The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Ridiculously
0 (0%)
Very
1 (20%)
Somewhat
0 (0%)
Not at all
0 (0%)
Depends on my mood
4 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Go Down

Legend

For those that don't about ebay. Green means that the transaction is compete. A.K.A people are buying them for 1500.
Wonder how many they sold.

Could we all be wrong, and the $600 cost isn't deterring their target demographic?

DerNebel

basically this.

it's a personal pet peeve when european guys complain about how much things cost there.  oh sure,. the ps4 cost you $50 more but my family pays almost a thousand dollars a month for health insurance.   how much do you pay for that!?!?
Pretty big difference between the US not being able to get its freaking healthcare system in order and a company, that is backed by Facebook in case anybody's forgotten, ignoring what is pretty much the norm in the games industry while on top of that also using a completely awful international shipping system which adds another stupid extra cost. Why didn't they simply make a deal with Amazon in the countries that they intend to sell these in?

Sure you could say that they don't have to do any of that, but people in Europe also don't have to buy the Oculus and at this price you can be certain that they won't, so if they expect to have any chance at getting a foothold in Europe then they can't expect people to pay 750€ for this when the PSVR will probably be at least 250€ cheaper.

ZhugeEX

Legend

I blame facebook.

This price is so different than their comments a couple years back.

the-pi-guy

Wonder how many they sold.

Could we all be wrong, and the $600 cost isn't deterring their target demographic?
It's deterring me.  
There's always some people who are going to buy things.

Max King of the Wild

It would deter me if I played PC games. I mean, 600 isn't that bad for a console.... It's terrible for a peripheral

Dr. Pezus

Raven

Pretty big difference between the US not being able to get its freaking healthcare system in order and a company, that is backed by Facebook in case anybody's forgotten, ignoring what is pretty much the norm in the games industry while on top of that also using a completely awful international shipping system which adds another stupid extra cost. Why didn't they simply make a deal with Amazon in the countries that they intend to sell these in?

Sure you could say that they don't have to do any of that, but people in Europe also don't have to buy the Oculus and at this price you can be certain that they won't, so if they expect to have any chance at getting a foothold in Europe then they can't expect people to pay 750€ for this when the PSVR will probably be at least 250€ cheaper.
The fact is an American company should not have to incur even heavier losses on a product just because a European government charges that much more in taxes. How much money would Sony have lost in Brazil to keep the PS4 price at $400 there? Because I seem to recall it being two or three times more expensive there at launch. Foreign companies don't owe Europeans anything just because they live in a system that charges high tax rates on luxury goods to pay for their national healthcare or whatever other social system needs it. That's the price you pay for it. I'm not really surprised here. Seen plenty of Europeans on the internet who act like they deserve "free healthcare" AND affordable luxury items without giving a dang whose wallet takes a hit for it as long as it isn't theirs. His complaint is misguided. If the taxes on luxury items sucks that bad and he doesn't like it then he should try to motion for change. Not guilt a foreign company into lowering its price even further just so he can enjoy the fruits of a European social system while paying the same or close to the same luxury costs as a country that doesn't use such a system.

Also, I don't think many Americans will buy at that $600 cost anyways so whether or not Europeans do at theirs is a bit of a moot point. It's not going to sell that well anywhere.

Please know that I am not attacking anyone here or Europeans in general. I just don't have much patience for people like that guy who attacked the Rift because "Boohoo my country's taxes suck so it's up to YOU to do something about it".

kitler53

The fact is an American company should not have to incur even heavier losses on a product just because a European government charges that much more in taxes. How much money would Sony have lost in Brazil to keep the PS4 price at $400 there? Because I seem to recall it being two or three times more expensive there at launch. Foreign companies don't owe Europeans anything just because they live in a system that charges high tax rates on luxury goods to pay for their national healthcare or whatever other social system needs it. That's the price you pay for it. I'm not really surprised here. Seen plenty of Europeans on the internet who act like they deserve "free healthcare" AND affordable luxury items without giving a dang whose wallet takes a hit for it as long as it isn't theirs. His complaint is misguided. If the taxes on luxury items sucks that bad and he doesn't like it then he should try to motion for change. Not guilt a foreign company into lowering its price even further just so he can enjoy the fruits of a European social system while paying the same or close to the same luxury costs as a country that doesn't use such a system.

