Portable Gaming Today

Started by kitler53, Feb 22, 2023, 10:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

darkknightkryta

wow.  an SSD for ps5 is less $ for twice the size as steam deck.  steam deck replacements are too expensive to make it worth it.
Just use an SD card.  Valve managed that game performance is the same from an SSD or SD card.  

With that said, get a Steamdeck.  I got a GPD Win 3 and I use it daily.  I'm actually at the point where I'll setup emulators for the Switch on it and use that instead of my acutal Switch.  I have a GPD Win 4 on the way whenever they get shipped out.  That will probably be my last handheld I'll be buying for the next 10 years.

kitler53

Feb 28, 2023, 02:38 PM Last Edit: Feb 28, 2023, 02:40 PM by kitler53
So did you decide to get something?
no decision so far.   my policy to go back to the office is supposed to kick in april 1st and with my kids situation i'm going to try and get an extention at least until summer,.. possibly start of next school year.   they communicated a policy for like 3 years now and the sudden change doesn't align with the fact i told my school/summer camps that I don't need morning child care.  it's too late for the school year and we're not sure yet about the summer camps.

since i will only be using it for commutes into work i'm going to delay any decision as long as possible.   specifically i'm waiting to see if any news on switch's successor comes out before i need to make a decision.   

Just use an SD card.  Valve managed that game performance is the same from an SSD or SD card.  

With that said, get a Steamdeck.  I got a GPD Win 3 and I use it daily.  I'm actually at the point where I'll setup emulators for the Switch on it and use that instead of my acutal Switch.  I have a GPD Win 4 on the way whenever they get shipped out.  That will probably be my last handheld I'll be buying for the next 10 years.
so the gimped the SSD so function as shittily as a SD?

if i had to buy something specifically today i'd probably get a steamdeck.   ...but what is this about emulating switch?  that's a thing??

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

so the gimped the SSD so function as shittily as a SD?

if i had to buy something specifically today i'd probably get a steamdeck.   ...but what is this about emulating switch?  that's a thing??
Nah, but most PC games don't take advantage of the SSD.

So like 98% of the time, there's not much of a difference.

There is an emulator, but it's a work in progress. Might be able to play some games on it, but you're not going to be replacing a Switch with a SteamDeck any time soon

darkknightkryta

Nah, but most PC games don't take advantage of the SSD.

So like 98% of the time, there's not much of a difference.

There is an emulator, but it's a work in progress. Might be able to play some games on it, but you're not going to be replacing a Switch with a SteamDeck any time soon
I'm sure they're closer now?  Last time I tried it was with Metroid.  The cutscenes weren't playing, but the game itself played exactly from beginning to end.  

Legend

Maybe you should start claiming free games from epic. They're playable on steam deck and next week is Call of the Sea, an ok puzzle game.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

i was going to post that but i couldn't find the thread.

...defiantly puts a wrench in my plans to wait at long as possible to make a decision.   $40 is $40 and i don't expect a better price towards the end of the year.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up