The specs are out, predict launch prices!

Started by Legend, Mar 18, 2020, 05:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

i just want to see what this SSD structure really does for games and i keep wondering is xbox capable of doing similar things as what cery discussed in his GDC address despite its slower SSD?

if cerny's promise of being able to wipe out and replace the entire 16 Gb of ram "instantaneously" is really true then ps5 would basically have "infinite" ram.  to me that sounds like a bigger affect on visuals then 1.7 tf.   but then,.. can multiplat development even make use of it?  if a game on xbox is mandated to support the xbox one than it seems like taking advantage of this is not possible in multiplats without a lot of ps5 optimization.

vgchartz has thrown around the phrase "secret sauce".   i hate to agree with the haters but until sony shows a game utilizing their SSD it that's all this is.  
The PS5 SSD is not a secret sauce.

In a grossly simplified way, you can think of the XSX being 12 teraflops with 16 GB of RAM and the PS5 being 10 teraflops with 32 GB of RAM. Most games will have pros and cons split between the two systems.

This isn't like the current gen where PS4 beats XB1 in almost every way and Xbox One X beats PS4 Pro in almost every way.

In a less grossly simplified way, it's hard to predict how real world games will run just based off the spec sheets. It's possible that the PS5 GPU can out compete the XSX GPU since it has faster clocks and a different structure, and it's also possible that these factors work the other way and the XSX GPU crushes PS5's GPU. Just like last gen we need to wait for launch multiplats to really get an understanding of how the gen will play out.

the-pi-guy

Secret RAM sauce.  8)

the-pi-guy

Go Up