General Discussion Thread

Viewing single post

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Jul 18, 2021, 03:42 AM Last Edit: Jul 18, 2021, 03:45 AM by kitler53
... doesn't mean there can't exist "miracle batteries" in 20/50/100 years that have 3 or 30 times the energy capacity and able to charge in 30 seconds. 

i mean, there are some basic laws of physics to talk about.

An iphone  has about 3000 mAh of storage capacity.  When changed on a 110 V source (N.America's standard) it will take 15 minutes to transfer the required power to charge the phone.

A tesla has waaaay more capacity.  what i found online is 8640000 mAh.   So when charged on a 110 V source it should take 720 hours to recharge.  to quote tesla: https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/faq

Can I use a normal 110 volt outlet to charge?
Yes. An adapter for a 110 volt outlet (NEMA 5-15) is included as standard equipment with all new Tesla cars. This provides approximately two to four miles of range per hour of charge depending on the car. For the best home charging experience, we recommend installing a Wall Connector.
The wall adaptor is to increase the voltage to get the change time down to about 12 hours. 

...but if you are talking about a miracle battery with 30 times the capacity you're also talking about 30 times the charge time (12 * 30 = 360 hours)  or 30 times voltage.   there is kind of a limit of how high you can take that voltage before it's just not safe to be installed in a home.  it's kinda like trying to fill a pool with a garden hose and then saying "but what if i make the pool bigger?"

i mean, i'm not going to say that there is no room for improvement on batteries but from what i understand battery technolgy has hit a wall.  the hydrogen economy isn't without problems either.   platinum is more plentiful and less toxic than lithium but it's still not great of the environment to make a fuel cell.  most fuel cell how issues with poisoning.  but, imo, the problems are more solvable than seeing vast improvements in batteries.

in the end,.. cars are a bit of the more challenging problem.  the hydrogen economy will probably replace fossil fuels in industrial power generation first.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens