Hapax OT: Magnificent Desolation

Started by Legend, Dec 21, 2020, 03:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Kind of depends on what you/Xev mean.

Xev could argue that LotR is a lot more than just language in a book.  It also has a large amount of history and culture that is backed by Catholicism Creationism, and it has stories taking place in that world.

Or you could argue that LotR's history and culture itself existed because of Tolkien's languages. (Which he has said himself).  "The elvish languages evolved this way because these groups split up".

It is absolutely true that LotR exists because of language, but at the same time that can feel like a diminutive view that LotR is a collection of conlangs, that had a book written around it.  

Lotr is a lot more than language in a book, just like (I hope) Hapax is a lot more than language in a game.

A "house" isn't easy to make or worthless without its occupant.

Legend

Can I get away with not having a player shadow?

The game has running, jumping, crouching, and crawling so I can save a bit of dev time by not having animations for those.

#Budgeting

kitler53

sure you can.  if you want to be labeled as lazy.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

sure you can.  if you want to be labeled as lazy.
The Talos Principle didn't get labeled as lazy.

It's more about if the player can be immersed and feel like a physical human just from head bob and context.

kitler53

The Talos Principle didn't get labeled as lazy.

It's more about if the player can be immersed and feel like a physical human just from head bob and context.
i think it was obvious but in case not i was kidding.

i'm not sure if i know enough to even say anything.   are you a first-person perspective?  if so i don't think people expect the player to cast a shadow.  also people judge less on indie titles.  a AAA from playstation would be judge much more critically on these details.

Legend

i think it was obvious but in case not i was kidding.

i'm not sure if i know enough to even say anything.   are you a first-person perspective?  if so i don't think people expect the player to cast a shadow.  also people judge less on indie titles.  a AAA from playstation would be judge much more critically on these details.
I didn't realize you were kidding haha. Lazy devs rhetoric is far too popular and even if it's usually dumb, it is something I fear.

Yeah first person.

Being first person, my two priorities are immersing the player into the world and having them know they're human. I don't want the player to come to the conclusion they're a ghost or something.

the-pi-guy

I didn't realize you were kidding haha.
To be fair, it was a bad joke.  I didn't even exhale any extra air.  

Lazy devs rhetoric is far too popular and even if it's usually dumb, it is something I fear.
You'll be fine.

Yeah first person.

Being first person, my two priorities are immersing the player into the world and having them know they're human. I don't want the player to come to the conclusion they're a ghost or something.
Shadows are probably more distracting than not in first person games.  Are there any mirrors?

Legend

Jan 11, 2021, 09:12 PM Last Edit: Jan 11, 2021, 09:16 PM by Legend
To be fair, it was a bad joke.  I didn't even exhale any extra air.  
You'll be fine.

Shadows are probably more distracting than not in first person games.  Are there any mirrors?

I want to show off ray tracing so there are a lot of reflective surfaces, but nothing full body.

Might have to nix them though. Unity has a glitch with raytraced reflections that I need to sort out and I'm simultaneously trying to optimize performance.

Realistically I think I might just bite the bullet and add a fully animated player character. It adds "production value" and will help in trailers to sell the concept.

edt: but that is a lot of stupid extra work  :P

kitler53

Jan 12, 2021, 12:22 AM Last Edit: Jan 12, 2021, 05:31 AM by kitler53
I want to show off ray tracing so there are a lot of reflective surfaces, but nothing full body.

Might have to nix them though. Unity has a glitch with raytraced reflections that I need to sort out and I'm simultaneously trying to optimize performance.

Realistically I think I might just bite the bullet and add a fully animated player character. It adds "production value" and will help in trailers to sell the concept.

edt: but that is a lot of stupid extra work  :P
it was a stupidly small moment in the game but I loved seeing myself in the portal while playing portal.

Legend

I'm ignoring graphics atm and focusing on gameplay. Guess I won't have a video till next month.

Working on a magical boot that flies around right now  :P

Legend

Feb 05, 2021, 10:03 PM Last Edit: Feb 05, 2021, 10:25 PM by Legend

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a seamless open which is cool. Game boots into this home screen and all the initial setup happens on the left. Once the game is started, the menu fades away and the player stands up.

Lots of things in the screenshot are temp/wrong. I'm just validating the layout atm.

kitler53

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a seamless open which is cool. Game boots into this home screen and all the initial setup happens on the left. Once the game is started, the menu fades away and the player stands up.

Lots of things in the screenshot are temp/wrong. I'm just validating the layout atm.
i really enjoy that kind of opening.   the original infamous blew my mind on my first play thought.

Legend

i really enjoy that kind of opening.   the original infamous blew my mind on my first play thought.
I didn't remember that so I pulled it up.

Does anything hold up from that gen? lol I remember Infamous looking so cool.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

I didn't remember that so I pulled it up.

Does anything hold up from that gen? lol I remember Infamous looking so cool.

I'm not sure the video does it justice. the explosion happens when you click start and the rumble kicks in too.   it was just so unexpected. 

it was fine for an open world game on the ps3.  not great but pretty average for it's day.  

Go Up