"Collecting Dust" is a strange idiom for gaming

Started by kitler53, Jun 22, 2022, 04:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

I hear this often, "my pc/nintendo/xbox/playstation has been collecting dust" as a way to say it has no games.  I find this strange.  I use my ps5 literally every day i'm in my home.  sometime, thanks to remote play, i even use my ps5 when i'm not in my home.   it gets a lot of use.  however, i can assure you my ps5 still collects a lot of dust.  I have dust allergies so i'm pretty sensitive to the need to clean it frequently to keep the dust levels low.  i literally just dusted my ps5 a few minutes ago despite having watched 2 episodes of deep space nine last night and played a bit of humans fall flat over my lunch hour.  

this idiom needs to be retired with respect to gaming.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Xbox blows air out from the top, so it might be the first system to actually not collect dust if you play it often.

kitler53

Xbox blows air out from the top, so it might be the first system to actually not collect dust if you play it often.
only in the vertical configuration.  i would not be able to fit an xbox in my gaming area vertically configured.  dust would still be collected.   ironically, depending on which way it blows it may be possible for an xbox to keep my ps5 dust free.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I mean it's an old phrase that is used in similar contexts. The idiom happens to break because consoles have fans that collect dust while running.

darkknightkryta

I cleaned all my old consoles recently so at least those are dust free....