Recommend Me Some Games.

Started by kitler53, Mar 16, 2023, 08:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Mar 16, 2023, 08:42 PM Last Edit: Mar 16, 2023, 08:50 PM by kitler53
okay,

so you all are probably aware of this:
https://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=10027.msg281653#msg281653

to help me out in my decision making please recommend me some games.  The rules are:
1. the game is purchasable on steam
2. preferably the game is not on ps5
3. my main reason for considering a steam deck is to play while commuting so
 A. the game should be single player-able
 B. the game cannot require internet

That said my gaming preferences are:
- puzzle games
- metroidvanias
- platformers
- 2D / top down / or retro games in general.  
- for the form factor i'm not really looking for big story driven games like God of War.  i'll be playing in short bursts (~30 min at a time) so things that are "pick-up-and-play" are preferred for my primary use case.

Example Games I've really enjoyed portably (on vita):
- Stealth
- Super Meat Boy
- Knytt Underground
- Teslagrad
- Rayman Origins and Legends
- Retro City Rampage
- Dokuro

The spring sale is going so bonus points for games that are on sale.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I think we have some different tastes, but some things I would play on a SteamDeck:

Celeste
Castle Crashers
Halo
Portal
Undertale
World of Goo

kitler53

I think we have some different tastes, but some things I would play on a SteamDeck:

Celeste
Castle Crashers
Halo
Portal
Undertale
World of Goo

played:
world of goo: wii
portal: 360
castle crasher: PS5

backlog on PS5:
Celeste
Undertale 
...good recommendations though

no interest:
halo

Legend

You can play non steam games on steamdeck, just requires a few extra steps.

Papers please
Her Story
Event[0] (requires typing, not sure how that works on deck)
The case of the golden idol
Antichamber
The captain

kitler53

is papers please really any good?  i stumbled across it earlier and watched the video.  from the video it looks terrible.

added antichamber and event[0] to my wishlist.   it's listed as "playable".  "Entering some text requires manually invoking the on-screen keyboard".    not sure how much text entry is required but it could get annoying i suppose.

i remember you raving about her story.  i have "telling lies" downloaded to my ps5.   i know you said it wasn't as good but i figured it would be a good taster to if i like the type of game or not.

kitler53

oh, and also added these to my wishlist:

- Ori will of the wisps
- Ori and the blind forest
- portal bridge constructor (thought about it when Pi mentioned world of goo)
- stephen's sausage roll (i remember legend glowing about it)
- hi-fi rush
- baba is you

Legend

is papers please really any good?  i stumbled across it earlier and watched the video.  from the video it looks terrible.

added antichamber and event[0] to my wishlist.   it's listed as "playable".  "Entering some text requires manually invoking the on-screen keyboard".    not sure how much text entry is required but it could get annoying i suppose.

i remember you raving about her story.  i have "telling lies" downloaded to my ps5.   i know you said it wasn't as good but i figured it would be a good taster to if i like the type of game or not.
Papers please is pretty good yeah. Kinda an experimental game but it really pulls it off. Inspired a lot of copycats.

Event[0] requires a lot of text, but with a touch screen it could be fine. All the computers on the ship use freeform text entry and they're the main selling point of the game.

Telling Lies is a fine primer. Immortality is also a good primer but I disliked the gameplay in it.

oh, and also added these to my wishlist:

- Ori will of the wisps
- Ori and the blind forest
- portal bridge constructor (thought about it when Pi mentioned world of goo)
- stephen's sausage roll (i remember legend glowing about it)
- hi-fi rush
- baba is you

Portal bridge constructor was the first game I ever played on series x and I hated it lol

Stephen's sausage roll received a lot of praise from puzzle devs like Jonathon Blow, but I never finished it. I wrongly thought I had seen all the game had to show and I wasn't loving the puzzles so I quit.

Also for 10% off maybe I'll buy a deck too.

nnodley

Yeah I'm now really tempted as well to buy one

kitler53

lulz. I should get commission. 

nnodley

And if I can get epic games store on it too then that's even better. I have soooo many games on it that I got for free or some of their really good sales

Legend

lulz. I should get commission.
I've decided not to buy  :P
10% is a pretty small discount and I'd rather just buy it once I actually need it.

kitler53

welp.  it's official. 

I got the middle teir steam deck.  64 Gb seemed too small to even just install 1 modern AAA game.  games like destiny 2 are like 100 Gb these days.  still plan on getting an SD card eventually but not right away. 

for games:
I'm going to get emulation up and running to put my snes games on it.   might have a go at dolphin too. 

was actually pretty disappointed in game selection on steam.   never really grasped how many PC games aren't on steam like Diablo. I knew it but never really grasped it.  also a lot of games I looked at aren't supported by steam deck like sunset overdrive.  

ended up spending $40 including a lot of games I already own.  just felt like replaying them I guess and they were very cheap.  a few new titles though. 
- portal 1 and 2
- Valkyria Chronicles 1 and 4
- ori 1 and 2
- the room 1 and 2
- half life 2 plus episode 1 and 2
- super meat boy
- knytt underground
- pixel junk shooter ultimate
- dragon's dogma
- portal bridge constructor
- titan souls
- down well

+ (and it was free but I'm really excited for) the looker

Legend

I bought Infra and Cypher.

kitler53

I bought Infra and Cypher.
looks cool for you.  not sure I'd like it so much. 

kitler53

it's here!

i'm working so i'm not even going to turn it on but holy fudge is this this big.   i remember vita getting shame on all the time for not actually being "portable" because it would stick out the top of your back pocket and they'd just choose a phone instead.   well fuk,... this thing is like 4-5 vita's duck taped together.   i'm going to get a fuking purse to take this to work. 

Spoiler for Hidden:
i already have a man-purse

controls felt okay i guess.  should be good enough for must controller based games.   rocket league is the only game in which I "claw grip" and i can tell it ain't going to work out for me.  generally speaking the R/L2 feels good but the R/L1 does not.   it has a nice man-sized bump though so i can hold it much more comfortably than the switch.   i didn't realize it had buttons on the back-side until now.  I guess the L/R 4/5 could take the place of L/R 2 for me but i didn't find them particularly comfortable either.   maybe i'm just not used to having those kinds of buttons.