The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

Legend

My headset is back up and running.   ;D
Just reinstalled the Oculus software and Nvidia software.  
Party !!!  ;D ;D

Legend

Wow. Did the void vr thing.

VR was solid but it was so crazy just walking around in VR with hand tracking and other people.

the-pi-guy

Showed a bunch of people my headset, yesterday.  
Most of them were my uncles.  So mostly 50-55 year olds.  
They were blown away, and thought it was crazy.  

Legend

This was the thing I did.

Basically imagine being in VR visually but everything else is real. You can walk, touch objects with your bare hands, etc.

the-pi-guy

This was the thing I did.

Basically imagine being in VR visually but everything else is real. You can walk, touch objects with your bare hands, etc.
Cool.  That looks awesome.
I read up on the VOID when you mentioned it.  
That looks great, the headset and stuff even works with the experience of being in a suit.  

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Oculus was teasing a Yu-Gi-Oh VR game a few years ago.  Wonder what happened to it.  

Legend

Down in Florida I had the concept for a "dumb" VR headset. It'd have as little electronics as possible and ideally just be a peace of cheap plastic.

Then an external system would handle all tracking and somehow project the image onto the headset. The simplest method would be to make both eyes have small projector screens in front of them that can be directly projected onto.

Such a system could have a few big advantages over traditional VR.

• Extremely lightweight. From the user's perspective, it'd be just like wearing oversized glasses.
  • No heat generation. The face would stay cool and there wouldn't be problems with the lenses fogging or sweat making the system uncomfortable.
  • Cheap headset. If a lense gets scratched or another problem happens, the headset is cheap to replace. Also would make it feasible to have multiple headsets for additional users.
  • Hardware can be large. The projectors and other tech can be as large as needed since they aren't inside the headset.

It'd be overkill for home use but in a theme park setting it could be pretty useful if the kinks were worked out. It'd be especially nice for the types of rides that currently use 3D glasses.

Legend

I really hope ps5 comes with a next gen headset. Eye tracking would be so nice to have.

Also it'd be super awesome if PS5 allowed vr games to display the PS5 menu inside the world. Like a new version of PS Home that let you have a digital PS5. I'd love to play BC games and other less demanding things while in a VR world.

the-pi-guy

I really hope ps5 comes with a next gen headset. Eye tracking would be so nice to have.
I hope PS5 supports VR.  Even a modest upgrade over PSVR would be huge.  

Some of the PSVR problems are completely nonexistent on the nicer headsets and even things like resolution and field of view is poised to get a huge bump.  

Also it'd be super awesome if PS5 allowed vr games to display the PS5 menu inside the world. Like a new version of PS Home that let you have a digital PS5. I'd love to play BC games and other less demanding things while in a VR world.
Yeah this would be cool.  

I'd like it if you could play PS4 games in all kinds of environments.
It's really cool to be playing amongst the stars.  

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

It's a great game even without VR!
I've played it before and I know it's great.  
But I never felt compelled to play it.  

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Go Up