Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I watched Monster Hunter.

Xevross

Jul 11, 2021, 09:03 AM Last Edit: Jul 11, 2021, 10:06 AM by Xevross
$13.2M previews for Black Widow, by far the biggest since Star Wars Ep 9 in 2019. Expectations are its heading for about a $85-90m weekend given that its on Disney+ and fewer families will turn up at the cinema. Without D+ probably would be thinking over $100m with those previews.
Weekend is gonna turn out way lower than thought, gonna be about $78-81m. Seems disney plus premier access has really killed the money from family audiences at the cinema. Saturday for an MCU film would always increase from friday before but now we're looking at over 10% down. There's no way BW should have only opened $10m about Fast 9. If they both came out as expected last year you'd be looking at a $30m difference at least according to expectations. But the main difference here is F9 was a theatres only release.

Its an interesting situation. For Disney the money they receive will have increased on the opening weekend, but they'll lose out big time on repeat viewings from people rewatching on D+ or pirating. And other countries like China will be affected big time by the easy piracy that it gives, so overall they probably lose money from this approach. And then movie theaters lose out the most of course because they just straight up lose revenue due to the hit on ticket sales from this.

That's probably why they're going away from it soon, we'll see how Shang Chi does with the strategy of Disney+ PA 45 days after theatric release, that's probably a good middle ground.

Legend

i watched michells bs the machines on netflix last night.  i was really good.   like really good not,.. just good for a gamepass netflix movie.   much much better than the things i've watched from disney this year like luca and soul.   luca was legit terrible.  still want to watch raya.
Wow. Legit thank you for your post.

Wrote it off as just a dumb Netflix film. Ended up liking it more than soul too. Wish this team/studio earned more recognition.

the-pi-guy

The director was also the creative director for season 1 of gravity falls.  :o

I'll watch this tomorrow I think.

Legend

I rewatched 2001 Space Odyssey. Really liked the horror of just seeing an object from aliens. Most movies just introduce aliens and skip over the cosmic dread of such an encounter.

Rest of it is pretty slow, but amazing hard si fi for 1968. It's like they expected the public to call them out on mistakes due to Apollo public interest.

kitler53

Wow. Legit thank you for your post.

Wrote it off as just a dumb Netflix film. Ended up liking it more than soul too. Wish this team/studio earned more recognition.
welcome. 

I came in not entirely writing off because I really liked the trailer but at the same time I have low expectations for Netflix films. 

Netflix has done much better this year then in years prior but mostly that has meant good instead of bad.  

i really loved this one.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Black widow was fun. The movie was all over the place and poor in many ways but I enjoyed my time with it.

Legend

I can't get over a lot of stupid elements from the film lol. (no spoilers beyond what is in trailers)

Like Black Widow escapes from the "Red Room" which traumatized and tortured her growing up, but this movie retcons/reveals that her name, her outfit, and her symbol all come from this organization. It'd be like a person escaping their life as a hydra soldier yet they still wear their hydra uniform and put hydra logos on all their branding.

Dr. Pezus

I can't get over a lot of stupid elements from the film lol. (no spoilers beyond what is in trailers)

Like Black Widow escapes from the "Red Room" which traumatized and tortured her growing up, but this movie retcons/reveals that her name, her outfit, and her symbol all come from this organization. It'd be like a person escaping their life as a hydra soldier yet they still wear their hydra uniform and put hydra logos on all their branding.

Good point. It felt weird. And the whole family dynamic.

Was a better movie than I was expecting though. Very nice action scenes. A bit disappointed with the villain not being more fleshed out.

Legend

Good point. It felt weird. And the whole family dynamic.

Was a better movie than I was expecting though. Very nice action scenes. A bit disappointed with the villain not being more fleshed out.
I enjoyed Florence Pugh and David Harbour's acting. Just re-editing the movie probably could have put it in the upper half of Marvel quality for me.

Dr. Pezus

I enjoyed Florence Pugh and David Harbour's acting. Just re-editing the movie probably could have put it in the upper half of Marvel quality for me.
Yeah David Harbour was hilarious actually and Florence Pugh did really well. She did the action scenes intensely

Legend

I love how they can only tease the weird stupid stuff in Dune. Can't wait to actually see the bad guy floating around like a balloon.

BananaKing

I love how they can only tease the weird stupid stuff in Dune. Can't wait to actually see the bad guy floating around like a balloon.
It looks good. I wonder how faithful they will be to the book. I also wonder how they will do a sequel, because the second book sucks and certainly doesn't work as a block buster movie

Legend

It looks good. I wonder how faithful they will be to the book. I also wonder how they will do a sequel, because the second book sucks and certainly doesn't work as a block buster movie
Pretty sure they are cutting a bunch from this film to save for the next. It's gonna suck if the second movie never happens.

kitler53

so i feel like i should say this first; i've never seen or read dune.   i know nothing about the story.   

...that was a pretty awesome looking trailer.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up