The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

If you have a PC strong enough to run VR, you most likely are primarily a PC player.

The only PSVR games they'd buy would be exclusives, just like the only PS4 games they buy are exclusives.
If it comes out at $399 and they are targeting the enthusiasts, yeah I think PC support would be smart.

However if they go for the mass market price of $199 then it needs to be exclusive. With this strategy they'd be making money off software and expanding the VR market, not off the hardware. OR and Vive cannot go this low.
PC only gamers will most likely be buying Vive and OR.  Better features, such as resolution,  only frame rate would be better.  (So far).

So there's very little reason to suggest they'd be buying PSVR for PC only.  

PS/PC gamers on the other hand
Will likely be having to choose between headsets.  PC probably is the better choice.  
For this group, no PC support means lost software sales for PS, as well as lost hardware sales.  

Even if they're only buying it for exclusives, those games would do better and make the picture for VR that much brighter for Sony.  
This means more exclusives down the road.  

Legend

PC only gamers will most likely be buying Vive and OR.  Better features, such as resolution,  only frame rate would be better.  (So far).

So there's very little reason to suggest they'd be buying PSVR for PC only.  

PS/PC gamers on the other hand
Will likely be having to choose between headsets.  PC probably is the better choice.  
For this group, no PC support means lost software sales for PS, as well as lost hardware sales.  

Even if they're only buying it for exclusives, those games would do better and make the picture for VR that much brighter for Sony.  
This means more exclusives down the road.  

Yeah PC only gamers would be off on their own.

I'm going off the assumption that Sony doesn't care about hardware sales, just market size. Like their comment about pricing it like a console and not a peripheral. Profit margins will be slim. If PSVR supports PC, then some PC players will buy one and buy exclusives. As you said, most PC gamers think OR/Vive are better hardware and would want to splurge. But if it doesn't support PC, then these people on the fence will have to chose one or the other. Say half of them chose OR/Vive and the other half chose console VR only. Then that console group will be buying way more than just the exclusives. In this situation Sony would sell more software.

the-pi-guy

The argument would be which group buys more games.  

Group A which is smaller, but buys all the games.  
Group B which is larger, but only buys exclusives.  

I think Group B would be more beneficial.  

If Group A has 100K, and buys 5 games on average.
And group B has 200K and buys 3 games on average.  
Then group B has bought more games.  

Which might end up being the case, if there are that many people on the edge, and depending on PSVR support.  

I'm just very worried about PSVR support.  "More than 10 games" doesn't sound very exciting.  Even more when you wonder how many will be worth it.  
Just feels exactly what happened with the 3D, Move and Vita.  
Had some exciting software that ended up not being as good as expected, and hardware sales didn't catch on fire.  Then those things were quickly forgotten.  

Dr. Pezus

The argument would be which group buys more games.  

Group A which is smaller, but buys all the games.  
Group B which is larger, but only buys exclusives.  

I think Group B would be more beneficial.  

If Group A has 100K, and buys 5 games on average.
And group B has 200K and buys 3 games on average.  
Then group B has bought more games.  

Which might end up being the case, if there are that many people on the edge, and depending on PSVR support.  

I'm just very worried about PSVR support.  "More than 10 games" doesn't sound very exciting.  Even more when you wonder how many will be worth it.  
Had some exciting software that ended up not being as good as expected, and hardware sales didn't catch on fire.  Then those things were quickly forgotten.  
Didn't he say 10 launch games? Doesn't mean there are only 10 games on the way

Legend

I think in that case Sony would patch PC support in. Or else hackers would have it supported by then.

But I get your point. Definitely too soon to know how PS4 VR support will go.

the-pi-guy

Didn't he say 10 launch games? Doesn't mean there are only 10 games on the way
I never said there would "only" be 10 games.  
I'm worried that support won't pick up.  

I'm worried about something like this
No games people want -> Low sales -> Companies don't want to risk it -> No games people want  -(repeats)-->  gets forgotten -> 5 years from now people will decide that VR was unwanted.  

Legend

I never said there would "only" be 10 games.  
I'm worried that support won't pick up.  

I'm worried about something like this
No games people want -> Low sales -> Companies don't want to risk it -> No games people want  -(repeats)-->  gets forgotten -> 5 years from now people will decide that VR was unwanted.  
At the very least they have a VR dedicated studio. Sure seems like they're going all in.

the-pi-guy

At the very least they have a VR dedicated studio. Sure seems like they're going all in.
Here's to dreams, and really good cake.  

Legend

the-pi-guy

Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

So when are they going to talk date and price. So hyped for this.

the-pi-guy

Sep 21, 2015, 09:41 PM Last Edit: Sep 21, 2015, 09:48 PM by the-pi-guy
Disney Invests in Jaunt as Part of $65 Million - highest funded VR start up so far.
Disney Invests in Jaunt as Part of $65 Million Round | Re/code

Legend

kitler53

dear god,.. i can't beleive how ignorant some people are to VR. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7538114

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up