In about 4 weeks, I'll be taking:
Computer Networks
Compilers
Star Formation and Galaxies
Quantum Mechanics
Number Theory
Philosophy

darkknightkryta

I'm surprised your Discrete class wasn't mandatory.  It was for us.  What did they replace Formal Languages with for you?  They replaced ours with Discrete II and then replaced that with some comp sci version of it.

the-pi-guy

I'm surprised your Discrete class wasn't mandatory.  It was for us.  What did they replace Formal Languages with for you?  They replaced ours with Discrete II and then replaced that with some comp sci version of it.
Discrete was mandatory.  I took it as independent study because I had a time conflict.  

I still have to take Programming Language.  Theory of Computation also covered languages.  

darkknightkryta

Discrete was mandatory.  I took it as independent study because I had a time conflict.  

I still have to take Programming Language.  Theory of Computation also covered languages.  
"Formal Languages" not programming languages.  Theory of Computation might be that.  Pretty much Formal Languages is all state machines.  It's the math theory for compilers.  Minus the compiler part.

the-pi-guy

"Formal Languages" not programming languages.  Theory of Computation might be that.  Pretty much Formal Languages is all state machines.  It's the math theory for compilers.  Minus the compiler part.
That's theory of computation.  

Xevross

Dec 29, 2017, 11:31 AM Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017, 11:33 AM by Xevross
Well I'll add mine. This term my lecture courses were (the exams are all in final term May-June):

Statistics of Measurement
Thermodynamics
Fourier Analysis
Quantum Mechanics
Differential Equations
Statistical Physics

I also studied the quantum defect using spectroscopy in labs and did a computing project on ray tracer modelling. Next term I have:

Mathematical Methods
Electromagnetism 2
Atomic Physics
Solid State Physics
Nuclear and Particle Physics

Plus two more lab studies.

Also I have to write a science article over the break.

darkknightkryta

I finished making exams for my students.  I'm behind on my marking :(

the-pi-guy

Is Software engineering a completely separate thing from Computer Science in Canada?

darkknightkryta

Is Software engineering a completely separate thing from Computer Science in Canada?
Yes and no.  It's a course you have to take in Comp Sci.  There's an optional part 2.  There's also a full 4 year program that stretches those 2 courses into 4 years.  I think dedicated software engineering is a scam.  There's only so many ways to explain the same 3 business docs you're never going to use..

the-pi-guy

Yes and no.  It's a course you have to take in Comp Sci.  There's an optional part 2.  There's also a full 4 year program that stretches those 2 courses into 4 years.  I think dedicated software engineering is a scam.  There's only so many ways to explain the same 3 business docs you're never going to use..
Here SE and CS are pretty similar, SE is like CS lite, CS has more math and more theory classes; SE requires Databases and Software Engineering II.

But it sounded like in Canada, you have to do software engineering to be called an "engineer"

darkknightkryta

Here SE and CS are pretty similar, SE is like CS lite, CS has more math and more theory classes; SE requires Databases and Software Engineering II.

But it sounded like in Canada, you have to do software engineering to be called an "engineer"
You do.  It's why it's a scam.  It's just a business study with comp sci courses.  Or take Computer Engineering.

Xevross

Properly starting my revision/ studying grind for exams today. I have to do an average of four hours a day from now til mid June - on top of regular work and social stuff. Its gonna be fun!

the-pi-guy

Brits still don't know what revision means.  ::)

/s

Dr. Pezus

Properly starting my revision/ studying grind for exams today. I have to do an average of four hours a day from now til mid June - on top of regular work and social stuff. Its gonna be fun!
Ah, the glory days

the-pi-guy

Ah, the glory days
To be young again.  

And also a robot.  

I really need to study up on my physics classes.  
Math is going pretty good.  
Computer Science is going really good.
Philosophy is garbage.  Which is awesome.

I've just kind of been ignoring my physics classes lately.  So I need to catch up a bit.  The thing that's kind of bothersome, these classes just feel like the teachers are just picking random things to talk about.  Which is sometimes awesome when there's interesting stuff.  But usually it's not all that fun.  

My other classes are really awesome.  I feel like the class is designed to be about making progress towards something.  
Compilers is obviously about building a compiler.  And it's cool, we get to build each step, and we knew day 1 what we'd be doing the whole semester.  
Computer Networks is cool, we learn how networks work.  And we do it from the top down.  Which is cool.  You learn some practical stuff, then you learn how each layer works with it.  
Philosophy is literally just taking chapters out of a textbook, so it's pretty standard.
And my math class doesn't have a textbook, but it's still just amazingly set up.   It feels like we are building up to something, even though there isn't a textbook to show us where we are going.  Almost everything we do in that class depends on stuff we did earlier.  So like everyday is like "we showed that this is true yesterday, and we're building on this result in this way."  

So I've been talking to the math teacher about doing a study.  

Go Up