Mass Effect Series |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, May 16, 2022, 02:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

So I'll say it:
Mass Effect is my favorite trilogy of the PS3 era. Definitely tops Uncharted for me:
Mass Effect 1 is better than Uncharted 1.
But Uncharted 2 is better than ME2 (But it's darn close).
Mass Effect 3 is better than Uncharted 3.

Legend

So I'll say it:
Mass Effect is my favorite trilogy of the PS3 era. Definitely tops Uncharted for me:
Mass Effect 1 is better than Uncharted 1.
But Uncharted 2 is better than ME2 (But it's darn close).
Mass Effect 3 is better than Uncharted 3.
Nice.

Who was your favorite character? What did your shepard look like? I made a really funky dude.

the-pi-guy

Nice.

Who was your favorite character? What did your shepard look like? I made a really funky dude.
Well... I am not actually that far through Mass Effect 3, maybe a third of the way. I was talking to Xev, and I've been thinking that I'm enjoying this a lot more than I enjoyed Uncharted 3 the first time. Even if it goes downhill from here, the first third has been great to play.

Tali and Garrus have been my favorites.
Im playing with Jane Shepherd, didn't go crazy with customizations.

the-pi-guy

Mass Effect 3 is a good step up in terms of third person shooter mechanics.
It's a bizarre step down in terms of UX. A lot of the lessons from Mass Effect 1 to 2 are lost.  The quest "log" doesn't seem to tell you anything.

Legend

I started the first Mass Effect. It's very strange playing it and learning so much. I pretty much avoided all spoilers that weren't in 2, 3, or Andromeda.

Great sci fi so far that seems to be downgraded in later games.

the-pi-guy

I started the first Mass Effect. It's very strange playing it and learning so much. I pretty much avoided all spoilers that weren't in 2, 3, or Andromeda.

Great sci fi so far that seems to be downgraded in later games.
You never played the first game?

the-pi-guy

It's kind of weird to me.
It feels like Mass Effect 1 is more of a straight sci-fi game. You get futuristic guns that recharge.

Mass Effect 2 though introduces Powers, which they argue is tech, but it kind of feels more like magic.  Makes the latter games feel more like sci fantasy.

Legend

You never played the first game?
Nope. Started with 2.

With Uncharted I also started with 2, but I bought the first game a few years yater. No idea why but the first mass effect always felt like something I could ignore.

the-pi-guy

Well that was just infuriating.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>ME3 only gave an option of killing the geth or killing the quarians. <br><br>Losing an hour worth of progress. <br>

Legend

Spoiler for Hidden:

ME3 only gave an option of killing the geth or killing the quarians.

Losing an hour worth of progress.

I remember doing that too. Was pretty frustrating.

I'm hopeful that one day we'll look back at modern dialogue choices in the same way we look back at Dragon Lair's quick time events. It's esoteric game design, just hoping your understanding of the consequences aligned with the dev's understanding of the consequences.

the-pi-guy

I remember doing that too. Was pretty frustrating.

I'm hopeful that one day we'll look back at modern dialogue choices in the same way we look back at Dragon Lair's quick time events. It's esoteric game design, just hoping your understanding of the consequences aligned with the dev's understanding of the consequences.
It's kind of cool that these choices can have such an impact in the game.  
But it's also very frustrating.

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I also kind of think choices work best when they are choices a player would make.  

the-pi-guy

My dumbest complaint about ME3:

When you make choices in the game you regularly get people for your army.

My problem is the numbers. We have a massive galactic scale war, with planets that we know have billions of people. Yet some of the alien species are offering like 100 people or less.

Its a silly problem. I don't see a reason why they couldn't just multiply by 1,000 and call it a day.

the-pi-guy

Spoiler for Hidden:

ME3 only gave an option of killing the geth or killing the quarians.

Losing an hour worth of progress.

A week later and I get to try it again.

Go Up