Also, I don't think many Americans will buy at that $600 cost anyways so whether or not Europeans do at theirs is a bit of a moot point. It's not going to sell that well anywhere.

Please know that I am not attacking anyone here or Europeans in general. I just don't have much patience for people like that guy who attacked the Rift because "Boohoo my country's taxes suck so it's up to YOU to do something about it".
follow-up. 

i ended up in the hospital a week or so ago with extreme dehydration after puking for a day.  3 liters of fluids via and IV. 
got my bill today: $3388 dollars.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Aura7541

follow-up.  

i ended up in the hospital a week or so ago with extreme dehydration after puking for a day.  3 liters of fluids via and IV.  
That is absolutely ridiculous...

Mmm_fish_tacos

follow-up.  

i ended up in the hospital a week or so ago with extreme dehydration after puking for a day.  3 liters of fluids via and IV.  
It's not the cost of issurence it's the cost of care.

Both my wife and the twins spent two months in the hospital for a grand total of 220,000 dollars.

Lets me give a little example of abuse by the hospitals for charging to much for care.

The medicine cost which consisted of Ibuprofen and a prescription that cost us 10 bucks at walmart. 8,500. WFT?

Raven

That is absolutely ridiculous...
The American medical system is such a ripoff. It's incredibly overpriced even for a country that doesn't have national healthcare. I had a migraine and wanted to leave work for the day. Boss told me I had to go to the hospital and get a note from the doctor saying I needed it. Yeah, that alone was battleship. Anyways, I spent a total of an hour in the emergency room. The doctor came in, didn't even talk to me for 10 minutes, told me what I already fudgy knew about migraines, and walked out. The nurse gave me two pills and told me to go home. What was my bill? One thousand fudgy dollars. Breaking it down... the sub-10 minute doctor "consultation" was $250. The pills? $3 combined. The remaining $750 on the bill was a bunch of jargon that could basically be summed up as "administrative costs". They asked me a couple questions, wrote down some information on a couple papers, handed me pills, interacted with me for maybe half the time I was there, and charged me over SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS with a dang smile.

I should have gone back and demanded the dang devil's flute I was apparently supposed to get.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Anyone else thinking vive might actually be cheaper?

Raven

Anyone else thinking vive might actually be cheaper?
Not sure. As others on here have pointed out, there is little doubt in my mind that Facebook had something to do with the increased cost compared to original expectations for Rift. I think a lot of people were expecting a $400 price point. That $600 tag is just too steep when you look at what Palmer Luckey was saying about pricing previously. He cautioned that it would be no cheaper than 350 but even he had basically said 600 was suicide. So, there is the possibility that Vive may actually be cheaper and the cost of Rift is inflated thanks to Facebook. If Vive is considerably cheaper, the short term success of PC VR may be saved. If not, it's going to take a lot longer for it to catch on than some people originally thought. Though considering the cost of the rig you'll need to effectively run either Vive or Rift, PSVR may be the only thing that allows VR to be relevant any time soon.

Max King of the Wild

The American medical system is such a ripoff. It's incredibly overpriced even for a country that doesn't have national healthcare. I had a migraine and wanted to leave work for the day. Boss told me I had to go to the hospital and get a note from the doctor saying I needed it. Yeah, that alone was battleship. Anyways, I spent a total of an hour in the emergency room. The doctor came in, didn't even talk to me for 10 minutes, told me what I already fudgy knew about migraines, and walked out. The nurse gave me two pills and told me to go home. What was my bill? One thousand fudgy dollars. Breaking it down... the sub-10 minute doctor "consultation" was $250. The pills? $3 combined. The remaining $750 on the bill was a bunch of jargon that could basically be summed up as "administrative costs". They asked me a couple questions, wrote down some information on a couple papers, handed me pills, interacted with me for maybe half the time I was there, and charged me over SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS with a dang smile.

I should have gone back and demanded the dang devil's flute I was apparently supposed to get.
Woah there buddy... Why the ER first off? Second, fudge your boss. Sue him.

Go Up