General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

After I watch altered carbon, I think I'll get rid of netflix.

Never tried out disney+. Star Wars show ended up being skippable.

Legend

Fidel: The Famous Windowsill Labrador of Bruges : pics

I've seen this dog. Kinda funny seeing it posted online.

Dr. Pezus

6 Coronavirus cases confirmed already in Iceland. First one was less than 10 days ago. All of them were in the Alps skiing...

the-pi-guy

I'm sure I've mentioned this before. But at some point i'd like to have a media server.  Like my own private Netflix.

Pros: shows never leave, curated collection just for me, might be able to make edits to things (add subtitles mostly), high quality in-house streaming.

Cons: expensive to run and build library. Less portable.

the-pi-guy

nnodley

yup have one.

its pretty good for a cheap pen/screen tablet

the-pi-guy

yup have one.

its pretty good for a cheap pen/screen tablet
You have that exact one?  

nnodley

Mmm_fish_tacos

I also have the same one. Im selling for 200.

Legend

the-pi-guy

How is possible that amazon prime video has such a horrible User Interface? : NoStupidQuestions

why is (almost) every single streaming service unable to provide a decent UI / UX? | ResetEra

I'm pretty sure that netflix might have some patents on some of the stuff but I honestly can't wrap my head around some features missing or absurd behaviour:

- disney plus where is my "go to the next episode button"
 - hulu why to go to the next episode I have to click on an actual thumbnail of the next episode
 - amazon why is it so painful to actually manage languages preferences

and the list goes on and on... honestly this is almost like console makers removing folders at the start of a new generation: some of this things should be obvious and you should have them and honestly they should be copying netflix UI as much as possible...
 skipping the previous episodes summary should be a default tbh (although netflix might have a patent there?) and same applies to opening credits and definitely closing credits (looking at you disney plus)

what really I can't understand how it is possible that companies that are worth billions and have seen competitors in this space for years are not able to understand or design a decent UI / UX  
[/size]

It's like people just realized this, in the past week.

kitler53

i don't have disney but it seems like an ok interface from the pictures.

...amazon is such trash though.  i hate using their service enough to not watch shows i think i'd like.   all of amazon's interfaces are trash though.  i don't think it has anything to do with netflix.   amazon geared their interface towards the purchasing of individual digital content.  i think that is the core of their interface problem.  they can't just have a tile for a show they have to break it into seasons and episode because that is how the content is purchased.

what's worse is amazon's support of digital download to ipad (my preferred way to consume because i mostly watch on the commuter train).   amazon apparently has never heard of compression because 30 mintues of content from nextflix is generally less than 100 mb but amazon is around a gig.   take for fudgy ever to download too.  an episode from netflix on my internet is maybe 10 seconds,.. amazon is probably 5-10 minutes.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Disney plus has a great UI, its basically the exact same as Netflix.

the-pi-guy

Disney plus has a great UI, its basically the exact same as Netflix.
Yeah.  

Disney+ and Netflix are the only good ones I think.

Hulu and Amazon have some weird stuff.  
Amazon makes it hard to swap over to other seasons, add subtitles.  

Hulu makes it harder than it should be to find other episodes as well.  

It's kind of obnoxious how much better Netflix is in this area.  

the-pi-guy

I really like debunking websites.  

Snopes is a big famous one for politics.  

skeptical science is another I've found.  It does a lot of climate denial debunking. It goes into scientific explanations with different levels of explanations.

I really wish there was an antivaxxer debunking site.

Go Up