General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

Well I think it's way more likely that they can avoid death in the United States than in Africa (where death rates are around 90%). Still a deadly disease though.

Legend

we all have ebola?

The whole thing is really sad,   Just imagine getting sick,   then when you go to the doctor, your told there is a good chance your gonna die quickly and painfully, and youll be kept in an isolation chamber where no friends or family can be with you.

legend what you doing in canada?   lol  what province? :p   or was it just lay over on the way back?

Layover in Calgary.

the-pi-guy

we all have ebola?
The whole thing is really sad,   Just imagine getting sick,   then when you go to the doctor, your told there is a good chance your gonna die quickly and painfully, and youll be kept in an isolation chamber where no friends or family can be with you.
legend what you doing in canada?   lol  what province? :p   or was it just lay over on the way back?

It could be worse.  You could have gotten your family sick.  Imagine knowing that it's your fault.  That'd be killer by itself. 

the-pi-guy

Well I think it's way more likely that they can avoid death in the United States than in Africa (where death rates are around 90%). Still a deadly disease though.

I thought death rates were closer to 60% at the moment in Africa.  Could very well go up though. 
Still, I read in the neogaf thread about ebola, that similar diseases in America, while they didn't affect very many people still had a pretty high mortality rate.  Something like 33%.  No where near as high, but that's still scary high. 

Dr. Pezus

I thought death rates were closer to 60% at the moment in Africa.  Could very well go up though. 
Still, I read in the neogaf thread about ebola, that similar diseases in America, while they didn't affect very many people still had a pretty high mortality rate.  Something like 33%.  No where near as high, but that's still scary high. 

I've always read this 90% number but haven't really researched it myself. Maybe you're right. Where did you see 60%?
@other thing: Yes, it's high but you also have to remember that the risk of getting infected is way lower due to much better facilities and more trained staff etc.

the-pi-guy

I've always read this 90% number but haven't really researched it myself. Maybe you're right. Where did you see 60%?
@other thing: Yes, it's high but you also have to remember that the risk of getting infected is way lower due to much better facilities and more trained staff etc.

1711 cases, 932 deaths. 
932/1711 is closer to 55%, but I typically see them put 60%.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/08/06/ebola-nigeria-saudi-arabia-virus-death-toll/13663973/

That is true, but still if you do get it, it still isn't pretty. 

Dr. Pezus

Yep.

This is probably what the news outlets I read have been quoting: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

"EVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%."

up to 90%

Maybe that 55% will rise once it stops spreading and more of those already infected die.

the-pi-guy

Yep.
This is probably what the news outlets I read have been quoting: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/
"EVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%."
up to 90%
Maybe that 55% will rise once it stops spreading and more of those already infected die.

The original outbreak had a 90% fatality rate.  A more recent one had a 70%, I still expect this one to go up.  Hopefully not too much. 

Xevross

Yo, Legend! When are you going to set up a modded Minecraft server?

Legend

Yo, Legend! When are you going to set up a modded Minecraft server?

Yo we have a minecraft thread.

Also like today I guess?

Xevross

Yeah we do but cba finding it 8).... 1 sec I'll find it.

the-pi-guy

Once upon a time, I had a dream of a super fantastic device the size of a pool table.  The device would project holograms above it and would have slots on all sides to allow any video game title to be played. 
Ahhh, to be young again.  And also a robot. 

Xevross

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

Once upon a time, I had a dream of a super fantastic device the size of a pool table.  The device would project holograms above it and would have slots on all sides to allow any video game title to be played. 
Ahhh, to be young again.  And also a robot. 

I read that in Bill's voice

Go Up