PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

MS to buy steam soon?
Honestly it would be the biggest acquisition they could make. Steam is massive, and they would own the PC market. They would effectively have the PC and xbox markets.

kitler53

Honestly it would be the biggest acquisition they could make. Steam is massive, and they would own the PC market. They would effectively have the PC and xbox markets.

steam is private no?   i've always gotten the feeling gabe view himself as fighting against MS.  i kind of doubt he'd sell to MS at any price.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

steam is private no?   i've always gotten the feeling gabe view himself as fighting against MS.  i kind of doubt he'd sell to MS at any price.
Right.

Gabe does not like closed platforms. There's a reason why Valve is pushing Linux, and making their own open handheld.

SWORDF1SH

I need recommendations for a good puzzle game.  Something similar to The Witness, Myst, The Talos Principle etc. I especially like games that involve a lot of exploring with no combat. Just want a peaceful exploration game with puzzles.

kitler53

May 22, 2022, 12:31 PM Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:30 PM by kitler53
obduction was good.  not as peaceful as the others but no combat.

there aren't too many "open world" puzzle games like this so I'm not sure what to recommend.

the Turing test, manifold garden were good.  those are structured more like portal though so not really any exploration.

the Talos principle had an amazing dlc expansion if you haven't picked that up.

I have my eyes on a monsters expedition.   it was just featured on a psblog post as coming soon but I think it's out on PC already.  I can't personally recommend yet but reviews were good.

just did a Google search for "open world puzzle games"...   well you probably already know it but fez is fits the bill and is one of the greatest puzzle games ever.  

the swapper came up.  I don't think of it as open but it is one of my personal favorite puzzle games. 

Legend

I need recommendations for a good puzzle game.  Something similar to The Witness, Myst, The Talos Principle etc. I especially like games that involve a lot of exploring with no combat. Just want a peaceful exploration game with puzzles.
Return of the Obra Dinn could be what you're looking for. It's a very very small open world.

Outer Wilds is also amazing. Big open world where you are left alone to figure out what the heck is happening.

Not sure if those are the types of puzzles you're looking for though.

Riven is great and better than myst if you have yet to play it. I've also heard great things about Tunic but it has combat.

SWORDF1SH

May 22, 2022, 05:50 PM Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:52 PM by SWORDF1SH
Thanks for the suggestions. Riven and Obduction look cool. I have already played The Turing Test and Manifold Garden and enjoyed both thoroughly.

I'll also check out Outer Wilds.

darkknightkryta

Baba is you?

SWORDF1SH

May 24, 2022, 11:17 PM Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:19 PM by SWORDF1SH
Baba is you?
If this is like Dizzy, I'm all in.

So I bought Obduction. About an hour in and loving it. Nice suggestion.

the-pi-guy

Jul 22, 2022, 12:01 AM Last Edit: Jul 22, 2022, 12:02 AM by the-pi-guy
I upgraded to Windows 11 a while ago.

It's mostly fine.

So far my complaints are:
- I am not sure where to troubleshoot the internet
- for some reason to change the name of a file, was placed in a sub menu.
- the new paint app, is way too white.

r/Windows11 - Opinion about the new Paint app in Windows 11?

And actually the header on my version looks white than the image here shows

How to use Microsoft Paint in Windows 11

Better example^

Legend

Only took 2 and a half years but I finally set my ram to the correct clockspeed. Was 2133, now 3200.

I upgraded to Windows 11 a while ago.

It's mostly fine.

So far my complaints are:
- I am not sure where to troubleshoot the internet
- for some reason to change the name of a file, was placed in a sub menu.
- the new paint app, is way too white.

r/Windows11 - Opinion about the new Paint app in Windows 11?

And actually the header on my version looks white than the image here shows

How to use Microsoft Paint in Windows 11

Better example^
I don't see it...

the-pi-guy

Dec 31, 2022, 01:28 AM Last Edit: Dec 31, 2022, 01:37 AM by the-pi-guy
Both of my drives (DVD and Blu-ray drive) seem to be failing in one sense or the other

Blu ray drive still reads DVDs just fine, but I was having trouble reading a brand new Blu-ray of Avatar. Still kind of working, but not very well.  

The DVD drive was even worse. Immediately ejects any disc, asking for me to insert a disc. Seems to think a disc is some kind of foreign object or something.  

Kind of feel like the drives were tampered with, by a certain toddler...  

Replaced the DVD drive with a new Blu ray drive. Seems to be reading Avatar just fine now.  

On a related topic it is weird how difficult it is to play a Blu-ray on windows.

VLC Media Player, which is pretty proud of being able to play pretty much everything, requires a lot to play Blu-ray discs. Like 7 steps of adding different files to different locations.

Legend

On a related topic it is weird how difficult it is to play a Blu-ray on windows.

VLC Media Player, which is pretty proud of being able to play pretty much everything, requires a lot to play Blu-ray discs. Like 7 steps of adding different files to different locations.
Wouldn't have expected that.

Bluray is even older than digital netflix!

Legend

Anyone else annoyed with constant forced windows updates? You can just pause them indefinitely regardless of what windows says. I had my computer stay "on" for a couple months while I did a dev sprint and it worked just fine.

kitler53

i hate them more on my ipad.   it's (really) old and updating will brick it.  yet over and over and over and over again it will redownload the 1+ Gb on an 8 Gb device to try and make it easy to update the OS forcing me to redelete the update file over and over and over and over again so that i can use the device.

Go Up