America has once again landed on the Moon, sideways and first pics from lander!

Started by Legend, Feb 22, 2024, 05:37 AM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Legend

Legend

something is alive on the lander at the least. Maybe a harsh landing, maybe everything is fine. No one knows

Legend

celebration time!!!! Might be rough but we landed on the Moon!!!!

Legend

Ballast sounds prerecorded. Don't know if it was an ace landing.

Legend

Just ending coverage while it's potentially a half destroyed pile of wreckage lol

Legend

Legend

Pretty odd that we barely know anything. Only update is that the camera set to watch the landing was not deployed, due to issues before the landing attempt: EagleCam Updates: Camera System Deployment Forthcoming | Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Newsroom

It's on the Moon and it's still alive, but it sure seems like they are struggling to communicate with it. A press conference will hopefully happen today to explain what they know and don't know.

the-pi-guy

Pretty odd that we barely know anything. Only update is that the camera set to watch the landing was not deployed, due to issues before the landing attempt: EagleCam Updates: Camera System Deployment Forthcoming | Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - Newsroom

It's on the Moon and it's still alive, but it sure seems like they are struggling to communicate with it. A press conference will hopefully happen today to explain what they know and don't know.
WHAT CAN WE SAY? IT WAS A ROUGH LANDING. SEVERAL DOO-DADS FELL OFF AND WE ARE STRUGGLING TO TURN THEM BACK ON TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I don&#39;t know why I felt compelled to write this. <br><br>But here we are. &nbsp;<br><br>

Legend

WHAT CAN WE SAY? IT WAS A ROUGH LANDING. SEVERAL DOO-DADS FELL OFF AND WE ARE STRUGGLING TO TURN THEM BACK ON TO GET MORE INFORMATION.

Spoiler for Hidden:

I don't know why I felt compelled to write this.

But here we are.  

Haha honestly I'd love to learn that. Right now the only facts are that the signal is faint and the lander is upright on the Moon. It might have been a perfect landing but have a boulder between it and Earth, it's all speculation fueled by their silence.

Started right after my post lol. Lander is on its side.

Legend

Came in hot. 2 m/s sideways velocity so it tipped over and is resting on a rock.

Wonder why it had that extra velocity. Also had 4 m/s or so down.

Legend

What an incredible mission all around. Got super super lucky.

They forgot to turn off the safety on the laser used for landing. It literally had a physical switch to enable it, and they forgot to enable it. Something else went wrong though so they tried using the laser the day before the landing. By the time they figured out it couldn't be switched on, they only had a few hours to cobble together an alternative solution using data from an unrelated payload. Very Apollo 13 like.

Legend

Picture of the lander on the Moon. You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.

Edt: reddit removed the pic. This was a joke photoshop.

Legend

Legend

It turns out that Odysseus landed on the Moon without any altimetry data | Ars Technica

Wow. Hot fix did not work and it landed all on its own. No height data for the last 12 minutes of flight. Thought it still had 100 meters to go when it hit the ground.

Legend

Feb 28, 2024, 06:59 PM Last Edit: Feb 28, 2024, 07:18 PM by Legend

New photo right at landing with the engine blasting. Landing gear broken within the pic.

Go Up