Sony and Marvel asked Insomniac what they wanted to do

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 12, 2018, 04:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

I'm not gonna say it didn't go down like that, but it's too much of a coincidence with Spider-man involved.  He'll the iron spider costume in Marvel vs Capcom can only be gotten from digitally buying Spider-man homecoming.  I'm not even sure if thr costume is available in the Xbox either.  I think Sony did make a deal for game rights.  Can also be a coincident.

the-pi-guy

I'm not gonna say it didn't go down like that, but it's too much of a coincidence with Spider-man involved.  He'll the iron spider costume in Marvel vs Capcom can only be gotten from digitally buying Spider-man homecoming.  I'm not even sure if thr costume is available in the Xbox either.  I think Sony did make a deal for game rights.  Can also be a coincident.
"Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man."

Legend

Devs like money just as much as publishers. They might have gone with spiderman because it made business sense.

BananaKing

Well I wouldn't be surprised if Sony urged them to do Spiderman. Also between Marvel's superheros the two most popular are Spiderman and Iron Man (at the time being). And with the success of the spiderman PS2 games, the popularity of the hero, and Sony's involvement in the character, I wouldn't be surprised if insomniac decided to go with him for those reasons. When the publisher of your game is also making a movie about the character, it makes sense to want to work and pick that hero and make a game about.

This is Marvel's push into the video game industry in a new and big way, and their first project is this game, so they might have actually gave them their pick so they can get out the biggest and best game possible

darkknightkryta

"Long story short: Sony came to us and asked if we wanted to work with Marvel. Sony and Marvel let us decide what character/universe we wanted to make a game based on. We chose Spider-Man."

I'm saying that's just P.R.

the-pi-guy

I'm saying that's just P.R.
This is pretty strong wording for just PR.

Creative Director of Spider-Man PS4 Says It 'Would Not Exist if It Wasn't for PlayStation' | Page 9 | ResetEra

audisio said:  
Sony has control of the spiderman character. Im pretty confident they made a deal to have the character exclusivity in videogame swhile marvel could use the persona on avengers.Click to expand...
Nope, Sony only have control of the movie license otherwise you would never have seen him in games by Activision on all other systems.

Kalentan said:  
I don't even know what is a joke anymore...Click to expand...
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...massively-multiplayer-online-game-development

That dude is weird this is the time when Marvel and Microsoft worked together. I dunno what happened with that.  
It has nothing to do with the movie deal. Period. End of Story.

darkknightkryta

This is pretty strong wording for just PR.

Creative Director of Spider-Man PS4 Says It 'Would Not Exist if It Wasn't for PlayStation' | Page 9 | ResetEra

Nope, Sony only have control of the movie license otherwise you would never have seen him in games by Activision on all other systems.

Kalentan said:    https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...massively-multiplayer-online-game-development

That dude is weird this is the time when Marvel and Microsoft worked together. I dunno what happened with that.    

So Sony Games division paid for exclusivity (Which isn't too different than negotiating a deal when remaking their movie contract)?  Or is this showing on the Xbox One next year?

Xevross

So Sony Games division paid for exclusivity (Which isn't too different than negotiating a deal when remaking their movie contract)?  Or is this showing on the Xbox One next year?
They just made a deal with Marvel to make and publish a Spider-Man game. There's 0% chance it comes out on anything else, its first party like any other Sony gone.

Kerotan

I don't know which side to believe but PR usually aims to trick you into thinking something. If they don't use strong enough wording you might not believe it so they often have to. Anyway I've not taken a side in that debate.

After sucker punch release ghost of tsushima i hope Sony and marvel get them working on an iron man game for the ps5. I believe their experience with the infamous franchise could really help them out here.

Imagine ps5 having spiderman 2 and iron man as exclusives. Plus an avengers game from square Enix.