PS5 UI shown!

Started by the-pi-guy, Oct 15, 2020, 01:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

There's no quick resume it seems but games load from cold about as fast as they resume on series X, its just missing the jumping right back to where you were. I guess that's the sacrifice for extra storage space.

The new party stuff feels like the big new next gen thing with screen sharing and fast joining, the game helps activities and cards are nice but nothing crazy.

Feels like there's going to be no big surprising feature, the speed and party innovations are the main big thing. Everything like the store being integrated and the control centre mean its going to be so much smoother and faster than PS4, which is already pretty good. That's what matters most for launch, they can add more features down the line.

Big things missing was a look at the store, settings menus and stuff like that and no exploration of the home screen and how folders and media will work. We know games and media are separate though which is great.
my last meeting ended early with just enough time to watch the video.

1. i agree.  ps5 cold boot was very close to xbox quick resume.   
2. i think multi-quick resume was rumored anyways.
3. not every game will be able to support quick resume.   mp games like rocket league and destruction all stars just can't really quick resume.
4. in sackboy at least the cards showed the ability to "quick resume" from multiple locations in the game so in a lot of ways it is even more powerful than xbox.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

Live area was crud this is much more integrated.

Also new find, you can see at the 8:40 mark of the video both Sackboy and Destruction allstars are suspended:

PS5 can suspend multiple games for sure.
look at you Mr. Detective.  Lol

But its definitely gonna be awesome to be able to just have 2 or more games running at once and just swap between.

Xevross

look at you Mr. Detective.  Lol

But its definitely gonna be awesome to be able to just have 2 or more games running at once and just swap between.
I didn't spot any of these things I'm just reading the Era thread.

Also it seems we have no way of confirming that it means those games are suspended, so guess we have to hold that thought.

kitler53

Lets see if devs actually support cards this time lol.

PS4 does the same thing with live area but it was so easy to ignore. 
I share your concern.   this looks awesome in sackboy but that's a first party game.   to me this looks "expensive" to implement and thus might not be supported well.   however, it is very "front and center" so maybe developers will feel like they have to support it.

nnodley

I didn't spot any of these things I'm just reading the Era thread.

Also it seems we have no way of confirming that it means those games are suspended, so guess we have to hold that thought.
well shame.  I was trying to give you credit!

Well yeah but i can't imagine they wouldn't have that functionality.  Time will tell.  Hopefully bigger gaming sites get hands on soon so we can get consumer feedback.

kitler53

i want call out the throw away sentence that your media services will be on the bar.   thank goodness because that is my most hated part of the ps4 interface.

the-pi-guy

Really stupid but the 6 seconds of Destruction All Stars during this made me more excited than the announcement trailer. 

It just looks really fluid.

The announcement trailer felt stupid because of how over the top it looked. 

I am not saying I am excited for it, but I literally had negative interest in it before.

kitler53

Really stupid but the 6 seconds of Destruction All Stars during this made me more excited than the announcement trailer.  

I am not saying I am excited for it, but I literally had negative interest in it before.
i just want to see an un-edited match from start to finish.

kitler53

i wish we would have gotten to see the "music" section better.   it's an important feature to me and i think the spotify integration on ps4 was too featureless for my tastes.  i really, really want to be able to pick my music service but if i'm stuck with spotify at least make it so i don't feel like i need to curate lists on a PC in order to have anything worth listening to on playstation.

kitler53

reads though lots of posts.   it amazes me that the top 2 most common posts are:

1. "simple and clean"
2. "busy and cluttered"

the-pi-guy

reads though lots of posts.   it amazes me that the top 2 most common posts are:

1. "simple and clean"
2. "busy and cluttered"
Yep!  Can't make everyone happy.

kitler53

Yep!  Can't make everyone happy.
i know, it's just amazing how completely opposite the views seem to me.   

my first though is how fast and responsive everything is.   it's really not substantially different (from what they've shown) from ps4 other than how well integrated and fast the UiUx is.  same XMB bar.  same game pages.  parties.  share. ect.   only "activity cards" really stand out as new and i have great fears of them being mostly unsupported.

Xevross

Oct 15, 2020, 06:19 PM Last Edit: Oct 15, 2020, 06:27 PM by Xevross
reads though lots of posts.   it amazes me that the top 2 most common posts are:

1. "simple and clean"
2. "busy and cluttered"

Yeah and number 2 to me is baffling. The home menu looks incredible to me, people complaining about small icons and empty space are frickin crazy, that space gets filled by game info without lots of slow moving parts, its designed to be sleek and fast and it works so well.

The activity cards are my one worry, it looks like there's way too many of them and he had to go right for quite a while to be able to join his party in the other game, hopefully we can tweak that in some ways by changing the number of them we see or their ordering or grouping.

I know what you mean by this, its good actually seeing some running gameplay for it rather than quick cut shots. And I can see how the tone of the trailer might have put you off. It was easier to see here that it is actually a big budget AAA game.

the-pi-guy

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020, 06:54 PM Last Edit: Oct 15, 2020, 06:56 PM by kitler53
I know what you mean by this, its good actually seeing some running gameplay for it rather than quick cut shots. And I can see how the tone of the trailer might have put you off. It was easier to see here that it is actually a big budget AAA game.
what makes you think it is a big budget AAA game?   because it has a character editor?

Watch from 8:10 to 8:22 and you see all 3 characters feet are below the floor.  doesn't really scream high effort to me...

Go Up