The TV |OT|

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 10, 2021, 01:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Mom went with samsung qn90a. Once she got to the store she really became hooked on brightness over all other features (she has poor night vision so an oled demo wowed her).

the-pi-guy

Mom went with samsung qn90a. Once she got to the store she really became hooked on brightness over all other features (she has poor night vision so an oled demo wowed her).
Nice.  

A good bit pricier than the X90J, but definitely a better TV.

Legend

Nice.  

A good bit pricier than the X90J, but definitely a better TV.
It was on sale while the x90j was not, so it wasn't too bad.

Has some discoloration along the left edge where the protective foam was. Hopefully that is just temporary.

Pretty funny though is that the remote has a solar panel on it.

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

PS5 next

BananaKing

I dont understand why VRR has taken Sony so long

the-pi-guy

The A95K TV is apparently incredible.  

darkknightkryta

I dont understand why VRR has taken Sony so long
From what I understand; VRR doesn't work to well on most media chips.  Even LGs implementation has issues.  Sony's engineers probably felt they needed to finess it a lot to not lose image quality.  We'll find out soon if that's the case.

the-pi-guy

Local dimming is funny.

The high setting I would say has more in common with the off setting in terms of appearance. Largely because the blooming is the big thing that I notice for the low/medium settings.

It seems like it's an all or nothing kind of thing.

the-pi-guy

Samsung's QD-OLED is using some cheats.

Basically set up to measure accurately in the windows that reviewers usually use, while sacrificing accuracy everywhere else to make the picture pop.

Legend

Samsung's QD-OLED is using some cheats.

Basically set up to measure accurately in the windows that reviewers usually use, while sacrificing accuracy everywhere else to make the picture pop.
Interesting. I never bother calibrating so I hope the trend he talks about at the end doesn't get worse.

the-pi-guy

Apparently Sony added support for local dimming while VRR is on:

Firmware update to v6.5929 | Sony USA

Bigly if true.

the-pi-guy

Not exactly sure what happened, but pretty sure my kids damaged our TV.

At least it's very minor.

There's a very small dent, basically only shows up as a white dot, only visible when the screen is dark. And it's like 2 pixels wide. Which is pretty small on a 4k screen.

Legend

Not exactly sure what happened, but pretty sure my kids damaged our TV.

At least it's very minor.

There's a very small dent, basically only shows up as a white dot, only visible when the screen is dark. And it's like 2 pixels wide. Which is pretty small on a 4k screen.
Oops. Is it still under warranty?

the-pi-guy

Oops. Is it still under warranty?
Pretty sure it is, but I'm not sure I want to bother. *shrugs*

Go Up