How will we handle VR regulations and safety as the tech improves?

Started by Legend, Nov 16, 2018, 05:23 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

It wouldn't be possible for many years but eventually VR could cause many problems. A person could think they were still in VR and kill someone for example. Or they could forget they were in VR and spend too long in it.

the-pi-guy

This is something I've thought about a fair amount.  More of a fear thing.  

But I haven't really been able to think of any solid solutions, because there are a ton of variables.  

Whether VR is free roaming, or not for example could lead to different problems and different solutions.  

But VR is already good at altering the brain.  It's being used in therapy despite being very limited, today.  

Maybe there will be some limitations put on VR to avoid this problem. Whether from a software or a hardware standpoint.  

Maybe an AI will be utilized to curb someone's behavior.  

Legend

Something I've thought about is 2D video games. While playing them you "forget" you're playing a game and just focus on the world. The controller, the edges of the screen, and everything else just get ignored. You'd never mistake the game for real life but it's not something you actively think about.

I wonder if something similar could be done in VR. Make it have obvious mistakes and glitches that make it impossible to confuse it for real reality but design those glitches so that they are only noticeable when you aren't engaged in the game.