Tabata Resigns following canceled projects

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 08, 2018, 05:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20181107_01en.pdf

The cause and nature of the extraordinary loss
Having conducted an in-depth review of the business strategy for Luminous Productions Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary (the "Subsidiary"), the Company had decided to focus the Subsidiary's development efforts on large-scale, high-quality AAA game titles, which best leverages the Subsidiary's strengths.
This decision has resulted in the booking of an extraordinary loss amounting to 3,733 million yen, including the disposition of the portion of the content production account related to the game titles under development at the Subsidiary and impairment losses on intangible assets, in the Company's financial results for the six-month period ended September 30, 2018.
ResetEra Thread

Luminous Productions made FFXV, Luminous Engine.  

Tabata Resigns:

ResetEra Thread

Thought this deserved a thread.

Legend

Yeah definitely deserves a thread. Crazy.

Xevross

Nov 08, 2018, 05:38 PM Last Edit: Nov 08, 2018, 05:48 PM by Xevross
F

Edit: oh I had no idea they announced a FFXV stream to talk about DLC and this is what happened. Why the fudge would they do that to their fans??? What a mess.

darkknightkryta

F

Edit: oh I had no idea they announced a FFXV stream to talk about DLC and this is what happened. Why the fudge would they do that to their fans??? What a mess.
I would like to think some manager at Square did it to humiliate Tabata.  But the running theory is that Tabata walked on his own accord back in the summer.  The suspicion is that his game was getting cancelled so everyone in the company could work on Final Fantasy 7.  Why the company thinks doing this a 4th time is a good idea is beyond me.

Xevross

I would like to think some manager at Square did it to humiliate Tabata.  But the running theory is that Tabata walked on his own accord back in the summer.  The suspicion is that his game was getting cancelled so everyone in the company could work on Final Fantasy 7.  Why the company thinks doing this a 4th time is a good idea is beyond me.
Lol this whole thing is the most Square Enix shame I've ever heard.

Benji is saying their game was looking great though, but maybe he's wrong.

darkknightkryta

Lol this whole thing is the most Square Enix shame I've ever heard.

Benji is saying their game was looking great though, but maybe he's wrong.
Depends.  I would assume Benji is closer to retail side of things, since it appears most of his statements are focused around there (I think?)  Would he have access to a pre-production version of a game that's been in development for what, 5 months tops?  I can't even see the team being anywhere far enough outside of concept and art sketches.  Which makes the 33 million dollar figure more alarming.  So I doubt it would have looked great since I don't believe it would have gotten out of very ugly looking demos and very nice looking art concepts.

BananaKing

4 times?

darkknightkryta

4 times?
Final Fantasy 13, Final Fantasy 14, Final Fantasy 15.  Those  3 games had the entire company working on them.  It looks like they're gearing up to do the same for Final Fantasy 7, which will be the fourth time.

Xevross

Depends.  I would assume Benji is closer to retail side of things, since it appears most of his statements are focused around there (I think?)  Would he have access to a pre-production version of a game that's been in development for what, 5 months tops?  I can't even see the team being anywhere far enough outside of concept and art sketches.  Which makes the 33 million dollar figure more alarming.  So I doubt it would have looked great since I don't believe it would have gotten out of very ugly looking demos and very nice looking art concepts.
Well he's speaking like he knows the project, says people would have been excited about it and he hopes they're continuing it anyway. Pretty sure he said its been in dev for over a year.

BananaKing

Final Fantasy 13, Final Fantasy 14, Final Fantasy 15.  Those  3 games had the entire company working on them.  It looks like they're gearing up to do the same for Final Fantasy 7, which will be the fourth time.
Man square enix is do do disorganized that it really annoys me even though I don't play their games. I can't imagine how it would feel if I was a fan of them.

Japanese devs and publishers have really dropped the ball this gen. Western publishers are in a much stronger position than they are now.

darkknightkryta

Well he's speaking like he knows the project, says people would have been excited about it and he hopes they're continuing it anyway. Pretty sure he said its been in dev for over a year.
But how if Luminous was made 6 months ago?  Tabata would most likely have been busy with post content for a while.  He might have had concept and maybe even prototypes ready, but production would have started with his new studio.  Which was still working on DLC pretty much until now.

Legend

So no ff vr thing?

the-pi-guy

Legend

Was there supposed to be?
Oh the fish thing already released. Guess I missed that.

the-pi-guy

Luminous Productions (SE) working on a new AAA Title for the PS5 | ResetEra

According to Tomohiro Tokoro (Luminous 3D Character Model Lead Artist) linkedin:

(​IMG)

https://jp.linkedin.com/in/tomohiro-tokoro-942a3457/ja