The problem with work ethic

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Aug 10, 2019, 04:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

nnodley

Aug 11, 2019, 03:00 PM Last Edit: Aug 11, 2019, 03:02 PM by nnodley
I think 80 hour work weeks are fine, but the ethic of thinking anything else is underperforming is definitely bad. Sometimes I'll be working on cool stuff and 100 hour work weeks breeze by without me really thinking about it. If you're in the flow and mixing up your tasks it isn't taxing. Alternatively if I'm just stuck doing something like rewriting a function over and over aimlessly, even 40 hours can seem too long. It's really important to take a good amount of breaks. Too few and you end up experiencing burnout, and too many and you just avoid dealing with the problem.
yeah i'd agree with this.  I think a lot of it has to do with what your working towards.  If i'm working towards building my own business or game or whatever then I would have no problem working 60 or more hours. TIme flies when i'm loving the stuff I work on.  Plus I have the power of when I do that work and when I take breaks.  I like working throughout the day with little breaks, then a bigger break, the work more in evening or night.  Then say I have plans at night then I can get my work done through the day.

It's all just figuring out balance.  

Can't tell you how long some days last at work right now cause I hate most of the work i'm doing there.  Not for long though!!!