Games that almost feel like sequels to completely unrelated games

Started by the-pi-guy, Jun 18, 2022, 04:46 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

There are lots of spiritual successors like
Demon's Souls -> Dark Souls, (this one feels too close to really count almost though)
System Shock -> Bioshock. (Never played System Shock so I can't comment too much on it.)

I want to talk about a wild one though.

Jak and Daxter -> Mass Effect

I've often thought about Jak and Daxter leading to Jak II/Jak 3 leading to Uncharted, but Mass Effect has a few more similarities to Jak and Daxter.
Spoiler for first game:
<br>The first game similarities are more about the lore. <br><br>In both Mass Effect and Jak and Daxter there is this ancient civilization that has left behind strange advanced technology. Precursors/Protheans. <br>

Don't read this until you've played the latter games!
Spoiler for Jak II+3:
<br><br>The similarities become more prevalent in the latter games. <br>Jak becomes more of a third person shooter than a strict platformer. <br>Not to mention there are similar vehicle mechanics between Mass Effect 1 and Jak 3.<br><br>There is a corrupted branch of Precursors in the latter games that play a similar role to the Reapers in Mass Effect. <br>Not to mention there are characters that similarly become corrupted, and also let themselves be altered by the antagonists. &nbsp;<br>

Lots of fun little similarities between the two games.

kitler53

nms --->  starfield

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I guess it's about time I play Jak 2 and 3 so I can read your spoiler.

the-pi-guy

I guess it's about time I play Jak 2 and 3 so I can read your spoiler.
Sorry!
There are like a dozen funny similarities with the gameplay, story and the lore.