Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

It seems really weird that Disney/Marvel wouldn't respond. Seems like a straightforward lawsuit, even though dear gosh big actors are overpaid. Surely that $50 million loss is miscalculated in some way.
I'm going to assume that $50 million is a fairly rosey estimate in favor of Scarlett.  ...but I think a reasonable estimate would be easy to calculate: for each Disney+ rental assume 4 boxoffice ticket sales were missed and give her the share of those her contract entitled her too. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Jul 30, 2021, 05:01 AM Last Edit: Jul 30, 2021, 05:07 AM by the-pi-guy
I ended up finally watching the Mitchells vs the Machines.  

Was a bit overproduced I guess for my tastes. But was great.
The movie knows how to hit hard.  

Two of the characters gave me the strangest Gravity Falls vibe.  Some of the mannerisms of the dad are similar to the uncle in gravity falls.

Compared to Soul, there's a similar theme

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>about dreams/aspirations, albeit in different contexts. <br><br>Considering how I&#39;ve been feeling this year, I had expected Soul to hit me harder. I can&#39;t really think of why it failed to, at the moment. <br><br>I thought it was a good movie, and in a superficial kind of way it&#39;s a lot closer to the type movie I wanted than this one. While I have a hard time coming up with flaws for the movie, it just doesn&#39;t feel like a great movie. <br><br>Despite my reservations, Mitchell&#39;s hit so much harder, probably due to contextualizing the relationship with it. &nbsp;<br>

And on the whole I think it was a way better movie than Soul.

Legend

Mortal Kombat movie was great. The violence made it so much more interesting than most movies with fighting. Was also incredibly authentic to the games haha.

BananaKing

Mortal Kombat movie was great. The violence made it so much more interesting than most movies with fighting. Was also incredibly authentic to the games haha.
I wouldnt call it great. Id call it enjoyable. Definitely want to watch the sequel though

Legend

I wouldnt call it great. Id call it enjoyable. Definitely want to watch the sequel though
Great for its genre/expectations.

the-pi-guy

Do you ever stop and think how the RDJ Sherlock movies are retroactively better than the Sherlock TV show?

Legend

I've never watched the show.

the-pi-guy

I've never watched the show.
Implying you've seen the movie(s), thus proving the point!  

the-pi-guy

Been wanting to rewatch Lord of the Rings, and finally getting wifey on board to watch it for the first time.  

Some negatives:

There are two or so scenes with the Ents that feel like they had to have looked bad when the movie came out.
A lot of the movie holds up remarkably well, but those two scenes look remarkably bad.  

Frodo's side of the story is kind of boring. Always felt that way. Feels like it moves slower.  

So many positives though. It's incredible these movies have been made.

the-pi-guy

I feel like it might be silly to talk about the Lord of the Rings. They are incredibly popular, but I'm obsessing and I want to talk about them.  ;D

According to IMDB:Top movies
The 3 movies are all in the top 15, which is crazy.  

But what makes them so good?

I think what makes these movies incredibly special is the combination of great scenes, great movies on an individual level and how they fit together.  

The movies each have scenes that I think are incredible and for different reasons.  

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><br><div style="text-align:center;margin:auto;padding:5px;max-width:560px;"><div style="position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%;padding-top:0px;height:0;overflow:hidden;" class="youtube mJZZNHekEQw"> <iframe style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mJZZNHekEQw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div><br><br><div style="text-align:center;margin:auto;padding:5px;max-width:560px;"><div style="position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%;padding-top:0px;height:0;overflow:hidden;" class="youtube m_mPE9gcQJo"> <iframe style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m_mPE9gcQJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div><br><br><div style="text-align:center;margin:auto;padding:5px;max-width:560px;"><div style="position:relative;padding-bottom:56.25%;padding-top:0px;height:0;overflow:hidden;" class="youtube O_FmqI7QKck"> <iframe style="position:absolute;top:0;left:0;width:100%;height:100%;" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O_FmqI7QKck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div><br><br>

A lot of what makes these scenes great is some combination of good casting, good acting, good special effects for the time.  
But most importantly Tolkien's good writing.  

I saw it mentioned on Reddit that each movie is a good movie on their own. And I think there's some amount of truth to that.

Even to the point where if for some reason only one of the movies existed, I think it would still be an enjoyable experience. Collectively they'd be worse, you'd miss out on the adventure, and the overall context.
But I think they'd still be good movies.  

If you just watched the second one, you'd get a pretty good tale about beating Saruman.  
If you just watched the third one, you'd get a pretty good tale about beating Sauron.  
I think the first one is a little weaker in this regard, and it would end on a more hopeless note, but it still has a conflict resolution.

Together though, they truly make for an adventure.

BananaKing

They are absolutely amazing movies. The characters, writing, lore, creativity and setting is what makes them so special. Basically everything Hollywood is shame at now.

I just watched them like a year and a half ago for the first time. They are awesome, and I been thinking I need to rematch them again. I only seen the extended version, and I plan on only seeing them. I cant believe the 3rd one removed the saroman scenes from the original movie.

Also, while the hobbit movies aren't as good. They are still amazing.

the-pi-guy

Dr. Pezus

I feel like it might be silly to talk about the Lord of the Rings. They are incredibly popular, but I'm obsessing and I want to talk about them.  ;D

According to IMDB:Top movies
The 3 movies are all in the top 15, which is crazy.  

But what makes them so good?

I think what makes these movies incredibly special is the combination of great scenes, great movies on an individual level and how they fit together.  

The movies each have scenes that I think are incredible and for different reasons.  

Spoiler for Hidden:

A lot of what makes these scenes great is some combination of good casting, good acting, good special effects for the time.  
But most importantly Tolkien's good writing.  

I saw it mentioned on Reddit that each movie is a good movie on their own. And I think there's some amount of truth to that.

Even to the point where if for some reason only one of the movies existed, I think it would still be an enjoyable experience. Collectively they'd be worse, you'd miss out on the adventure, and the overall context.
But I think they'd still be good movies.  

If you just watched the second one, you'd get a pretty good tale about beating Saruman.  
If you just watched the third one, you'd get a pretty good tale about beating Sauron.  
I think the first one is a little weaker in this regard, and it would end on a more hopeless note, but it still has a conflict resolution.

Together though, they truly make for an adventure.
Incredible trilogy. Watched it so many times. It's so imaginative, exciting, well acted, fun and funny. It's also dark in places while bright in others. Just a wonderful experience

Not to mention how brilliant everything is from the music, cinematography, directing and costumes (this was especially groundbreaking!)

Legend

I've been wanting to rewatch all 6 of them. The Battle of Five Armies keeps airing on tv and while it's always showing a dumb scene it still kinda hooks me.

Also fun fact, the prancing pony is the name of the inn they stop at before heading out on their journey. SpaceX built a restaurant called the prancing pony for their Mars launch pad.

kitler53

gonna be honest,.. the movies didn't do it for me.  amazing books and i will say traslating them to the movies is not an easy task.   ...but some of the changes they made to the story was just dumb.  i didn't hate the movies.. really i liked them enough.   still didn't love them.  

one of my personal complaints; the music.   it has been praised to high hell but tbh the score needed to be at least double what it was for the 9 hours of movie shown.  they kept repeating the same musical phrase over and over and over again until it pissed me off.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up