Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I want to make regular paper flashcards from a excel document.  

Not sure how to do it.  I want to match stuff, if this is my excel document:

1   X  Y
1   X  Z
1   X  A
2   B  C
2   B  D
3   E  F

I want to put all the 1's on one card:
Front:
X
X
X

Back:
Y
Z
A

But uh, I have no clue how to do that.

kitler53

I want to make regular paper flashcards from a excel document.  

Not sure how to do it.  I want to match stuff, if this is my excel document:

1   X  Y
1   X  Z
1   X  A
2   B  C
2   B  D
3   E  F

I want to put all the 1's on one card:
Front:
X
X
X

Back:
Y
Z
A

But uh, I have no clue how to do that.
i've never tried in excel.  seems like the kind of thing word is better suited for because if you want paper flashcard layout is more important than data.

in word you create a grid and size it up the way out want (4 cards per page?  6? 8?) and then put the fronts of the card on "page 1" and the backs of the cards on "page 2".   Then as long as you keep the layout consistent you can get the flashcards correct by "printing on both sides".

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

i've never tried in excel.  seems like the kind of thing word is better suited for because if you want paper flashcard layout is more important than data.

in word you create a grid and size it up the way out want (4 cards per page?  6? 8?) and then put the fronts of the card on "page 1" and the backs of the cards on "page 2".   Then as long as you keep the layout consistent you can get the flashcards correct by "printing on both sides".

Word has a feature where you can take data from excel and format it how you want.  Usually done with addresses, but I think it should work here.

I just need to format the data so it doesn't because ~8000 flashcards.

the-pi-guy

Visual Studio: keep brackets on the same line.  

I know, I'm a monster.  

coding style :curly bracket after if statement - Stack Overflow

It's so crazy to me, that Visual Studio literally has an option to change this one specific thing depending on context.

Legend

Visual Studio: keep brackets on the same line.  

I know, I'm a monster.  

coding style :curly bracket after if statement - Stack Overflow

It's so crazy to me, that Visual Studio literally has an option to change this one specific thing depending on context.
I prefer the first but I am often too lazy to think about it so I often default to the second...

the-pi-guy

I prefer the first but I am often too lazy to think about it so I often default to the second...
Who knew smart people could be so wrong?   ::)

But for real I prefer the second but I think it's weird how touchy some people are about it.  My partner on a project spent like 20 minutes fixing the formatting on a project. Minor things like the brackets, nothing actually wrong.

Legend

Who knew smart people could be so wrong?   ::)

But for real I prefer the second but I think it's weird how touchy some people are about it.  My partner on a project spent like 20 minutes fixing the formatting on a project. Minor things like the brackets, nothing actually wrong.

It sure would be nice if things like that could just be visual settings. One programer sees them on the same line, the other sees them on different lines. For most projects we don't really need to treat code like a text file even if it's 100% text based.

darkknightkryta

I need them on the same column when I'm debugging my student's code.  I have them nest a lot of If statements and they tend to forget to close a few of them.  It's a pain trying to find which bracket is missing if they aren't lined up.

the-pi-guy

Legend

This is a monstrosity:

https://github.com/TerryCavanagh/VVVVVV/blob/e18dd195babfa1676785c17263c33df2699c26ee/desktop_version/src/Game.cpp#L708
I love stuff like that. Mike Bithell had a great talk about how you shouldn't try to impress anyone with your code when it's the game itself that matters. If it works, it works.

Although that is definitely a monstrosity haha. For some reason I think the text dialogue being hard coded irked me the most.

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

I need to do more programming.  

I've become soft.

Legend

I need to do more programming.  

I've become soft.
Make an ai  8)

the-pi-guy

I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out why my terrain was at 0,0,0 and my character was at 0,0,0
But my character had to be at like 430, 0, 430 in order to overlap with the terrain.  

The grouping I had my terrain in was shifted over.  

Legend

I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to figure out why my terrain was at 0,0,0 and my character was at 0,0,0
But my character had to be at like 430, 0, 430 in order to overlap with the terrain.  

The grouping I had my terrain in was shifted over.  
local vs global position?

Go Up