Valve: Steam Deck

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 15, 2021, 04:55 PM

previous topic - next topic

Dr. Pezus

Jul 15, 2021, 11:12 PM Last Edit: Jul 15, 2021, 11:22 PM by Dr. Pezus
Yeah psn sales are quite good. Yes, not steam sales level yet, but they are pretty awesome.

Portability is awesome, but it just too expensive IMO. For me to consider this it should be cheaper.

Is this powered by Windows? Should we expect MS games to be on this?
STEAM OS which is Linux based but shares some similarities with Windows. You can also install anything on it just like a normal Pc. Which means you can use it with Windows if you want to.

kitler53

too expensive.  too big. 

also i don't have a steam library which i feel undercuts their main selling point.  i can maybe see existing steam customers to be excited but this won't bring in new customers. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Yeah psn sales are quite good. Yes, not steam sales level yet, but they are pretty awesome.

Portability is awesome, but it just too expensive IMO. For me to consider this it should be cheaper.

Is this powered by Windows? Should we expect MS games to be on this?
It's really just a pc

Valve will let Steam Deck owners install Epic Games Store, Windows OS - Polygon

Legend

Reddit is in love with this but I don't know if that's a good or bad sign. It's at least being talked about.

the-pi-guy

Jul 16, 2021, 10:32 PM Last Edit: Jul 16, 2021, 11:40 PM by the-pi-guy
Reddit is in love with this but I don't know if that's a good or bad sign. It's at least being talked about.
Era has several large threads about it.
Preorder thread - 3000 posts
Announcement thread - 3000 posts
Impressions thread - 1000 posts
Probably another 1,000  posts across the digital foundry thread, another preorder thread, a couple of threads comparing to the Switch pro/2. 

I saw a post on Reddit, wasn't much context, but it sounded like from the reservation numbers, there were 100k preorders.

Dr. Pezus

I wouldn't be surprised if it's popular. Sounds sweet. Also, I don't know how 399 is too expensive for a mobile gaming PC

the-pi-guy

too expensive.  too big.

also i don't have a steam library which i feel undercuts their main selling point.  i can maybe see existing steam customers to be excited but this won't bring in new customers.
Do you have any PC games?

the-pi-guy

Well after letting it brew some.  

Still bulky and ugly.  

As a device, I'm not sure if I would want to play on this. Games like Age of Empires, I can't imagine would be great to play on this. A lot of other games I already have elsewhere.

The prospect of playing Starfield or remote playing off a PS5 though, is kind of cool.  

kitler53

Do you have any PC games?
not really.  my PC gaming days pre-date the rise of steam so what I have is not tied to a service/account. .  I still have my discs for WoW, WC3, riven, exile and a few others but I"m  not sure I could successfully install them today. 

my only game on steam is I claimed the original portal when it was offered for free one time. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I wouldn't be surprised if it's popular. Sounds sweet. Also, I don't know how 399 is too expensive for a mobile gaming PC
From that perspective it could be sweet. A relatively cheap way to get into pc gaming with all the advantages of the switch form factor.

BananaKing

How many tflops is the GPU?

the-pi-guy

How many tflops is the GPU?
The spec sheet says 1 - 1.6 TF.

Performance could be a concern.

Cons:
- less than half the performance of the Series S in the best case, a quarter in the worst case
- not likely to get hardware level optimizations.
- a lot of games will likely run through the Proton layer which will cut down performance even more.

Pros:
- low resolution
- PC games are very adjustable

BananaKing

The spec sheet says 1 - 1.6 TF.

Performance could be a concern.

Cons:
- less than half the performance of the Series S in the best case, a quarter in the worst case
- not likely to get hardware level optimizations.
- a lot of games will likely run through the Proton layer which will cut down performance even more.

Pros:
- low resolution
- PC games are very adjustable

1-1.6 is a bit too low IMO.

If you want to get this to play PC games, it won't support the high end games for long. When I buy a console I know I will get 99% of games for the 7-8 year lifespan it has.

What should I expect out of this? 4-5 years, then games that aren't really all that technically demanding.

Still its a nice concept, and I hope its a success, since future models can be even better.

darkknightkryta

I have a GPD Win 3.  I use it every day.  If I didn't have that, I'd buy this in a heart beat.  Will probably by this thing's second revision.

the-pi-guy

2.8 million views
1 million views
800k views
500k views

Likely over 10,000 posts on Era about the Steam Deck.

And it all seems very positive.  

This could actually be fairly successful, unless something comes up

Go Up