The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

Was disappointed by this footage. Maybe it's just for the trailer but they talk too much and make the puzzles sound boring.
looks good to me.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

That's good! Not a fan of tencent but this should stop Ubisoft from being sold in its entirety.

BananaKing

That's good! Not a fan of tencent but this should stop Ubisoft from being sold in its entirety.
Yeah I think this will stop ubisoft from selling to another big company.

Now EA and Take 2 need to ge secured from MS somehow

Legend

Sep 27, 2022, 08:07 PM Last Edit: Sep 27, 2022, 08:37 PM by Legend
looks good to me.
Demo The Entropy Centre on Steam

edt: played 30 minutes. Don't like the early puzzles but the overall experience has potential. Gonna hold off for the finished game.

the-pi-guy

Oct 06, 2022, 10:41 PM Last Edit: Oct 06, 2022, 11:40 PM by the-pi-guy
If anyone wants to lose some brain cells.

So basically, the whole thing is a scam regarding "hard drives";

These are literally a pointless technology, that don't really serve a purpose.

Physical media has the capacity on its own to support all data needs.

There's no such thing as needing a hard drive for storage capacity.
Big long post on Era. Here's the first few paragraphs.

Legend

Boy did you under sell it.

Although he is right about the off planet warehouse. That's why Apollo improved our tech.

the-pi-guy

Boy did you under sell it.
I think regardless of what I would have said, it would have been underselling it.  

Short of posting the whole thing here, at least.

darkknightkryta

WTF did I just read?

And I only read 4 of his bullet points....

the-pi-guy

Facebook poached every VR engineer they could get their hands on, and had been making an obscene number of acquisitions of VR developers until the FTC stepped in a few months ago and started suing to block the deals.

All towards the purpose of locking down these developers in Non-Compete contracts to deny other companies access to their skills, such as Valve and Sony, which stunted their momentum and drove up costs for a solid few years there.

Unfortunately for Facebook though, there's just one problem: Now you have to pay all these engineers and developers now with the salaries you promised them to get them to leave Valve/Sony/Whatever company they were at that was developing VR solutions.

That's where the Billions are going: The salaries of all the VR developers they poached for purely Anticompetitive reasons.
As a head of engineering of a startup that works with VR, I can verify this. Had multiple people who "accepted" offers from us, only to then at the last minute get completely outbid by Meta.

Anecdote from ResetEra

But I believe it, frankly

Legend

As a head of engineering of a startup that works with VR, I can verify this. Had multiple people who "accepted" offers from us, only to then at the last minute get completely outbid by Meta.

Anecdote from ResetEra

But I believe it, frankly
I could see them using that strategy, but does it really explain anything? All development money would be going towards salaries either way. Even if these engineers and devs were hired without a long term plan, proper management should be able to get proper results from them.

nnodley

So I've been testing out Unreal 5.1.  It has nanite capability for foliage now.  I just painted maybe 7k to 8k full detailed trees with like 20k triangles each.  Runs on high settings with Epic shadows at around 40fps.  Thats like 150million or more triangles from the foliage.

Thats gonna be a straight gamechanger as they continue to optimize nanite for foliage.

If i did that on 5.0 i would have likely crashed or ran sub 5fps.

I'm running on a 2080 TI as well.

Legend

So I've been testing out Unreal 5.1.  It has nanite capability for foliage now.  I just painted maybe 7k to 8k full detailed trees with like 20k triangles each.  Runs on high settings with Epic shadows at around 40fps.  Thats like 150million or more triangles from the foliage.

Thats gonna be a straight gamechanger as they continue to optimize nanite for foliage.

If i did that on 5.0 i would have likely crashed or ran sub 5fps.

I'm running on a 2080 TI as well.
How does nanite work with foliage from a technical pov?

nnodley

How does nanite work with foliage from a technical pov?
Honestly I have no idea. I'm assuming it's working pretty much the same way as on normal meshes except now it works with transparency. Which I still don't really understand.

Just that's it's virtualized geo and that it's pretty amazing

Legend

the-pi-guy

Go Up