General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

batteries are terrible for the environment to make and recycle. 

lithium is a very limited resource on earth,. there really isn't enough for it to be the backbone of our energy needs.

hydrogen is more energy dense.  to get a car to go a mere 300 miles on EV batteries it currently takes hundreds of pounds of battery.  a compressed hydrogen car will exceed 1000.  a liquid hydrogen car would be 10,000.

EV is slow to charge hence why no is talking about battery as a service.  to go long distance you need to swap batteries.  compressed hydrogen could be refueled like a gas car.

That's what I mean about batteries being unsolvable. They're not environmentally friendly to produce, charging takes a long time, and range leads more to be desired.  But are all these problems fundamentally unsolvable due to laws of physics or are they just difficult problems with our current technologies? 
Just because the tech doesn't exist today, doesn't mean there can't exist "miracle batteries" in 20/50/100 years that have 3 or 30 times the energy capacity and able to charge in 30 seconds. 

Those are current battery problems, and a good reason why hydrogen is currently better. But this seemingly assumes that electric hits a wall while hydrogen improves from some standpoint.  In other words what in the future makes hydrogen more viable than it is right now/makes electric less viable than it is right now?

I find it problematic because batteries as a concept are way more open ended. They don't have to be lithium ion, for example.

kitler53

Jul 18, 2021, 03:42 AM Last Edit: Jul 18, 2021, 03:45 AM by kitler53
... doesn't mean there can't exist "miracle batteries" in 20/50/100 years that have 3 or 30 times the energy capacity and able to charge in 30 seconds. 

i mean, there are some basic laws of physics to talk about.

An iphone  has about 3000 mAh of storage capacity.  When changed on a 110 V source (N.America's standard) it will take 15 minutes to transfer the required power to charge the phone.

A tesla has waaaay more capacity.  what i found online is 8640000 mAh.   So when charged on a 110 V source it should take 720 hours to recharge.  to quote tesla: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/faq

Can I use a normal 110 volt outlet to charge?
Yes. An adapter for a 110 volt outlet (NEMA 5-15) is included as standard equipment with all new Tesla cars. This provides approximately two to four miles of range per hour of charge depending on the car. For the best home charging experience, we recommend installing a Wall Connector.
The wall adaptor is to increase the voltage to get the change time down to about 12 hours. 

...but if you are talking about a miracle battery with 30 times the capacity you're also talking about 30 times the charge time (12 * 30 = 360 hours)  or 30 times voltage.   there is kind of a limit of how high you can take that voltage before it's just not safe to be installed in a home.  it's kinda like trying to fill a pool with a garden hose and then saying "but what if i make the pool bigger?"

i mean, i'm not going to say that there is no room for improvement on batteries but from what i understand battery technolgy has hit a wall.  the hydrogen economy isn't without problems either.   platinum is more plentiful and less toxic than lithium but it's still not great of the environment to make a fuel cell.  most fuel cell how issues with poisoning.  but, imo, the problems are more solvable than seeing vast improvements in batteries.

in the end,.. cars are a bit of the more challenging problem.  the hydrogen economy will probably replace fossil fuels in industrial power generation first.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Dr. Pezus

i mean, there are some basic laws of physics to talk about.

An iphone  has about 3000 mAh of storage capacity.  When changed on a 110 V source (N.America's standard) it will take 15 minutes to transfer the required power to charge the phone.

A tesla has waaaay more capacity.  what i found online is 8640000 mAh.   So when charged on a 110 V source it should take 720 hours to recharge.  to quote tesla: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/faq

The wall adaptor is to increase the voltage to get the change time down to about 12 hours.  

...but if you are talking about a miracle battery with 30 times the capacity you're also talking about 30 times the charge time (12 * 30 = 360 hours)  or 30 times voltage.   there is kind of a limit of how high you can take that voltage before it's just not safe to be installed in a home.  it's kinda like trying to fill a pool with a garden hose and then saying "but what if i make the pool bigger?"

i mean, i'm not going to say that there is no room for improvement on batteries but from what i understand battery technolgy has hit a wall.  the hydrogen economy isn't without problems either.   platinum is more plentiful and less toxic than lithium but it's still not great of the environment to make a fuel cell.  most fuel cell how issues with poisoning.  but, imo, the problems are more solvable than seeing vast improvements in batteries.

in the end,.. cars are a bit of the more challenging problem.  the hydrogen economy will probably replace fossil fuels in industrial power generation first.  

Why would you need to charge at home? Do you get gas at home?
Tesla is making chargers all over which can charge a few hundred km range in a few minutes already

the-pi-guy

The plane had a selection of games to play. Most of them were normal like flappy bird, 2048.

Then there was a game called mod7.  I can't find anything about it online. No idea what the rules are.  

kitler53

The plane had a selection of games to play. Most of them were normal like flappy bird, 2048.

Then there was a game called mod7.  I can't find anything about it online. No idea what the rules are.  
easy. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_arithmetic

Legend

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

The game was weird though.
Selecting a 9 or a 6 was an automatic lose.
So I figured that the rule was 2(mod 7) or -1 (mod 7) were fails. Strangely didn't seem to hold, selecting a 5 and a 4, I believe wasn't a loss.  

Legend

The game was weird though.
Selecting a 9 or a 6 was an automatic lose.
So I figured that the rule was 2(mod 7) or -1 (mod 7) were fails. Strangely didn't seem to hold, selecting a 5 and a 4, I believe wasn't a loss.  
Sounds like...

Legend

I slept well for the first time in a long time. Amazing.

the-pi-guy

As a wisconsinite, mountains are weird.  

It's strange to drive towards something and have the size barely change in a 20 minute drive.

Legend

It's strange to drive towards something and have the size barely change in a 20 minute drive.
Haha but it's nice always knowing which direction is west.

kitler53

I didn't realize your a wisconsinite. 

the-pi-guy

I didn't realize your a wisconsinite.

'fraid so.  

kitler53

'fraid so.  
you say that like it's a bad thing.  I enjoyed my years in Wisconsin. 

...or are you in the trump country parts?   in which case I'm sorry. 

Go Up