How long till real time TV/Movie content "adjusters" are common?

Started by Legend, Jun 21, 2022, 07:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Right now it's nightmare fuel and takes a few minutes just for an imaginary frame. In 20 years however maybe your TV could in real time swap out actors, change languages, censor gore, etc.

That'll be an incredible future with some scary repercussions. Authoritarian societies could mandate this software in a similar way to China's great firewall.

the-pi-guy

This has been a weird dream of mine for a long time, at least in a way.  

I've always thought it'd be cool if television could be dynamic, by letting viewers make individual choices. Swapping out actors, languages, entire story lines eventually.  

Games felt like a better avenue for what I wanted, but it already seems like it's in the cards for TV/movies. Way sooner than I could have imagined.  

But, as the thread premise mentions it seems more likely that it won't be used that way, especially in the shorter term.  

kitler53

This has been a weird dream of mine for a long time, at least in a way.  

I've always thought it'd be cool if television could be dynamic, by letting viewers make individual choices. Swapping out actors, languages, entire story lines eventually.  

Games felt like a better avenue for what I wanted, but it already seems like it's in the cards for TV/movies. Way sooner than I could have imagined.  

But, as the thread premise mentions it seems more likely that it won't be used that way, especially in the shorter term.  
netflix is already doing that.  if you haven't tried one of their interactive movies try it out.  you'll quickly realize that it sucks dog and tv is much better when you're being told a carefully crafted story instead of pausing the show every few minutes to ask the viewer what they'd like to see.

i feel like for it to work the choices should only come once every 30 minutes at the episode breaks for major decisions to episodic cliff hangers.  ...or just go play until dawn.   the once every 2 minute choice timeframe is too infrequent to feel like i'm in control and too frequent to not feel like i'm being pestered by the show.  i'd liken it to my hatred for quick time events.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

netflix is already doing that.  if you haven't tried one of their interactive movies try it out.  you'll quickly realize that it sucks dog and tv is much better when you're being told a carefully crafted story instead of pausing the show every few minutes to ask the viewer what they'd like to see.
That's not quite what I have in mind. The kind of thing I'm thinking of is still decades away.  

kitler53

That's not quite what I have in mind. The kind of thing I'm thinking of is still decades away.  
do explain?   ...because as described Netflix is doing exactly that.  you can make individual choices and they affect the story line.   

what technology can change the core mechanics that Netflix has already experimented with?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens