Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade; states can ban abortion

Started by Legend, Jun 24, 2022, 02:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

kitler53

There are situation in which a pregnancy is a fatal condition for a women.    i have a friend who had such a condition.   she was already a mother of two.   she got pregnant because she wanted a third child.   she aborted anyways because without it she would have died.   after her abortion she got pregnant again and that pregnancy was successful.

The laws being written in republican held states would have murdered her.  The laws being written in republican state would have orphaned her two children.

republicans are not pro-life,.. they are anti-abortion.  a pregnancy consists of two lives intertwined.  republicans have no respect for the life of the women.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

It shouldn't be a black or white subject. Personally I feel abortions should be banned unless it's a case like kitler mentioned or rape victims.

kitler53

Jun 24, 2022, 04:03 PM Last Edit: Jun 24, 2022, 06:12 PM by kitler53
It shouldn't be a black or white subject. Personally I feel abortions should be banned unless it's a case like kitler mentioned or rape victims.
despite my very liberal politics in most places i do consider myself "pro-life".    "choice" comes with "consequences" and if you're having naughtiness than you might get pregnant.   the fetus (without human intervention) would grow into an adult human being and ending that does not feel particularly moral.

however, as i mentioned above, it's not just one life it is two intertwined.   i firmly believe that the life of the adult women is worth more than the unconscious clump of cells growing into a human.   in situations where the women's life is endangered i think the only opinion that should be respected is the opinion of the women's.  even if the odds of death is low-ish (like 25%) no one in government should should be able to tell the women she is mandated to die to give a fetus a chance at life.   that (to me) is more immoral than a thousand abortions.

I also think rape needs to be an exception.   what i said before is i believe "choice" comes with " consequences" but getting raped is not the women's choice and she shouldn't bare the consequences of that crime.  it's like punishing her twice.    ...by not having the exception for rape men may feel be motivated to rape women solely to satisfy their desire to breed a women.   our laws should not entice men to commit crimes.

but i don't think abortion should take the place of "birth control".    pregnancy may not always be planned or desired but the "choice" occurs before or during naughtiness not 20 weeks into a pregnancy.   in life you often time have to deal with undesirable consequences and ending the fetuses life because you  made a mistake is not moral to me.

i especially don't like pregnancies being ended because the fetus is determined to have downs syndrome.  raising a kid with downs syndrome is not as easy but we wouldn't allow an adult with downs syndrome to be murdered.   i don't see the difference between murdering an adult and aborting a fetus when the motivation is knowing that condition exists.

kitler53

in short i wish democrats' would focus on the need to protect abortion for the conditions of rape and women's life.   these exceptions are extraordinarily popular with Americans but the "no restrictions in any scenario ever" policy is not popular at all.

republicans and democrats have taken polar opposite positions that are both very extreme.   according to survey the most popular policy position is the compromised middle ground policy where abortion is both restricted in some situations and protected for the important situations.   

i really think democrats could win elections big on taking that middle ground stance but instead they'll keep their extremists to the opposite view that will leave very few voters excited about their policy.  the few that are won't be as motivated as the anti-abortionists on the right and we'll end up with no abortion allowed anywhere in America (mark my words republicans will pass federal law as soon as they take control of the house/senate again) in any scenario and women in America will die because of it.

SWORDF1SH

nnodley

yeah thats pretty much my thoughts 100%