The Gaming Community Thread! Multiplats and the like are welcome.

Started by Legend, Apr 23, 2015, 01:12 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Another screen.  Got some foliage going in finally!!!

We wanna see the buildings!

Spoiler for Hidden:
Haha I know how annoying comments like this can be.<br><br>My actual feedback is that it looks good and a little bit of animal life could splash it up. Something makes me expect to see a crab on the beach or something else in this shallow calm water.

nnodley

We wanna see the buildings!

Spoiler for Hidden:
Haha I know how annoying comments like this can be.

My actual feedback is that it looks good and a little bit of animal life could splash it up. Something makes me expect to see a crab on the beach or something else in this shallow calm water.

heh. yeah the buildings just are the most basic part so far.  Just got the basic shapes and ideas of them.  i'll grab some up close stuff of them and post later.

And right.  a lot of that will come as i polish up.  I just bought a pack of really good tropical rain forest plants so now i don't have to worry about building those and can really focus on getting going on the things the player can do.  Which isn't a lot and isn't really that complex, but still needs fleshed out and make work.

nnodley

Legend

Nice. The repeating design elements are intriguing.

Is the scale absolutely massive or did the REDACTED get smaller?

nnodley

Nice. The repeating design elements are intriguing.

Is the scale absolutely massive or did the REDACTED get smaller?
The scale is a little bit bigger. I wanted the buildings to have a little more of a grand feeling. Kinda like the species that created them were a somewhat larger than humans. But still feel like a good scale for a human to walk up to. It's also not our "earth" but an alternate one to give me a little more freedom

Legend

The scale is a little bit bigger. I wanted the buildings to have a little more of a grand feeling. Kinda like the species that created them were a somewhat larger than humans. But still feel like a good scale for a human to walk up to. It's also not our "earth" but an alternate one to give me a little more freedom
Just make sure there is a run button haha. Walking is fun the first time but slow backtracking is lame. In Hapax I'm as hard sci fi as possible but the player can sprint forever at world record speed.

Have you done a lot of work on the "builders?"

nnodley

Just make sure there is a run button haha. Walking is fun the first time but slow backtracking is lame. In Hapax I'm as hard sci fi as possible but the player can sprint forever at world record speed.

Have you done a lot of work on the "builders?"
Yeah I'll have a sprint. Lol

And not really in terms of culture and their design

There are pedestals that can be activated that will have VO. Idea is the pedestals are connected to a single DiForms subconscious while they are in cryostasis. So they are essentially talking to the player in real time.  So you will get a little background info on them and the reason they went into cryostasis.

I'm trying to get away from having to dive too far into how their way of life was just in case I for some reason can't or don't continue with other games.  Give players enough to intrigue them and come back for more in the future hopefully

This one has a hard ending but is open for more games if possible.

Legend

Yeah I'll have a sprint. Lol

And not really in terms of culture and their design

There are pedestals that can be activated that will have VO. Idea is the pedestals are connected to a single DiForms subconscious while they are in cryostasis. So they are essentially talking to the player in real time.  So you will get a little background info on them and the reason they went into cryostasis.

I'm trying to get away from having to dive too far into how their way of life was just in case I for some reason can't or don't continue with other games.  Give players enough to intrigue them and come back for more in the future hopefully

This one has a hard ending but is open for more games if possible.
From a budget perspective, how do you plan to handle a bunch of individual voices? As a player I'd probably just think I was talking to the same DiForm over and over unless it was really obvious. Also I'd probably think I was just listening to recordings.

Smart planning on leaving stuff for potential sequels. Plus no one likes lore dumps. Teasing a bigger world can often be better than directly explaining it.

nnodley

Apr 28, 2022, 05:38 PM Last Edit: Apr 28, 2022, 05:48 PM by nnodley
From a budget perspective, how do you plan to handle a bunch of individual voices? As a player I'd probably just think I was talking to the same DiForm over and over unless it was really obvious. Also I'd probably think I was just listening to recordings.

Smart planning on leaving stuff for potential sequels. Plus no one likes lore dumps. Teasing a bigger world can often be better than directly explaining it.
my budget is amazon polly. lmao

I've done some tests and it works and sounds great.  And yes i should clarify, the pedestals in this game are all just connecting to a singular DiForm so it will sound the same each time.

and also yeah i don't know how to make the player know that its not just a recording.  But in the end I might just leave it like that.

Legend

my budget is amazon polly. lmao

I've done some tests and it works and sounds great.  And yes i should clarify, the pedestals in this game are all just connecting to a singular DiForm so it will sound the same each time.

and also yeah i don't know how to make the player know that its not just a recording.  But in the end I might just leave it like that.
Wow that brings back memories. Back in 2013, gulp  :-\ , I was using speech synthesis for VizionEck Hapax. No clue which software I used but I did a lot of post processing to get a tortured robotic voice. Also I played distorted audio saying "jump" every time you jumped lol.

Any sort of interaction with the player could do the trick, even if it's just a simple remark on how much progress the player has made or what the DiForm expects the player to do. Very minor but something I've personally misunderstood in other games.

nnodley

Wow that brings back memories. Back in 2013, gulp  :-\ , I was using speech synthesis for VizionEck Hapax. No clue which software I used but I did a lot of post processing to get a tortured robotic voice. Also I played distorted audio saying "jump" every time you jumped lol.

Any sort of interaction with the player could do the trick, even if it's just a simple remark on how much progress the player has made or what the DiForm expects the player to do. Very minor but something I've personally misunderstood in other games.
Lol that audio is hilarious.  Amazon polly is great for just getting a fairly natural sounding person.  And then i just run it through some filters in Audacity and it sounds pretty much like an actual person recorded it.

nnodley

here is one of my quick tests i did a few months ago

Legend

here is one of my quick tests i did a few months ago
It took a lot of repeat listening for my brain to figure out the sound patterns and separate the background. At first it was fully inaudible, and I still can't make out what private thing they retreated to.

With subtitles though I think it'd be good.

nnodley

It took a lot of repeat listening for my brain to figure out the sound patterns and separate the background. At first it was fully inaudible, and I still can't make out what private thing they retreated to.

With subtitles though I think it'd be good.
that was just a quick test i did. Maybe its because i know what its suppose to say so i don't fully understand it being inaudible to you.  But its not final anyway so i'll be tweaking and finding what works best.  And it just says they retreated into a cryo-stasis.  Nothing special.  8)

the-pi-guy

Most of it I thought was understandable, there were some bits I couldn't though.

Go Up