Say Anything About The Game You're Currently Playing...

Started by ethomaz, Jun 05, 2014, 03:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

finished omno.  

it was like zelda if you eliminated any combat.  just light 3rd person puzzle obstacles with light 3D platforming.   a relaxing look and soundtrack.   was pretty good.  only took ~5 hours to play though and i don't think i would have wanted it to last longer.  would need to add combat to make it varied enough for a longer game.   the power-ups were pretty satisfying though.  i dash and warp mechanical were particularly well done.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

Finally played the Portal games. Not as hard as I expected but good games. I was hoping for it to be as clever as the Talos Principle but it's not close.

Legend

Finally played the Portal games. Not as hard as I expected but good games. I was hoping for it to be as clever as the Talos Principle but it's not close.
Puzzles are good but it's definitely the complete package that makes portal 2 so awesome.

the-pi-guy

It's the funny writing, fun physics and everything else that makes Portal great.

SWORDF1SH

Jan 23, 2023, 07:50 PM Last Edit: Jan 23, 2023, 07:52 PM by SWORDF1SH
Puzzles are good but it's definitely the complete package that makes portal 2 so awesome.
Agree

It's the funny writing, fun physics and everything else that makes Portal great.
And agree

Absolutely love Stephen Merchant's voice acting in it.

Legend

I've never actually played the first portal...

kitler53

the first portal was a better puzzle game.  what i didn't like about the second portal game was they heavily restricted which surfaces you could put a portal on.   taking away those degrees of freedom guided the player to the answer which is probably a good thing for all those main-stream non-puzzle gamers.  ...but for me it made the solution far too obvious to the point it was all about execution and not about thinking things though.  in the first game you had to think and one of the fun things was seeing the "expected" solution and then finding another even crazier solution that also worked.   the sequel had very few puzzles that could be solved in any way other than the intended solution.   

...but the writing in the second game.   dear god was the writing amazing.   

so yeah, overall the sequel was better.

SWORDF1SH

the first portal was a better puzzle game.  what i didn't like about the second portal game was they heavily restricted which surfaces you could put a portal on.   taking away those degrees of freedom guided the player to the answer which is probably a good thing for all those main-stream non-puzzle gamers.  ...but for me it made the solution far too obvious to the point it was all about execution and not about thinking things though.  in the first game you had to think and one of the fun things was seeing the "expected" solution and then finding another even crazier solution that also worked.   the sequel had very few puzzles that could be solved in any way other than the intended solution.  

...but the writing in the second game.   dear god was the writing amazing.  

so yeah, overall the sequel was better.
That's a good point. Also it seemed to snap your portals into certain positions and at the right orientation on some panels.

BananaKing

I've never actually played the first portal...
I've never actually played any portal game

Legend

A few hours into The Case of the Golden Idol. Not liking it that much but still having fun. Didn't expect it to be so rigidly structured. Makes it worse than Return of the Obra Din as a puzzle game imo.

Go fix that!

kitler53

That's a good point. Also it seemed to snap your portals into certain positions and at the right orientation on some panels.
you are not wrong. I noticed that too.

agree with legend.  certainly one of the best games ever created.  everyone should experience it. 

Legend

Finished The Case of the Golden Idol. Was ok.

I enjoyed my time with it but too much of the difficulty came from trying to figure out what the game wanted vs playing detective. Last level tripped me up but I beat the game without any hints. Maybe I need to find a lets play to see how the hint system would have worked.

Total bummer that the game wasn't more open.

SWORDF1SH

Jan 24, 2023, 09:06 PM Last Edit: Jan 24, 2023, 09:10 PM by SWORDF1SH
Finished The Case of the Golden Idol. Was ok.

I enjoyed my time with it but too much of the difficulty came from trying to figure out what the game wanted vs playing detective. Last level tripped me up but I beat the game without any hints. Maybe I need to find a lets play to see how the hint system would have worked.

Total bummer that the game wasn't more open.
I think there were a few instances where I filled out a section by using what I know and working out the rest by reading writing and filling in what makes sense. Felt like cheating.
The game does feel like all the evidence is there though and i it was fun working it out but it did fell like the game peaked after the first few chapters and then went downhill. The puzzles seem to get lazy at times.

I spoke to soon about Portal 2. I thought I was as the end when I last posted but there's been 2 more chapters.
Spoiler for Hidden:
A new game mechanic as been introduced with the gels. Doesn't make the game harder but a nice change. Also seeing a different side to GLaDOS.

Legend

I think there were a few instances where I filled out a section by using what I know and working out the rest by reading writing and filling in what makes sense. Felt like cheating.
The game does feel like all the evidence is there though and i it was fun working it out but it did fell like the game peaked after the first few chapters and then went downhill. The puzzles seem to get lazy at times.

I spoke to soon about Portal 2. I thought I was as the end when I last posted but there's been 2 more chapters.
Spoiler for Hidden:
A new game mechanic as been introduced with the gels. Doesn't make the game harder but a nice change. Also seeing a different side to GLaDOS.

How did you think you finished portal 2!?

The end of idol got a bit funky but I liked how info came back into play. I wish the whole game was cohesive like that.

kitler53

Spoiler for Hidden:

the end isn't even the end.  you haven't finished the game if you haven't played the extra coop levels.

Go Up