Recent Posts

Pages 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Gaming Community / Re: Say Anything About The Gam...
Last post by kitler53 - Apr 20, 2024, 10:14 PM
Elden Ring does have plenty of things in the middle. There's even boss fights in the middle of nowhere. Random NPCs.

I personally think Skyrim's open world is good (even if it's not good for Kitler).
Elden Ring is like the antithesis of Skyrim's open world in a ton of different ways.

yeah but to me they aren't really designed to be "open world".   they are always tethered to a location and if you step outside of the boundaries they de-aggro and reset.  the design of the bosses are the same as if it was a very linear game with a "boss room".    ...expect even worse because 
1. the open world area never makes the boss fight more interesting.   it's always a boring wide open field.
2. the bosses are all easy to cheese.   you can just leave the aggro area to reset the boss.  the bosses didn't even reset their life bar so the could easily be cheesed via a quick attack and run.    aka boring and worse than the previous games.
Last post by the-pi-guy - Apr 20, 2024, 07:12 PM
Open worlds when just used to select a mission suck. Modern ones are built like themeparks so you have plenty of activities/distractions along the way, but it's still just activity selection.

There have been true open world games. Rain World and Death Stranding both use traversal as gameplay for example. Minecraft like games would count too imo.
Elden Ring does have plenty of things in the middle. There's even boss fights in the middle of nowhere. Random NPCs.

I personally think Skyrim's open world is good (even if it's not good for Kitler).
Elden Ring is like the antithesis of Skyrim's open world in a ton of different ways.
Last post by kitler53 - Apr 20, 2024, 05:58 PM
rain world and death stranding are both backlog games for me.  maybe I should prioritize them. 

dragons dogma (from the trailers) appears to at least make better use of open world design to me.   makes me want to try it. 

...but I think you phrases it well.  most "open worlds" are just level selection hubs filled with dumb collectibles.  it is such a bad design and why I prefer linear games or "metroidvania" designs. 
Last post by Legend - Apr 20, 2024, 05:48 PM
Open worlds when just used to select a mission suck. Modern ones are built like themeparks so you have plenty of activities/distractions along the way, but it's still just activity selection.

There have been true open world games. Rain World and Death Stranding both use traversal as gameplay for example. Minecraft like games would count too imo.
Off-Topic Community / Re: Movie Thread
Last post by the-pi-guy - Apr 20, 2024, 04:59 PM
Overall was fine to good.  Not as good as the first 3, but not a bad movie at all.
First part of the movie was the worst.

There were some parts that didn't flow very well. It also felt kind of kid pandering

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>It feels like the movie kind of retcons something. <br><br>The first movie makes the Dragon Warrior, a specific person that they&#39;ve been waiting for 500 years for. <br><br>This one makes it a position and has Po pick a successor Dragon Warrior<br>&nbsp;<br><br>
Off-Topic Community / Re: Movie Thread
Last post by the-pi-guy - Apr 20, 2024, 02:20 PM
Watching Kung Fu Panda 4 as part of a birthday party for one of the kids in Bens class.
Last post by kitler53 - Apr 20, 2024, 01:20 PM
it's not that that eldin ring "stinks" it's just that the transition to open world made the game worse in every way.    this is kind of timely because i came here specifically to mention that i finally started playing spiderman and the executive summary is: open world game design still sucks.

spiderman (i'm on the first in case that wasn't clear).    reminds me a lot the batman arkham city.   overall the game is fine but the pacing of the main story line is not improved by the:
1. go here to start a mission
2. do a mission
3. now go here to start another mission   ...or if you prefer here is a check-list of 1,000 not very engaging activities you can grid!!

it might just be me sucking or whatever but the combat system isn't really clicking with me.   spiderman has soo many "assisted animations" that i find combat to be very hard to control.   not sure if that phrase means anything but to summarize spiderman has a lot of situational animations to pick a thing in the environment and interact with it.   it makes sense why insomiac is doing that because it would be waaaay to complicated to play the game without them and then the combat wouldn't feel very "spiderman like".   ...but it also makes things feel like i'm only half in control of the game.

...and then it has all of the flaws of open world games (such as eldin ring).

encounters all feel like a check-list.   enemies are always tethered to a location so if you ever lose control of the fight you just move outside of the aggro radius and the encounter is on pause.   perhaps i just shouldn't do it but the game makes it soo easy to cheese that i can't help but to do it.

has there ever been a truly open world game??   one where the use of open world is actually part of the design and thus justified??    not just a series of "linear game designed elements" with shaming pacing?

Gaming Community / Re: Rise of the Ronin |OT|
Last post by Horizon - Apr 20, 2024, 10:25 AM
I keep hearing really strong things about the game.

People seem to feel like reviewers were too harsh on the game.
I'd say the reviews should be higher. An 8 might be a fairer score. The combat is very addictive and there's lots of depth with customisation and weapons. There's also lots of characters to bond with and learn more about. Story is interesting enough so far and there lasting decisions to make. Like at the end of chapter 1 you have a major decision which will have a big outcome on the story for the rest of the game.
Off-Topic Community / Re: General Discussion Thread
Last post by Legend - Apr 20, 2024, 05:06 AM
Oh no my extension that skips youtube ads stopped working!

It was so incredible. Automatically clicked the skip button the second it popped up. Hopefully it gets fixed.
Last post by the-pi-guy - Apr 20, 2024, 04:07 AM
Wow Elden Ring must stink!
Nah, it's definitely a great game.

It just doesn't offer a lot of what made the Souls games so fun.

To be honest, there are some silly reasons.

Like Uncharted 3, I felt a little bothered that they changed the pacing of the combat from 2.

It's kind of a similar thing with Elden Ring. There's lots of different weapons, but I haven't really found one that clicks with me. The game feels good, it doesn't feel great though.

It's all these little things, like how the character moves, and how quickly you can swing different swords. I haven't really found a sword in Elden Ring that really fits what I want (and I'm not sure there is one).

It's not necessarily enough for me, for a game to have the "right mechanics". There's also a feel aspect. 

And it bugs me a lot with Ghost of Tsushima. It has a number of similar combat mechanics to Dark Souls. I think one of the controller mapping even is the same as DS. But it's too loose.
Pages 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10