It's also one of the best performers in the entire roster of backwards compatible titles, with a near flawless presentation. The frame-rate during our test held rock solid at 30fps, just as we had hoped, and all of the lovely lighting and textures are present and accounted for. It feels every bit as solid on Xbox One as it does on Xbox 360. Of the titles we tested this is the virtual machine working at its best, producing the most accurate 'emulation'. Status: Virtually perfect.

It should be noted that as an early title on Xbox 360, Mass Effect suffers from rather egregious tearing, severe texture pop-in and serious frame-rate issues - all issues which were improved in subsequent games. The results on Xbox One are very interesting and a little unexpected.

Mass Effect: As it stands, during both exploration and combat sequences, the game runs upwards of 30 per cent slower on Xbox One with a deviation ranging between 5-10fps at any random point. What was already a sluggish experience on original hardware becomes nearly unplayable at points on Xbox One. During an explosive encounter during the train sequence in the first mission, we encountered dips as low as 10fps. We suspect that forcing v-sync is to blame for the drop in performance, though CPU inefficiencies seen in many early Unreal Engine 3 titles may also be an issue. We'll be eager to see how the virtual machine evolves over the coming months and we can't wait until other Unreal Engine titles become available for testing, but for now, this is not the right way to experience the game. Status: Sub-optimal and nearly unplayable in places.

More at the link http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...ty-on-xbox-one

darkknightkryta

I don't think digital foundry understands what Microsoft is actually doing with the emulator...  Or how emulators work.

Legend

I don't think digital foundry understands what Microsoft is actually doing with the emulator...  Or how emulators work.
Yeah I need to read their full article, cause it sure is more than a 360 virtual machine.

darkknightkryta

Yeah I need to read their full article, cause it sure is more than a 360 virtual machine.
A virtual machine in itself is an emulator.  It's just that they're going game by game again, exactly how they did it with the original Xbox emulation.  Or rather, how most emulators do it.  Emulators in general are a cesspool or game hacks.

Legend

A virtual machine in itself is an emulator.  It's just that they're going game by game again, exactly how they did it with the original Xbox emulation.  Or rather, how most emulators do it.  Emulators in general are a cesspool or game hacks.
Virtual machines are kinda like emulators, but they are different. However it's kinda just semantics at this point since Microsoft hasn't said it's one or the other.

darkknightkryta

Virtual machines are kinda like emulators, but they are different. However it's kinda just semantics at this point since Microsoft hasn't said it's one or the other.
All an emulator is; is an interpreter.  Which is what a virtual machine is doing.  Case in point: Java virtual machine.  But on the flip end, they're trying to create the entire 360 OS.  So it's more akin to a virtual box.  But as you say; semantics.

ethomaz

They is no difference.

Virtual Machine is a combination of emulators that emulates each piece of hardware of the original system... so you are emulating the CPU, GPU, memory access, I/O, HDD access, etc... everything you have on 360 is emulated by a virtual machine.

But the emulation is not flawless... even the big companies like VMWare have issues when some softwares runs over a Virtual Machine and they need to hot fix these specifics issues every time (it is a constant work).

And the fact you need to download the game again from Live means it needs to be revised/modified and the binary download from the internet is not the same you have on the DVD.

Legend

By the sound of it the games are fully recompiled on their end for xbox one, and then the Xbox One just runs the code natively. The 360 dashboard and such are included in the recompiled code. No emulation or virtual machine.

darkknightkryta

Jun 22, 2015, 10:57 PM Last Edit: Jun 22, 2015, 11:01 PM by darkknightkryta

By the sound of it the games are fully recompiled on their end for xbox one, and then the Xbox One just runs the code natively. The 360 dashboard and such are included in the recompiled code. No emulation or virtual machine.
I'm guessing they did write an "emulator" so to speak.  Or rather, they wrote a translator.  This is more or less my suggestion for Sony.  Write a PSX/PS2/PS3 recompiler.  Pop in the game and wait for the recompiler to do its job.  Though I'm guessing with MS the recompiler is currently a hack job.

Edit: Just watched.  It's just an emulator that had games hacked into it.  More or less what I've been saying all along.